Rivers Taw and Mole 2021

Wee-Eck

Reaction score
Are there any fisheries with outlets to the Taw that stock with Brook Trout?

Loxie

Reaction score
Are there any fisheries with outlets to the Taw that stock with Brook Trout?
Brook Trout are ILFA registered fish now and you need a specific licence to stock them which is only granted when there is no possible chance of escape. Tigers are easier to stock but very prone to escaping. I would say Tawpug's fish was a stocked Tiger escaped from a private pond. It is also showing signs of extreme age.

tawpug

Reaction score
Yes - we thought Tiger. It looks a bit hunched but that is just the way it sat on on the bench. Why do you say showing signs of extreme age?

Loxie

Reaction score
I lost a good peal and failed to hook a salmon on the Mole yesterday.

tawpug

Reaction score
I fished at Braggamarsh last Tuesday and hooked a very big pug and then shortly afterwards lost the very big pug. The power, speed and changes of direction were nerve jangling.

TP

Loxie

Reaction score
I fished at Braggamarsh last Tuesday and hooked a very big pug and then shortly afterwards lost the very big pug. The power, speed and changes of direction were nerve jangling.

TP
There's nothing in freshwater that can change direction like a big pug! Dad had a 12lb salmon on the Mole this morning. I had an unscheduled swim!!

Loxie

Reaction score
Got a nice silver grilse around 5lb on the Mole this afternoon. Nothing else seen.

2A4969FE-8CD6-44AC-B290-698160E23378.jpeg

Oscar

Reaction score
Got a nice silver grilse around 5lb on the Mole this afternoon. Nothing else seen.

View attachment 64400
Well done Loxie.

Out of interest on these small rivers is it really just a case of knowing exactly where the lies are and hours of time dedicated? I know it sounds like an obvious question, but having fished a few I’ve really struggled to identify the best bits. The Lynher was a classic in this case (I seriously couldn’t spot one holding pool) and the Fowey by Trago Mills was another (water was SO clear!). Also the Dart, which felt fishless.

Maybe I’ve fished in sub-optimal conditions which I’m sure wouldn’t help!

Oscar.

Loxie

Reaction score
Well done Loxie.

Out of interest on these small rivers is it really just a case of knowing exactly where the lies are and hours of time dedicated? I know it sounds like an obvious question, but having fished a few I’ve really struggled to identify the best bits. The Lynher was a classic in this case (I seriously couldn’t spot one holding pool) and the Fowey by Trago Mills was another (water was SO clear!). Also the Dart, which felt fishless.

Oscar.
This year it's been a case of putting the hours in as there are very few fish about. The beat on the Mole I fish I've leased for 20 years and I've been fishing it for 25 years. I was brought up fishing the Westcountry rivers so it's become a bit easier for me but it does take time. It's a very different thing to fishing big Scottish rivers.

Loxie

Reaction score
It's nice to see a bit of life in the river. It's been a grim season so far. A bit more rain for us Mole fishers would be nice too!

tawpug

Reaction score
It's nice to see a bit of life in the river. It's been a grim season so far. A bit more rain for us Mole fishers would be nice too!
It has been grim. Slowest season I can remember. Just don't feel I have been fishing over anything but empty pools. Fished the junction this evening - rien de saucisson! One or two coloured fish showing.

Lets hope there's a few to come yet.

TP

Reaction score
Well done Loxie.

Oscar.
It does help if you fish those rivers regularly, but the best fishing is always determined by spate. You have a really good chance if the water is running high and peaty, when low and clear the fish are very difficult to locate and catch unless you are there in the small window of first/last light and know the deeper holding water

Oscar

Reaction score
It does help if you fish those rivers regularly, but the best fishing is always determined by spate. You have a really good chance if the water is running high and peaty, when low and clear the fish are very difficult to locate and catch unless you are there in the small window of first/last light and know the deeper holding water
Makes perfect sense, thanks. And really no different to the small rivers on the Isle of Man that I grew up fishing on. I guess the only real difference there is that the vast majority of fish get caught on the worm, whereas on your rivers I suspect it’s fly and spinner as well?

Reaction score
Makes perfect sense, thanks. And really no different to the small rivers on the Isle of Man that I grew up fishing on. I guess the only real difference there is that the vast majority of fish get caught on the worm, whereas on your rivers I suspect it’s fly and spinner as well?
I only fish the fly but as I understand spinning is permitted on some rivers / beats. Did you fish the Sulby? that would be a similar scenario I guess

tawrod

Reaction score
The other factor with these small spatey West Country rivers is the ever changing nature following spates, bank erosion, shifting gravel, pools fill in, runs form, lies come and go which makes every season a challenge to be enjoyed. All this is fine when the water coming off the moors is bright and clean. Looking at the difference in colour between the Bray and Mole last Thursday was chalk and cheese, when the Mole is running that lovely green colour with .7 on the Woodleigh gauge, there is nowhere else I would rather be, but with Maize, Digesters, Slurry spreading this is all changing very quickly. August is nearly through and I’ve yet to find or spook a Salmon in the Mole let alone get a pull……. Let’s hope things change soon.

Last edited: