Rod to match Abu Ambassador 6000

rawson

Reaction score
I have a 70's Red Ambassador 6000 multiplier and would like to purchase a suitable rod to match up with this fantastic old school multiplier reel. Whilst I appreciate it depends on what type of fishing I intend to do , rivers conditions etc. I just thought I would put it out there, I'm on a tight budget because I will be looking at buying fly fishing gear as well at some point and know that could get costly and will have to try before I buy. Can't see me fishing in heavy spring conditions, not yet anyway.
So rod to suit the 6000, what would you suggest I look for. New , old school, 2nd hand weight rating etc?

p.s And are they termed 'bait casting rods' as against a spinning rod if so what is the difference.
Thanks ,Martin

chrishconnolly

Reaction score
Minimum 10 feet in my opinion depends on the size of rivers you will be fishing.
I use an 11 fter but I fish the Tay so needs the longer and stronger rod to punt out heavy leads with the floating Devon.
Lots of good second hand rods available that will suit using that reel.
Give me some more info on where you will be fishing and what's the top end of your budget for a rod and I will suggest a few.

Chris

rawson

Reaction score
Hi Chris budget iro £50-£100 I guess.
I live next to the Tees, and obviously will look at fishing Yorkshire and Tyneside I guess initially.
I will be looking for Fly rods reels at some point too, but my fist fishing is plnned on North Tyne all gear supplied.
I

rawson

Reaction score
Minimum 10 feet in my opinion depends on the size of rivers you will be fishing.
I use an 11 fter but I fish the Tay so needs the longer and stronger rod to punt out heavy leads with the floating Devon.
Lots of good second hand rods available that will suit using that reel.
Give me some more info on where you will be fishing and what's the top end of your budget for a rod and I will suggest a few.

Chris

rawson

Reaction score
Hi Chris, my problem is that I really don't have a clue what I'm going to need as I don't know where I'll end up fishing. I thought I could get a rod that would cover a wider range of situations as possible and build from that. Budget not an issue, I'm looking carefully over my shoulder for the wife! But we all like a bargain and happy with quality 2nd hand stuff.

Rennie

Reaction score
Rawson, the Abu 6000 is a class reel right enough, however it’s a Multiplier and multipliers respond better when casting heavier baits on bigger rivers, or in higher water. They need a bit of expertise in using them and lighter baits in low water or indeed small rivers might not be an enjoyable time for you, I don’t know of your Angling back ground or where you want to fish, but you will fair much better with a fixed spool reel, initially any way.
Best of luck, Pedro.

ArchieL

Reaction score
I have had lots of multipliers over the years , As Rennie states they work better with a heavy lure or weight on the end and i would advise a rod which has a soft tip but still plenty of strength in the mid to but section. Using these reels is not easy to start with and casting should involve a nice fluid smooth motion with no jerkyness. Hard to describe the cast you do but it is more like sweeping the rod from behind you at the side to the point where you release the finger off the drum. Soft tip rods compensate for errors IMO . Without being cheeky i would suggest getting a fixed spool reel first then transferring or having a go with the multiplier as you will get frustrated if you get overruns every cast.

charlieH

Reaction score
Using these reels is not easy to start with and casting should involve a nice fluid smooth motion with no jerkyness. Hard to describe the cast you do but it is more like sweeping the rod from behind you at the side to the point where you release the finger off the drum.

I agree with your description of the cast. I learned to cast a multiplier before I ever used a fixed spool reel, for no reason other than that was what everyone used where I was fishing (the Wye). But one piece of advice I was given back then, and which might be helpful to anyone learning, is that casting a multiplier is like bowling a cricket ball, whereas casting a fly (and I suppose a fixed spool reel too) is more akin to throwing. As I'm sure you know, bowling a ball is basically a smooth, sweeping motion, travelling through a long arc. The action doesn't come from the wrist, but from further up the arm and shoulder. Flicking the wrist will (or should) be a no ball in cricket, and in fishing it causes a sudden acceleration of the multiplier spool of the multiplier, which in turn is what causes overruns.

rawson

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice gents. No point in making things harder for myself from the outset so I will look for a combo kit of around 9'-6" to 10'-0" with a fixed spool reel.

chrishconnolly

Reaction score
10ft daiwa c98 if you can find one is one of the classic spinning rods.
For your budget of £100 personally I would try and swop your multi on here for good fixes spool reel.
I would be looking for a 5000 size Shimano baitrunner.
Both are class pieces of tackle and will be ideal for the rivers you mentioned.

loopknot

Reaction score
It would also be worth setting the multiplier up for the job. Clean the spool bearings out with lighter fluid and when they are dry apply new oil. Try a heavier oil first like red rocket fuel, you will be surprised how much the different viscosity oils control the bearings and the cast. Centre the spool using the end caps with no end float but dont over tighten. Setting the reel up correctly will be beneficial? It all helps for smoother casting.

heather point

Reaction score
ABU used to make a rod specially for that class of multiplier. it was an ABU Atlantic 460 and had a trigger grip and reel seat to fit these reels.
It was 9' if I remember correctly.
Someone must still have one lying about.http://www.newgatebooks.co.uk/a-superb-vintage-abu-atlantic-460-zoom-cranked-handle-totally-stunning.html

Just found one

Last edited:

loopknot

Reaction score
Heather Point,
I had this very rod in the early 80's for saltwater spinning. I used an ABU 6600FL reel on it, the reel was one of the newer graphite frame range with fast cast thumb bar and levelwind. It was a lovely rod but the speedlock handle didnt take too well to saltwater over time. Think the rod cost me £30 new. The rod was capable of casting a 2oz weight about 100yds.

heather point

Reaction score
Yes, they are good rods, that one I found at Newgate books is like new , very good value.

rawson

Reaction score
ABU used to make a rod specially for that class of multiplier. it was an ABU Atlantic 460 and had a trigger grip and reel seat to fit these reels.
It was 9' if I remember correctly.
Someone must still have one lying about.http://www.newgatebooks.co.uk/a-superb-vintage-abu-atlantic-460-zoom-cranked-handle-totally-stunning.html

Just found one
Well I purchased it! What type of line and breaking strain should I be looking for as max lure size will be 60g.

rawson

Reaction score
Well ordered the rod from Newgate and after waiting 6 weeks, I received 2 pairs of fake Rayban Sunglasses all the way from China. No response from email, so suspect fraud!
Anyone ordered from these people from the site- newgatebooks.co.uk?

SteveG

Reaction score
Very few use multipliers even for sea fishing these days I used an ABU 6000 years ago to give it a try with big Toby lures and it was ok but not worth the hassle in my opinion

I used an old ABU specimen 11ft Long I think it was ( still got it in the rafters 😂) it worked ok, look on gumtree there is an ABU 10 ft Atlantic on there that might do the job in ripon

steve

sneakypeter

Reaction score
I use multipliers for fishing floating Devons and prawning, Barbel rods are just right for the job, mostly 12ft with a TC of 1.75/2lb. There are some very good rods available well within your budget, and many above, if you can push the boat out get a Harrison. The action is perfect for use with a multiplier, most spinning rods are designed purely for casting, barbel rods are designed for playing fish, big difference.