Robson Green Iceland fishing programme

Karl-K

Reaction score
I'm another one in the minority, I quite enjoyed it. The programme is not just for fisherman it needs to appeal to a bigger audience, who won’t have a scooby wether the casting was up to scratch or the quality of fish landing skills. If it was just for a fishing channel or instructive DVD then yes it would be pants, but watch it for what it is - easy viewing, with a couple of guys trying to explain the additional mental gains they get from fly fishing, if it makes a few more people think of the benefits of fishing I’m all for it. I met RG very , very briefly once, he came across as a decent guy?

Ratman

Reaction score
Can't stand the man. You'd think if he's as keen an angler as he makes out he'd try to improve his game a bit.

PatK

Reaction score
Sticking to the fishing side of it, i was crazily frustrated by those two ( especially Robson) continually fishing fast water with 20lb plus fish in it, with SH rods. No wonder he lost five fish as he didn't have the skill or technique to put pressure on it.I doubt they would have lost any with DH rods.

The scenary was amazing as were the fish they caught. I did look up everywhere they went and most of the places were very exclusive but the sog, thingvallir ION beat and one other were all under about £150 a day.

I think there was a bit of blarney with the editing, and I suspect in reality they both caught in the first few days but they dragged it out to make it a bit more dramatic.

I enjoyed it as its salmon fishing, but i still have yet to see a series as good as a Turas a Bradhain for watchability and information.

It would be nice to see a show where they introduce kids to salmon fishing one day.
Agree entirely with you, what is sporting, playing a 20 lb salmon on a single handed rod, and having to play out the fish to virtual exhaustion before landing it. Surely in these days we need to get the fish to the net as soon as possible and then released. I bet they didn't show how long it took to revive that lovely fish. As for the antics with the net or trying to throw the fish up the bank, that says it all about their ability.

lefthandup

Reaction score
Agree entirely with you, what is sporting, playing a 20 lb salmon on a single handed rod, and having to play out the fish to virtual exhaustion before landing it. Surely in these days we need to get the fish to the net as soon as possible and then released. I bet they didn't show how long it took to revive that lovely fish. As for the antics with the net or trying to throw the fish up the bank, that says it all about their ability.
But, but , but.....you can land a salmon quicker using a single handed rod than using a double handed one.

marty31

Reaction score
But, but , but.....you can land a salmon quicker using a single handed rod than using a double handed one.
The 20lb salmon suddenly grew to a 26lb salmon! I wouldnt fancy landing it with a single hander, especially with that goon of a clown wading around following and swiping at the thrashing poor fishie, if it had swam between his legs! It would have been, by by another 40 punder lost, that clown needs to leave the delicate art of landing a fish with a net to someone who knows how to do it😂

GeeBee

Reaction score

Definitely you can, if you have the skill and technique yes.

these two guys had neither.

like stu apte, it can be done down and dirty and continuously changing angles to mentally exhaust the fish - ive done it with stripers and steelhead.

i’ve had a lot of practice at the former, but I’m not sure id go up against a possible 20lb salmon too confidently.

especially not playing any salmon like a 12” trout above my head.

poor guiding imho for newbies which did result in lost fish.

marty31

Reaction score
Definitely you can, if you have the skill and technique yes.

these two guys had neither.

like stu apte, it can be done down and dirty and continuously changing angles to mentally exhaust the fish - ive done it with stripers and steelhead.

i’ve had a lot of practice at the former, but I’m not sure id go up against a possible 20lb salmon too confidently.

especially not playing any salmon like a 12” trout above my head.

poor guiding imho for newbies which did result in lost fish.
Poor guiding all right! If this is what you pay guides for? I think i would rather take my chances on my own! Including landing my own fish🤣

lefthandup

Reaction score
Poor guiding all right! If this is what you pay guides for? I think i would rather take my chances on my own! Including landing my own fish🤣
Is Robson not bestie with a guide ?

You would think the guide would have taught him a few things 🤔

Rrrr

Reaction score
Wouldnt mind a salmon show with matt hayes. He just seems to hang about in norway these days catching big salmon. Watched a video on facebook the other day of him calmly playing a really big fish while chatting to a camera and it was good.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Meldon9

Reaction score
No orobs with big salmon on single handers. Have had kings to 40 pounds on single handed 8 to 10 wts in BC

Rennie

Reaction score
Bear in mind, Robson and James are professional actors, they'll be doing what the producers of the program want them to do!, it's them who'll decide the format and content of the programe and how it'll look.The producers will also be commissioned to make that program and the directors could be the ones deciding how the program will look.It's not as cut and dried as Greeny and Murray going fishing and a crew simply turning up and filming them.
We all know the truth of Icelandic Salmon fishing and certainly what we'd expect from our own perspective's in the hands of capable Anglers. However thats not to say the program will be made to reflect that.
If we are incensed enough, then contact the TV company and tell them how disappointed we are in the way we the Anglers are reflected in their Television programe and how it's an unfair reflection of how Anglers really behave!.
Never know , might get an invite to participate, or make the sort of program Anglers want to see. In all honesty, I think a prime time slot might go out of the window then.
Pedro.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Bear in mind, Robson and James are professional actors, they'll be doing what the producers of the program want them to do!, it's them who'll decide the format and content of the programe and how it'll look.The producers will also be commissioned to make that program and the directors could be the ones deciding how the program will look.It's not as cut and dried as Greeny and Murray going fishing and a crew simply turning up and filming them.
We all know the truth of Icelandic Salmon fishing and certainly what we'd expect from our own perspective's in the hands of capable Anglers. However thats not to say the program will be made to reflect that.
If we are incensed enough, then contact the TV company and tell them how disappointed we are in the way we the Anglers are reflected in their Television programe and how it's an unfair reflection of how Anglers really behave!.
Never know , might get an invite to participate, or make the sort of program Anglers want to see. In all honesty, I think a prime time slot might go out of the window then.
Pedro.

I tihnk that's spot on. I'm convinced Robson can cast and play fish better than this programme depicts given what I've seen in other shows and as he also salmon fishes Scottish rivers and gre uip fly fishing. i.e. as Rennie says, he is hamming it somewhat for the camera's in my view which will be down to the directors/producers more than him.

I do agree though that for me, its a real turn off and I have made no effort to watch more than one episode.

salarchaser

Reaction score
Wouldnt mind a salmon show with matt hayes. He just seems to hang about in norway these days catching big salmon. Watched a video on facebook the other day of him calmly playing a really big fish while chatting to a camera and it was good.

He shacked up with the daughter of the owner of a top beat in Norway.
I'm sure it helps having access to that sort of water right outside your door. ;)

lowforcefly

Reaction score
I tihnk that's spot on. I'm convinced Robson can cast and play fish better than this programme depicts given what I've seen in other shows and as he also salmon fishes Scottish rivers and gre uip fly fishing. i.e. as Rennie says, he is hamming it somewhat for the camera's in my view which will be down to the directors/producers more than him.

I do agree though that for me, its a real turn off and I have made no effort to watch more than one episode.
I think your right...I remember an older program of his....where he seemed to be able to put a decent line out !
I don't think any 'Moderately Experienced Angler' would think it is a true classic, from a purely angling perspective ?
There is one aspect that I really didn't like....' It seems to portray angling as only being the haven of damaged souls?' :unsure: :rolleyes::eek:
When I, personally, believe it is far more than that.
I really enjoyed the scenery, I really enjoyed the seeing the rivers. I would have liked a bit more input from the 'Expert guides,' as I wanted to know more about the fishing, the rivers, and the flies, rather than their personal lives. OK mention it, but not dwell on it, at points I expected a couch to be wheeled out ?:ROFLMAO:
Classic ...No! But still way better than watching a Soap, reality TV??? (Just what part of reality do they operate in ???):eek:
Lets have a bit of perspective on it ?

Greegs

Reaction score

Hanging about Norway because his in laws own Winsnes.

A quality place to go fishing & he’s always calm under pressure with his fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rrrr

Reaction score
Hanging about Norway because his in laws own Winsnes.

A quality place to go fishing & he’s always calm under pressure with his fish.

Thats what i like about his videos. No drama, just chatting away while a mid 20s fish screams up and down the pool.

Greegs

Reaction score
Thats what i like about his videos. No drama, just chatting away while a mid 20s fish screams up and down the pool.

It’s a truly beautiful bit of water.

We should have been going back to fish it but fell out with Sportsquest, who have week 28, because they left us high & dry at Trondheim airport with no fishing gear.

If it wasn’t for matts wife, Ann-Marit, then god knows how many more sessions we would have lost.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I think your right...I remember an older program of his....where he seemed to be able to put a decent line out !
I don't think any 'Moderately Experienced Angler' would think it is a true classic, from a purely angling perspective ?
There is one aspect that I really didn't like....' It seems to portray angling as only being the haven of damaged souls?' :unsure: :rolleyes::eek:
When I, personally, believe it is far more than that.
I really enjoyed the scenery, I really enjoyed the seeing the rivers. I would have liked a bit more input from the 'Expert guides,' as I wanted to know more about the fishing, the rivers, and the flies, rather than their personal lives. OK mention it, but not dwell on it, at points I expected a couch to be wheeled out ?:ROFLMAO:
Classic ...No! But still way better than watching a Soap, reality TV??? (Just what part of reality do they operate in ???):eek:
Lets have a bit of perspective on it ?
Thats what I was hoping for it's unlikely that I will ever have the funds to make a trip like that and so I was hoping for a good insight into the available fishing on various waters. However, it feels more like the fishing is simply a foundation for a programme about something else. Worse than that though, the balance and depth of content I find poor for both and so my impression is that its not really sure what its trying to achieve and so has not real point of focus!

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I agree with what’s been said about the acting filming and landing fish but I still enjoyed the program. Mind you I will watch any fishing program even the crap fishing I mean carp fishing programs.
I really enjoyed extreme fishing too. But think the best programs are big fish man. Yacub something boys name is. And he is mad for it. Makes Jeremy Wade look like a pansy.