Rod Carriers - recommendation please

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I need, okay I want, to get some suction rod carriers for my car but it is impossible to decide what makes one better or worse than another or why one costs 3 times the price of another!

Can I therefore gain the benefit of your experience on any to avoid, any you would recommend and what I should be considering that will allow me to carry anything from a single hand, 7’ #3 trout rod through to my 15’ #10/11 salmon rod.

Thanks,
Iain

Sunset_angler

Reaction score
Does it have to be suction? Magnetic are far better imo, unless you have a BMW with a fibre glass bunnet 🥴 Suction fails, magnetic doesn't 👍🎣

100% agree

I dont have confidence in the suction after a few accidents.

The current set I have have lasted 5 seasons and show no sign of the magnetic power weaking at all.

charlieH

Reaction score
I use a pair based on glaziers' suction grips. Mine were made for me by a gillie I fish with, for about the cost of a decent bottle of whisky, but if you're at all handy I'm sure you could make your own. You need to make sure that both suckers have got a good grip, which can sometimes take a few tries on curved body work, but once they are properly set they seem pretty immoveable.

See this old thread for more info:

barbonboy

Reaction score
I use a pair based on glaziers' suction grips. Mine were made for me by a gillie I fish with, for about the cost of a decent bottle of whisky, but if you're at all handy I'm sure you could make your own. You need to make sure that both suckers have got a good grip, which can sometimes take a few tries on curved body work, but once they are properly set they seem pretty immoveable.

I have a pair, exactly the same. Never let me down ( so far ). As you say, preparation is the important part.

noeyedeer

Reaction score

My comments & rack solution for a 5 series are in that thread too!

Handel

Reaction score
I need, okay I want, to get some suction rod carriers for my car but it is impossible to decide what makes one better or worse than another or why one costs 3 times the price of another!

Can I therefore gain the benefit of your experience on any to avoid, any you would recommend and what I should be considering that will allow me to carry anything from a single hand, 7’ #3 trout rod through to my 15’ #10/11 salmon rod.

Thanks,
Iain
One thing you haven't mentioned is whether you are going to be taking them off and putting them back on regularly. In other words are you going to park the car somewhere where they will get stolen if you leave them attached to the car rather than hidden away inside and do you use the car for other things so you can't leave them on permanently.

I am for ever putting them on and taking them off. I have access to two cars. One will take magnetic rod holders and I use the ones shown by salmonaddict in his post. Read the instructions and look after them and they will look after you. The other car won't take magnetic rod holders and I have to use suction ones. They don't need as much looking after but you do need to use a lot more care attaching them - see mc andy's post. I don't have his patience and went for a pair as described in charlieH's post which are seriously heavy duty and once they are attached aren't going to come off unless you make them.

Woodsy

Reaction score
I've also made my own and stronger than any I have tested. I used sheet metal lifted tested to 70kg. Costs about 25 quid to make but should last. Struggling to find a photo though

Woodsy

Reaction score
1615463004447.png

uplands50

Reaction score

Thanks,
Iain
I have the Vac Rac suction cost about £55 and we’re fine, couple of years ago went to Scotland without them and had to buy another set from Orvis in Banchory, they only had the Sumo at an eye watering £125 I think I paid in the end, however, they are very good and I only use these now.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I have the Vac Rac suction cost about £55 and we’re fine, couple of years ago went to Scotland without them and had to buy another set from Orvis in Banchory, they only had the Sumo at an eye watering £125 I think I paid in the end, however, they are very good and I only use these now.

Thank you. It was coming across the Sumo ones at that eye watering price compared to much cheaper versions that made me ask the question.

Gosling

Reaction score
Ian,
I have the VAC RAC ones and always carry a small clean sponge and a shamy in the car because if you attach on a wet bonnet they can slide. Bought the magnetic ones, and then looked at the panoramic glass roof of the car and had a Homer Simspon moment of Dooh! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Rrrr

Reaction score
Seen these on ebay. Perfect for diy builds. 1 suction cup is enough to hold the rods so you have tripple redundancy.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Henke

Reaction score
I have used Vac Rac Suction for many years. Never had any problems. Watch when you put them on - that the area is dry (use a cloth).
Magnetic may be easy to use - but personally I think the possible move slightly a may damage the varnish on the car..? And on many cars their magnetic will not hold becaus of less metal. This I have experiensed a few times with rentalcars. Therefore I now only use suction.
The Sumo looks very nice - but yes - quit expensive...but just think a second on which values we have put in the rods/reels......the the Sumo suddenly seems less expensive..... :) :cool:

JoeE

Reaction score
I'll replace my current VacRacs with Sumos once they are done.

RoDMounts who make the Sumo also make a interior one for suvs and estates etc which also an eye-watering price, was tempted until that was found

williegunn2

Reaction score
Seen these on ebay. Perfect for diy builds. 1 suction cup is enough to hold the rods so you have tripple redundancy.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
Fine if you have a flat car, any curves and you will have problems.