Rod Blank Advice!

Rennie

Reaction score
Been thinking for a while about a self build, just wondering if any one has any feedback on the Aventik 13ft7/14ft 9 /10 blanks or the Bloke 14ft 8/9 XGNP which I can buy as a kit form for a very reasonable price!
If it helps any prefer something thats very much an allrounder, full lines, heads and the odd Skagit chuck when needed.
Many thanks, Pedro.

SP8

Reaction score
I can't fault the Bloke blanks. I have made three trout rods and a 12'6 salmon rod on them and they are great. Can't comment on the specific blank you mention but they seem to be of a general high standard. He is also a very helpful guy if you need any advice.

SP8

Bonito

Reaction score
Another for the Bloke blanks. Built on loads of them and had not a single complaint. Mick will also help you through your options.

Sunset_angler

Reaction score
The larger bloke blanks (13ft+) fold like carrot after a few seasons of regular use, usually somewhere between the handle and first eye. Seen one go once on a cart wheeling salmon, sounded like a shotgun going off!!

Smaller rods seem to be less susceptible to breakages

Bonito

Reaction score
The larger bloke blanks (13ft+) fold like carrot after a few seasons of regular use, usually somewhere between the handle and first eye. Seen one go once on a cart wheeling salmon, sounded like a shotgun going off!!

Smaller rods seem to be less susceptible to breakages
So am I to assume you know of a lot of instances where this happened or ar you basing it on a single case?

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Peter,
you might like to look at Bob Meiser's blanks, which are designed for a wide window of line choices and fishing styles. Doon Rod, formerly of this parish, had a houseful of Meisers and could give you a useful opinion; and if I recall correctly, Grassy Knollington was thinking about building one.

kimbo

Reaction score
I have seen several break over the years, infact I seen 2 break on the same day
It seems like you have seen a lot of his rods break over the years, but the rods he has at the moment are new technology, I am sure if you spoke to him he would give you an explanation as to what happened.
Guideline blanks were breaking all the time and many other famous brands but that didn't put people off, if it's a good rod then you might want to take a risk

Sunset_angler

Reaction score
It seems like you have seen a lot of his rods break over the years, but the rods he has at the moment are new technology, I am sure if you spoke to him he would give you an explanation as to what happened.
Guideline blanks were breaking all the time and many other famous brands but that didn't put people off, if it's a good rod then you might want to take a risk
You are probably right, "older technology" A question was asked, I gave my opinion,no need to get all defensive.

Old guideline rods like original 3 piece le cie were heroundous for breaking.

kimbo

Reaction score
Not getting defensive, it is what it is, pherhcps I should have worded it differently.
Everyone opinions are very useful when looking for advice especially when they are impartial, once the purchase is made you are stuck with it good or bad.
I was just putting it into perspective, I don't think bloke rods have a tendency to break anymore than anyone elses, I have personally owned a bloke rod and used a few and when I was looking for one no one ever mentioned any breakages. I opted for a le cie in the end and they were notorious for breakages or so I was told but mine withstood the test of time.

Last edited:

Sunset_angler

Reaction score
Not getting defensive, it is what it is, pherhcps I should have worded it differently.
I was just putting it into perspective, I don't think bloke rods have a tendency to break anymore than anyone elses, I have personally owned a bloke rod and used a few and when I was looking for one no one ever mentioned any breakages. I opted for a le cie in the end and they were notorious for breakages or so I was told but mine withstood the test of time.
Very valid points, glad to hear your old le Cie is still going strong. You are correct all makes of rods will break. I recall a friend breaking his favourite rod a few years ago (B&W norway speycaster) by setting it down while landing a fish, the smallest of contacts with a peice of shap gravel and that was it broken. It does not take much to weaken a modern rod now.

DC

Reaction score
Has anyone actually tried any of these Aventik Blanks ?

Ok , from China , but no doubt out of the same factory as the big name brands............

kimbo

Reaction score
All the cheap rods are generally made on Korean carbon and the more expensive are made on Japanese carbon, all probably built in the same factory.
But with different carbon.

Lewis.Chessman

Reaction score
Rennie, a big advantage in buying from Mick Bell is that everything you need is already here in the country and the kit means a one-stop shop right down to the winding check.
I don't know the XGNP blank personally but I have two older Bloke-made rods (1 d-h) and am currently building two 11 ft #6/7 XL50s - so I guess I trust them.

One current issue in the UK and EU is a shortage of some stocks. It is becoming increasingly difficult to buy everything you want in one shop, whether that be cork grips, reel seats or guides - certain lines have been out of stock since before Christmas in various retailers.

Also, if you buy the Aventek (which I imagine is perfectly good) you probably won't know the tip O.D. for the tip ring and can't know the O.D. for the winding check until you have the grips and reel seat fitted on the blank. You'll need the butt O.D. too before choosing the seat.
So, if the tip & butt O.D.s aren't available on the net you must wait for it to arrive (hoping for no taxes), measure up and order your tip ring and reel seat to fit ..... wait again, reaming your grips to fit if you pre-ordered them (more p&p + duty if imported) ...... then put the seat & grips on the blank, measure the winding check I.D. and send off for one.
Time, time, time and money.
If you end up going to three or four different shops you'll pay a small fortune in p&p alone. Also, duty charges seem to be haphazard at the moment, with some packages I've received clearing customs without charge, but it's an unknown until it happens - or not.

With Bloke, you'll not have to worry about any of the above and the cork may well come ready-reamed to fit. In fact, I'm sure it will if you ask, and the winding check and tip ring will come at the right I.D. for your kit. You'll also get Sensi epoxy which is as good to use as any I've used.
Also, should you ever need a spare section you'll find Mick very helpful. I can't speak for the good folks at Aventek, I'm afraid.

If you want to look elsewhere, this list might help.

Current European Rod Building Suppliers Feb 2021

chriswjx

Reaction score
Rennie, a big advantage in buying from Mick Bell is that everything you need is already here in the country and the kit means a one-stop shop right down to the winding check.
I don't know the XGNP blank personally but I have two older Bloke-made rods (1 d-h) and am currently building two 11 ft #6/7 XL50s - so I guess I trust them.

One current issue in the UK and EU is a shortage of some stocks. It is becoming increasingly difficult to buy everything you want in one shop, whether that be cork grips, reel seats or guides - certain lines have been out of stock since before Christmas in various retailers.

Also, if you buy the Aventek (which I imagine is perfectly good) you probably won't know the tip O.D. for the tip ring and can't know the O.D. for the winding check until you have the grips and reel seat fitted on the blank. You'll need the butt O.D. too before choosing the seat.
So, if the tip & butt O.D.s aren't available on the net you must wait for it to arrive (hoping for no taxes), measure up and order your tip ring and reel seat to fit ..... wait again, reaming your grips to fit if you pre-ordered them (more p&p + duty if imported) ...... then put the seat & grips on the blank, measure the winding check I.D. and send off for one.
Time, time, time and money.
If you end up going to three or four different shops you'll pay a small fortune in p&p alone. Also, duty charges seem to be haphazard at the moment, with some packages I've received clearing customs without charge, but it's an unknown until it happens - or not.

With Bloke, you'll not have to worry about any of the above and the cork may well come ready-reamed to fit. In fact, I'm sure it will if you ask, and the winding check and tip ring will come at the right I.D. for your kit. You'll also get Sensi epoxy which is as good to use as any I've used.
Also, should you ever need a spare section you'll find Mick very helpful. I can't speak for the good folks at Aventek, I'm afraid.

If you want to look elsewhere, this list might help.

Current European Rod Building Suppliers Feb 2021

FYI, as I just ordered one of the 12'6" blanks. AliExpress now charge VAT on your order anyway, so there should be no charges on import unless you order over the £139 duty limit. The tip OD is also listed on the listing, but yes the winding check size is still to be determined... at the same time, I'm waiting for a month or so to get the rod, so what harm is it waiting another week after that for my components from GnB 😅