RJC Rods

Neil W

Reaction score
My 7122-5 is done and will be with me next week. Pictures look great and I can‘t wait to give the rod a go in September
C85A1A31-E50F-472D-BC0D-9FF838C5E875.jpeg
F3017FFB-39DD-467B-B31A-69BE8946D56A.jpeg

Last edited:

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
My 7122-5 is done and will be with me next week. Pictures look great and I can‘t wait to give the rod a go in September View attachment 49053View attachment 49054
Lovely Neil. Gone for a stealthy look. I’m sure you will love it mate. Full flor handle. You will need a fairly chunky real to balance it with the handle being so light. I’ve got mainly flor top handle and composite butt and my danielssons LW5 8twelve is way too light for it. I bought a control 7twelve for it and hoping that’s a good match. I’ve not tried it yet. Just loaded my backing and amnesia running line last night. Decided to give that a try out.

Findhorn Conehead

Reaction score
Looks great Neil, I have been really enjoying using mine.
I've been playing with some lines on mine just lately and have been very impressed with its line weight tolerances. I have tried lines at 24g through to 32g. It was happy with them all. Last night I tried a snowbee 8/9 450 grain switch line with 10ft poly and that was very nice. Also impressed with a rio afs 6/7 and 10ft tapered nylon leader for nice delicate presentation. Enjoy!!

Neil W

Reaction score
Lovely Neil. Gone for a stealthy look. I’m sure you will love it mate. Full flor handle. You will need a fairly chunky real to balance it with the handle being so light. I’ve got mainly flor top handle and composite butt and my danielssons LW5 8twelve is way too light for it. I bought a control 7twelve for it and hoping that’s a good match. I’ve not tried it yet. Just loaded my backing and amnesia running line last night. Decided to give that a try out.
I have a Danielsson 9thirteen I was going to try but may be a bit light will have to see. I went stealthy as it’s a small intimate river I will mainly use it on and seems appropriate.

Neil W

Reaction score
Looks great Neil, I have been really enjoying using mine.
I've been playing with some lines on mine just lately and have been very impressed with its line weight tolerances. I have tried lines at 24g through to 32g. It was happy with them all. Last night I tried a snowbee 8/9 450 grain switch line with 10ft poly and that was very nice. Also impressed with a rio afs 6/7 and 10ft tapered nylon leader for nice delicate presentation. Enjoy!!
Thanks Geoff that’s very useful. a very wide range of lines. I have the snowbee 8/9 switch and the AFS 6/7 outbound so that’s me sorted. I will probably start with the AFS 7/8 outbound and see how that goes.
out of interest what reel do you find balances the rod?

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Do RJC still do the loop cross s1 , I liked the look of them 15’
No mate. I bought the last loop blank Ross had. You can’t buy loop blanks anywhere anymore. Nobody has any left. They occasionally pop up on eBay. Was a boy in Lithuania selling a 12ft s1 blank for £180 a few weeks back. I don’t think it sold.
I love them and have like 5 custom ones.

glenelg100

Reaction score
No mate. I bought the last loop blank Ross had. You can’t buy loop blanks anywhere anymore. Nobody has any left. They occasionally pop up on eBay. Was a boy in Lithuania selling a 12ft s1 blank for £180 a few weeks back. I don’t think it sold.
I love them and have like 5 custom ones.
Thankyou , I’m thinking of getting a 15 footer, and I had seen a couple before which looked very nice

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Thankyou , I’m thinking of getting a 15 footer, and I had seen a couple before which looked very nice
As much as I love my loop cross s1’s I prefer my RJC. The blanks Ross now makes are much nicer than the Loops and have an amazing action. I don’t think he builds as big as 15ft now think biggest is 14’6” but they have huge amounts of power in them. Contact Ross and ask to book a shot of the biggest trial rod he makes, try it for a week and you will see what I’m talking about. Be warned you WILL want one though. :LOL:

Findhorn Conehead

Reaction score
Thanks Geoff that’s very useful. a very wide range of lines. I have the snowbee 8/9 switch and the AFS 6/7 outbound so that’s me sorted. I will probably start with the AFS 7/8 outbound and see how that goes.
out of interest what reel do you find balances the rod?
I have a full composite handle on my rod which makes it fractionally heavier at the handle end. But I have a number of reels that I hang on that rod and they all seem fine. It's not a long rod so it's not too tip heavy. I use a loop evotec 8/10, sage spey 678 classic, sage 4210 and 6210..all of which are fine with me?

Greegs

Reaction score
I have a full composite handle on my rod which makes it fractionally heavier at the handle end. But I have a number of reels that I hang on that rod and they all seem fine. It's not a long rod so it's not too tip heavy. I use a loop evotec 8/10, sage spey 678 classic, sage 4210 and 6210..all of which are fine with me

Geoff I showed my neighbour the cross I got off of you when I got it & he fell in love with it.

Speaking to him last week & he’s ordered a rod from Ross.

Need to contact Ross for my commission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Findhorn Conehead

Reaction score
Geoff I showed my neighbour the cross I got off of you when I got it & he fell in love with it.

Speaking to him last week & he’s ordered a rod from Ross.

Need to contact Ross for my commission.

Ross does make a lovely product!!?
I'm positive your neighbour will really enjoy his RJC rod.

butler

Reaction score
I would just like to bang the drum a little for an independent rod maker situated in Wales who turns out fantastic work and also producing his own blanks.
I've just taken delivery of my second RJC rod and I'm absolutely delighted with it. The rods are fast but flex deep, so you can really feel the rod working with you. The finish and quality is superb.
Have a squint at his website/ Facebook page to see some of Ross's work.
I believe that Ross has a few trial rods that can be sent out to try.
RJC FLY RODS
Got to be worth having a look if you like to buy British ?
Ross is in the process of building a rod for me. I am so looking forward to getting my hands on it. Nothing seem to be a problem for him.

Neil W

Reaction score
Finally managed to get away last week and try the 7122-5. The river was extremely low but a few grilse around. The rod was excellent with the Rio Scandi outbound 7/8 and I managed to get a grilse. It’s a very easy casting rod and I went to one stretch of wider river t9 see how far I could cast. Most of the line shot out and backing was clearly visible on the reel. All with no effort at all. As a fishing rather than casting rod it was perfect. You don’t have to think too hard when fishing as it’s so easy to use. The ALPS reel seat is wonderful and the quality of the rod and fittings is superb.
I used the Danielsson 9thirteen which could have been made for the rod.
very happy with the rod and the whole experience of buying and owning. I will definitely be getting at least 2 more from the range in the next 12 months

Findhorn Conehead

Reaction score
Finally managed to get away last week and try the 7122-5. The river was extremely low but a few grilse around. The rod was excellent with the Rio Scandi outbound 7/8 and I managed to get a grilse. It’s a very easy casting rod and I went to one stretch of wider river t9 see how far I could cast. Most of the line shot out and backing was clearly visible on the reel. All with no effort at all. As a fishing rather than casting rod it was perfect. You don’t have to think too hard when fishing as it’s so easy to use. The ALPS reel seat is wonderful and the quality of the rod and fittings is superb.
very happy with the rod and the whole experience of buying and owning. I will definitely be getting at least 2 more from the range in the next 12 months
I'm absolutely delighted with my RJC rods as well Neil, great fishing rods,cast really nicely and extremely well put together. All in all a great package and made from scratch in the UK ?

ibm59

Reaction score
I had the 13’11" no7 on loan a couple of weeks ago , and sent Ross my thoughts on it.

" Took the rod out of the tube yesterday.

First impressions very favourable.
Well presented in bespoke plastic tube , and maker‘s own black and dark tartan bag.

Beautifully finished unground blank
Nice tight spigot fits.
All fittings as they should be.
Windings beautifully done , and coatings bubble / run free.

‘ Wiggle Test ‘ bends it nicely down the blank.

Handle shape / material is not for me , and maybe an inch short , but there are a multitude of build options available.

Nothing not to like so far.

So , with rivers being out today , I headed up to local club hill Loch.
Not ideal , I know , but better than nowt.
First up Gaelforce 7/8 54’ , then In Touch Short Spey 7/8 , and finally In Touch Short Spey 6/7.
Remembering that this was only a first shot .........
......found I was bringing around 6’ of the Gaelforce inside the top eye to remove the slightly heavy feel, which brings head length down to very similar to the Short Speys. Others who have tried the rod found this line a good match for it without shortening.
7/8 Short Spey felt a little heavy , but the 6/7 flew.
Changed the15’, floating tip on the 7/8 short Spey for a 15’ #6 tip and that made all the difference.

End gear was a 9’ 19lb Riverge tapered fluoro leader , tippet ring , and around 5‘ of tippet+fluff
All the lines turned it over with ease.

Didn’t try any heads , as that’s not what I’d be using this rod for anyway.

I‘m intrigued , and hope to try it on running water towards the end of the week. "

For various reasons , I didn’t get to try it on running water

Final thoughts were......

"
Three things I’d change. One important , the other two less so.

The thickness of the handle is ideal for my small hands , but I’d prefer it an inch longer.

I‘d like discrete alignment dots on the bottom two sections only.

And , very much the least important of all , I’d prefer the ties on the opening end of the bag to be one on each corner , and not from the one point as at present . ?? ?
Seems insignificant , and it wouldn’t put me off buying the rod , but I find it a fiddle as it is.
Sad , I know. ??

Thoroughly enjoyed the trial even if it was only on still water. "

Lovely rod to cast , and beautifully finished.
I suspect it will be a very fine fishing rod. ?

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Told you you would like it :LOL:

Greegs

Reaction score
Talking to my mate Danny at the start of the week & he’s fell in love with his rod.

He got a custom built Sage igniter & loves it but he’s loving his RJC even more.

I’ve still to see it on the flesh & get a cast but I’ve saw pictures of it & it’s stunning.

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Talking to my mate Danny at the start of the week & he’s fell in love with his rod.

He got a custom built Sage igniter & loves it but he’s loving his RJC even more.

I’ve still to see it on the flesh & get a cast but I’ve saw pictures of it & it’s stunning.

Your welcome to have a shot of mine anytime mate. Or any of the other customs I’ve got and made.

Greegs

Reaction score
Your welcome to have a shot of mine anytime mate. Or any of the other customs I’ve got and made.

Cheers m8, that’s a great offer, thanks very much.

I will probably end up buying one but I love my loop rods & most of my rods are loop anyway.

The RJC I got from Geoff is an absolute beauty of a rod & is a joy to use.

Once I get a play about with Danny’s then I might change my mind.

Neil W

Reaction score
I had the 13’11" no7 on loan a couple of weeks ago , and sent Ross my thoughts on it.

" Took the rod out of the tube yesterday.

First impressions very favourable.
Well presented in bespoke plastic tube , and maker‘s own black and dark tartan bag.

Beautifully finished unground blank
Nice tight spigot fits.
All fittings as they should be.
Windings beautifully done , and coatings bubble / run free.

‘ Wiggle Test ‘ bends it nicely down the blank.

Handle shape / material is not for me , and maybe an inch short , but there are a multitude of build options available.

Nothing not to like so far.

So , with rivers being out today , I headed up to local club hill Loch.
Not ideal , I know , but better than nowt.
First up Gaelforce 7/8 54’ , then In Touch Short Spey 7/8 , and finally In Touch Short Spey 6/7.
Remembering that this was only a first shot .........
......found I was bringing around 6’ of the Gaelforce inside the top eye to remove the slightly heavy feel, which brings head length down to very similar to the Short Speys. Others who have tried the rod found this line a good match for it without shortening.
7/8 Short Spey felt a little heavy , but the 6/7 flew.
Changed the15’, floating tip on the 7/8 short Spey for a 15’ #6 tip and that made all the difference.

End gear was a 9’ 19lb Riverge tapered fluoro leader , tippet ring , and around 5‘ of tippet+fluff
All the lines turned it over with ease.

Didn’t try any heads , as that’s not what I’d be using this rod for anyway.

I‘m intrigued , and hope to try it on running water towards the end of the week. "

For various reasons , I didn’t get to try it on running water

Final thoughts were......

"
Three things I’d change. One important , the other two less so.

The thickness of the handle is ideal for my small hands , but I’d prefer it an inch longer.

I‘d like discrete alignment dots on the bottom two sections only.

And , very much the least important of all , I’d prefer the ties on the opening end of the bag to be one on each corner , and not from the one point as at present . ?? ?
Seems insignificant , and it wouldn’t put me off buying the rod , but I find it a fiddle as it is.
Sad , I know. ??

Thoroughly enjoyed the trial even if it was only on still water. "

Lovely rod to cast , and beautifully finished.
I suspect it will be a very fine fishing rod. ?
I am sure Ross would accommodate all your requests. Your last point is crucial , it’s a great fishing rod!

rs2ford

Reaction score
The problem I have with the RJC rods is that I have Custom Loop Cross S1 rods built by Ross, 7110, 7122 and 8130 that are perfect for me and have no intention of replacing them. His work is that good he has done himself out of more sales?. Might manage to find a gap in the armoury for 1 more though
Cheers Diarmid.