Votes: 56 37.6%
  • 12ft 6in or smaller

Votes: 18 12.1%
  • Switch rod

Votes: 16 10.7%

• Total voters

PerryPoker

Reaction score
I was reading through some old forum content this afternoon and came across a poll regarding rod lengths. Rod Length

I just thought it would be interesting to see what angler's preferred rod lengths were 10 years on. I've added in a section for Switch rods.

Last edited:

Jock

Reaction score
10 years ago I was still using mainly the 15', 5 years ago I was down to 13' and mostly shooting heads. Now whenever possible it is the 11' switch rod I would say 65% of the time; the 12'9" 30% and the 13'9" travel rod comes out for my Norway trip. The other major change I have made is in the lines I use. Now 90% will be done with various switch lines of 33' head length, 5% a 550 skagit and the other 5% the odd outing of a 54' spey line with the very rare use of a shooting head. The rivers I fish are the same as 10 years ago and the one I fish weekly most of the season is over 70 yds wide ! Gone are my days of trying to cast 40 yds with a 15' rod and long bellied spey line. Still average the same number of salmon in a season and still hook most of them within 25yds

Last edited:

NEbody

Reaction score
Am I alone in picking a rod according to where I’m fishing and conditions on the day, even if my starting point is most likely a 13’ #8?

MCXFisher

Reaction score
No, you’re not alone. Generally I will fish with the shortest rod consistent with the size of the river and the prevailing conditions. But the rod I most enjoy using is my 13 MAG for a host of reasons. Fortunately it is also the length that best suits the size of rivers I fish most often.

PerryPoker

Reaction score
I use a 12ft 6in rod most of all and I find it covers all situations on the rivers I fish from April onwards. Having said that, my 15fter is by far my favourite rod as I love chucking big flies on sinking lines. Roll on Spring!

Last edited:

goosander

Reaction score
Use my 15 ft. Swift unless the water is very low when the trout rod comes out. I enjoy trying to put out a nice cast in any conditions which helps to make up for the lack of fish. Fishing with trout rod and 6 lbs. nylon for the browns I landed a 16 lbs. sea licer with no great problems so to me it makes sense to use what ever rods I enjoy using the most.
Bob.

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
The 14.5 ft rods I am now using are very light. Light enough to fish all day without getting tired. I will always use them where possible as longer rods allow for better line control. I cannot, for the life of me, see the point in limiting my fly presentation options by fishing a shorter rod.
Not to mention all the extra thrashing and splashing shorty rod users employ in an effort to get a line out, that a nice splash free single spey can manage on a loner rod. (That last bit is a pet hate).

Last edited:

HOWKEMOOT

Reaction score
It depends on where and conditions

Over the years I have built up a collection of rods with which I know I can handle any water. As time has gone by and technology improved the gear I have tended towards a shorter rod. About 15years ago I my 'go to' was a 16' SAGE, I still take it along. However as I become older I have found shorter rods more to my taste and with the accompanying technology I can still reach as far as I want to in any given conditions. Now my 'go to' rod is a 14' FX1, lighter rod and lighter line too and still using my collection of trusted (original) Salmon Marquis No2s. I also travel with a 13' DTX, so I am tooled up for any situation from spate rivers to mid Spey. I reckon that's my lot, I'll not be investing in any more rods/reels.

M

Rrrr

Reaction score
I can do all i need with a 13 footer, windy weather and big casts on the tyne and i can use an airflo rage head, smaller pools on the coquet and summer on the tyne an integrated scandi line covers it. A switch and 15 footer would maybe make things easier but im happy keeping it simple.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

miramichi

Reaction score
To me the only surprise here was that as many as did still listed 15' as their preference. I also think that length preference at a given time of year might come out differently. When I go to the Naver in March I take only fifteen foot rods. The reason for this is that essentially all the fishing is done with metal tubes, and some level of sinking tip - often just intermediate - and I just find that these flies cast better and more easily on the heavier weight lines.
When it comes to length, as least to a point I think that longer makes easier. You can almost flick out casts with a modern 15' rod like a Sage One or XSpey. If your timing isn't absolutely perfect on a given cast you usually get one that is still acceptable. You can do all these things with a 12' 6 Spey rod too, but you don't have to mess up by much for the whole cast to fail.
Also, when it comes to fishing, you can steer swings around boulders, or keep lines longer in sweet spots with a long rod.
Once I get down to all floating lines and smaller, shorter flies I drop down to a 14' 8-weight which still feels incredibly light, even to my aging shoulders.

Rennie

Reaction score
I too pick the kit most suited to where I'm fishing and conditions on the day!.In my case its owt from an 18fter down to a 6 weight 11ft switch.
These days it's possible to buy rods quite specific for just about any river, situation and conditions, rather than a single multi purpose 15fter that for quite some time was the acceptable norm.
I agree with most in that these days I'll use as short a rod with as light a line as I think will cope with the fishing on the day, its much more enjoyable and pleasant to use, but to the point rod technology and most certainly line technology has come on in leaps and bounds making these choices a viable option!.
I still love fishing with the long rods and long lines in the right circumstances, however the long rod has shrunk somewhat from the 18fter to a 16fter and the big long heads have been re-placed with modern multi density heads.
Because of the diversity of venues I fish throughout a season a single rod option is one thats not practical for me.Either ends of the scale are great favourites of mine in an 11ft 3ins. 6 weight switch and a 16ft 11 weight double hander I enjoy fishing and casting with them and as they're both used on venues I fish a lot they'll obviously be high on my list!.
I more or less started my Salmon Fishing with sunk lines and big rods, it's never held any terrors for me and I've allways enjoyed "getting stuck in" as it were and the longer rods make a sunk line or head easier to handle all round, modern 14fter and head = old style 16fter and Spey profile sinker!.
I suppose the bottom line is, these days we all have a choice and thats no bad thing!
Pedro.

miramichi

Reaction score
Well enough said Rennie. The right answers here depend on lots of variables that include personal taste, ability, time of the season, size of river, etc etc I note that your post was the first one that got any likes, because you did the best job of addressing all that.

To add a further complication to kit options, here in New Brunswick we do a lot of dry fly fishing during the warmer water part of the season. There may be some who like to fish bombers with a two handed rod, and I have done it, but for me a 10' single handed rod is greatly preferable. Then we add to this fishing from canoes. While there is definitely boat fishing in the UK it is a very big part of many fisheries here on rivers like the Restigouche, Matapedia, Cascapedia, Miramichi, and many others. One can very definitely fish from a canoe with a Spey rod, but is it less or more effective and/or comfortable than with a Spey rod? I spend a lot of hours casting for salmon from an anchored canoe, and I still go back and forth on that one. IMG_0260.JPGIMG_0262.JPG

PerryPoker

Reaction score
The poll wasn't to find out a particular answer based on where anglers are fishing, it was to ask what angler's FAVOURITE rod length was. As I said in my comment, I use a small rod double hander the most but my 15fter is by far my favourite to use. Back in 2008, the 15fter won hands down so I was just interested to see what people's favourite rod size was in 2018.

It would seem that smaller rods are now taking a foothold as many's preferred weapon of choice.

Speytime

Reaction score
I started with a 15ft rod then went down to 14ft then 12,9ft and 11ft switch, all have there purpose, my favourite rod to use is my 12,9 9wt with a airflo quick spey or airflo delta imo there pretty much the same line with exception to the running line.

Al

mows

Reaction score
My 2 most fished rivers are quite small and the switch is simply far superior for this, especially taking the trees into account.
I do like my 13 footer, but hadn't used it all year until Sept, when id broke my switch.
What a disappointment when I used the 13 footer again.
It was just harder work.
There was a small advantage in working the fly, but enough to out weigh the advantages of the smaller rod.

In the early spring on Big rivers with big flies and sunk lines I prefer the 15 footer, but not as much as my 10 footer with a devon.

Cheers

Mows

christian roulleau

Reaction score
It is true that now the new rods allow superior performance; a modern 13 'does the work of a 15' old generation.
Moreover with the age to fish several days with a 15 'or 16' # 10 is difficult,
So as a compromise I opted for a 14'7 # 9, more light and allowing me
to perfectly direct my drift and the trafic of the fly.
I mainly fish Spey.

ibm59

Reaction score
As short a rod as possible , and in as light a line rating as suits the fishing to be done
With modern lines , there’s no need to be using #10/11s to throw heavy flees / tips about the place.

Most used rod rod of the last couple of years has been a Loop Evotec 12’6” #6

Last edited:

Tyke

Reaction score
I voted for a 14 footer, my favourite to fish with is a 13 foot #8/9 wt.; but the 14 ft. #9/10 wt. is the most versatile as it covers just about everything except extreme summer lows or a big water on say the Lower Tay [although to be honest it wouldn't do to bad a job of the latter with correct head selection].

10 years ago I would have said a 15' 6" or 16 footer in 10/11 wt.; but transitioning to shooting heads has allowed everything to downsize & still give decent water coverage [which is handy as I am 10 years older & a bit more knackered than I was then].

Mind you on a big steady pool where only a little hand-lining is required as the fly comes onto the dangle then a long rod & long belly Spey line takes some beating as they give excellent water coverage & control & eliminate the need to strip back an extra 15 yards of running line each time - particularly useful when deep wading in a fast flow which twists all the running line loops together when fishing heads, resulting in the use of lots of Anglo-Saxon vocabulary!

Regards, Tyke.

Neil W

Reaction score
I too went with the 14’ rod as my favourite length as it’s very versitile in the 9wt. On the bigger rivers though I still love to fish a 15ft rod especially with a nice scandi taper like the Rio AFS. It’s effortless on the 15ft rod to cover lots of water and modern rods are very light for their length. I of course use switch rods on smaller rivers and also a 13’6” 7wt as well. This is also a very versitile outfit with a short to medium Spey lines and a scandi shooting head. I am now looking at Sage’s 14ft 7 and 8 wt rods too. Lots of options and I would hate to be restricted to one rod size.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
The poll wasn't to find out a particular answer based on where anglers are fishing, it was to ask what angler's FAVOURITE rod length was. As I said in my comment, I use a small rod double hander the most but my 15fter is by far my favourite to use. Back in 2008, the 15fter won hands down so I was just interested to see what people's favourite rod size was in 2018.

It would seem that smaller rods are now taking a foothold as many's preferred weapon of choice.

I suppose an alternative question is "what is the length of your favourite rod?". In my case the answer is 13 feet.

Loxie

Reaction score
My current favourite is 10'. I've got an 11' I really like too.

NEbody

Reaction score
I suppose an alternative question is "what is the length of your favourite rod?". In my case the answer is 13 feet.

More or less exactly my thoughts. I’ve never felt the need for a 15 footer or longer because I can cover the places I fish with something shorter. In some of the places, even a 13 footer is too long but it’s what I’ll choose when it’s appropriate.

lax0341

Reaction score
I have a 12,5ft, a 13ft, a 14ft and a 15ft doublehander. Prefer the 13ft because its easy to handle and easy to cast.

Last edited: