Rod for skagit and sinking shooting head work?

Dex_evo

Reaction score
Your budget is £500.

Your looking for a rod to cast skagits and sinking shooting heads in small to medium sized rivers in spates and spring.

Max rod length is 14ft but prefer closer to 13ft.

What would be on your short list?

I am thinking maybe a Vision Cult 13'8'' or a Century Stealth 13' .

I really like the look of the Cult but am unsure of what lines people are using on them? Is any1 using 1 with skagits? If so in what grain weight?

Also does any1 know where has the best price on a 13'8'' cult?

Dex_evo

Reaction score
Shop about for a 12'6 9/10 Stinger, handles both well.

Is the stinger 4pc? Forgot to say it has to be so it can fit behind the seat in my work truck.
What weight skagits will it handle?

My mind is def not made up. Apart from thinking the Cult looks nice I know little more about it than it is more through actioned where as the stealths are covered quite well in other posts.

Scanny

Reaction score
Im not sure the 12'6 came in a 4 piece. The 13' 8/9 does currently.

I use a 660grain head on it , Airflo compact, and 35-38 gram power tapers on it from Hover / Int to S4/S5.

On heads, keep an eye on eBay, I got seven power tapers for £64 for it.

Dex_evo

Reaction score
I've had a look and cant find the stinger close to £500.
Feel free to point me in the right direction. Fancy the idea of a stinger but thats probably the tackle tart within talking :).
Think its the same voice that says Cult :rolleyes:.

I know its all about slowing down with a smooth cast but do you every worry about the stinger letting go casting skagits?

My normal rod is a 12'6'' LPXe and was thinking of giving it a go with skagits but have become a little paranoid that its asking a little 2 much of it. So was thinking of getting something a little more robust and forgiving for the heavyer stuff.

Also gives me the option to have 2 rods set up with differant tactics which would sometimes be nice.

speers

Reaction score
dex,

why not try before you buy, you most certainly have a month to try the century rod, the century rod makers let you try before buying as i have one, as for the other you would have to find a shop that would let you try one.
b.r speers.

Last edited:

compagnito

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not certain why you want a high performance rod for small spate rivers?

I bought a daiwa graphite coil 13 foot 9/10 at auction for £40. Should be perfect for skagit - nice through action.

You could spend the £460 change on fishing - just a different perspective to consider.

Scanny

Reaction score
If you search about then you can pick up one for £320, keep googling and they turn up.

I used a 12'6 in the Glx and Alta blank- the Alta being slightly nicer to use with the skagit.

If your wanting a fun outfit, a Loop Adventure 13'2 with a 660g airflo compact it's hard to beat. The setup costs less than the cost of a warranty claim on the Stinger too. The Norway is the spring Skagit fun rod, built like a tank.

Dex_evo

Reaction score
I'm not certain why you want a high performance rod for small spate rivers?

I bought a daiwa graphite coil 13 foot 9/10 at auction for £40. Should be perfect for skagit - nice through action.

You could spend the £460 change on fishing - just a different perspective to consider.

I guess the only real answer is because I can.

Why buy a fast car if the limit is 60/70mph.

Its not all about how much it costs but I do find added pleasure in my fishing from having nice tackle. Oh and I fish 99.9% of the time without seeing any1 so I dont think its anything to do with showing off.

I'm not a rich man infact far from it but I save to buy a few nice things every year and nice tackle tends to always be what the nice things are lol.

Eminem

Reaction score
I tried the Cult at a demo session last year and I found it handled like a wet rag. Way too whippy and soft for me but then I'm more used to faster actions these days. Finish was very pretty and real eye candy but the casting action was not for me or anyone else who tried it that day.:(

(I should state that I did not try it with a skagit line.)

Last edited:

gr8lakesflyer

Reaction score
I tried the Cult at a demo session last year and I found it handled like a wet rag. Way too whippy and soft for me but then I'm more used to faster actions these days. Finish was very pretty and real eye candy but the casting action was not for me or anyone else who tried it that day.:(

A Skagit line would make it feel even more "whippy" , since it utilizes a sustained anchor to form the D-loop .

Thanks for comments on this rod dude , my fellow HMSvII brother :D I'm searching for another rod and had this one on my list to research .... it helps when someone who enjoys the same rod actions can comment likes/dislikes on other rods ...... one down .......

Mike

Mickfish

Reaction score

I use the 13' Vision Catapult with Skagits and Shooting Heads and it's superb - a really versatile rod.

Mick

K-Spey

Reaction score
I use the 13' Vision Catapult with Skagits and Shooting Heads and it's superb - a really versatile rod.

Mick

I would have to agree with Mick on this, lovely rod and very easy to cast with.
However this rod will reward patience from the caster, take your time with the forward stroke and don't rush it. Force this rod and it'll bite the hand of you :D

Last edited:

MiSt

Reaction score
If you ever find a fool who is willing to sell you his/hers CF Burkheimer Two Handed 13'5" #9 go for it. It is a cracking rod from float lines to Skagit and sinking shooting heads.

Another good option would a 13'7" #8/9 Le Cie. Have only briefly tried it with a Skagit style head but it has definately potential to do what you are looking for from a rod.