Rivers Taw and Mole 2021

tawpug

Reaction score
Now that’s something to get excited by on the Taw/Mole. No doubt some of the bigger sea trout will of come in with these? I know so far there’s not been much to get excited about, but it’s so nice to see every little babbling brook full of water. Spring looks so much the better for it imo.
I’m not sure if it’s open for fishing? But as there’s no thread on the river Lyn, wondered if any of the Taw fishermen ever fish the lovely river Lyn?
Given floods like this, the Lyn has probably the bulk of its run in May/June.
Yes the big Pugs will be pushing in on this water. They could be anywhere after three weeks of high water. Just a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

TP

Andrew B

Reaction score
Yes the big Pugs will be pushing in on this water. They could be anywhere after three weeks of high water. Just a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

TP
Lol so that’s what Pugs are?😂
I suspected that’s what they were but would of felt an idiot asking lol.
Like trying to win the lottery was what a welsh fisherman told me, re trying to find the big June fish after a flood. After walking four miles upriver I found a nine pounder.
It was said that Malcom Edwards caught so many large “Pugs” on the Rheidol was because he knew exactly where to find the fish on any given height? Something that takes a lifetime to learn I reckon.

tawpug

Reaction score
Lol so that’s what Pugs are?😂
I suspected that’s what they were but would of felt an idiot asking lol.
Like trying to win the lottery was what a welsh fisherman told me, re trying to find the big June fish after a flood. After walking four miles upriver I found a nine pounder.
It was said that Malcom Edwards caught so many large “Pugs” on the Rheidol was because he knew exactly where to find the fish on any given height? Something that takes a lifetime to learn I reckon.
Its an old Taw and Torridge netsman's term for what they used to call salmon-peal., ie. big sea trout. Still in popular use.

TP

tawpug

Reaction score
Here's something you don't see every day on the Taw system. A (Twaite?) Shad caught and immediately released by a salmon angler on the River Mole!! Two miles above Head Weir Falls.

This is the third caught in the system in the last three seasons. A population re-establishing perhaps?

Attachments

• Shad Watertown 21 1.jpg
    Shad Watertown 21 1.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 240

Bullet

Reaction score
Lovely fish, those.
Only ever caught one, and that was in the Sea.

andrew

Reaction score
Landed 5 on the Wye on Saturday and numerous knocks. We have a strong run of the Alice shad.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Andrew B

Reaction score
Its an old Taw and Torridge netsman's term for what they used to call salmon-peal., ie. big sea trout. Still in popular use.

TP
Lol I like it. The other West Country term “Peal” doesn’t imo describe those big ens.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Talking of Pugs. Netted this for a friend below the Junction this evening. Fell to a small Sunray. Measured at 30" - somewhere North of 10.5Lb

Lol now that’s a Pug. Awesome fish and well done that man for taking such a fish before these type of fish become pretty much uncatcable imo.

Andrew B

Reaction score
A 7lb salmon at Braggamarsh for a mid week early bird and an 8lb pug for the owner on Friday.

Otherwise not much going on.

TP
I’d take the eight pound Pug lol.

Came across these the other day, without wishing to stray too far from the Taw thread, these pugs (don’t know if these are worthy of the name) were almost certainly taken in June down Devon which confirms I wasn’t dreaming it up that June was always my favourite month on the rivers Devon and I’ve also had some good fishing for sea trout in May where Mike Weaver always said by May sea trout on the Taw and Torridge were spread throughout the system.

Attachments

• E5EF0ADD-F6EF-4F55-8706-3E4D170E1A29.jpeg
    E5EF0ADD-F6EF-4F55-8706-3E4D170E1A29.jpeg
    951.8 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

tawpug

Reaction score
Had a wander down to a middle river beat on Friday night with a pal. River on its bare bones but the the evening was warm and muggy with good cloud cover. Managed a four and a half pound peal from the throat of one pool and the other rod had a four pounder from the run below. Both fish were fresh run and beautifully conditioned.

As I write over 100 mm of rain has fallen in 24hrs in parts of Devon - some of it on the Taw catchment. With a little bit of luck the river will come up and draw the salmon up from the estuary and tidal pools of the lower river. The season needs a kick start!!

Worth keeping an eye on the levels!!

Tight lines

Tawpug

tawrod

Reaction score
I fished the Mole last Thursday, I have to say I’ve never seen this lovely little river looking so sad. What little water there was from Wednesday had gone, there was a very unhealthy colour to it, but worst of all a very strong taint of Slurry, it didn’t get any better through the day, not a sign of a fish in all the usual reliable lies for July, my plan to stay and chase some Seatrout later was abandoned. Anybody else notice the these conditions becoming more regular lately?
Trevor

tawpug

Reaction score
I fished the Mole last Thursday, I have to say I’ve never seen this lovely little river looking so sad. What little water there was from Wednesday had gone, there was a very unhealthy colour to it, but worst of all a very strong taint of Slurry, it didn’t get any better through the day, not a sign of a fish in all the usual reliable lies for July, my plan to stay and chase some Seatrout later was abandoned. Anybody else notice the these conditions becoming more regular lately?
Trevor
I'm afraid your correct Trevor; I think the Mole is under pressure. We badly need some rain now.

Loxie

Reaction score
Trevor
It's increasingly heartbreaking to watch a river I have known and loved for so many years reduced to little more than a slurry channel. It really is difficult to believe how good the West Country Rivers were before the EA took over the role as regulator.

devonshire

Reaction score
I'm afraid your correct Trevor; I think the Mole is under pressure. We badly need some rain now.

A decent drop of rain today. Hopefully it'll be enough to flush it out.

I regularly fish the Taw, but have never fished the Mole. Is there any fishing accessible on the Mole, or is it mostly private water? Also interested in to know of any fishing on the main stem. If you know of anything, feel free to drop me a pm.

Devonshire.

Loxie

Reaction score
A decent drop of rain today. Hopefully it'll be enough to flush it out.

I regularly fish the Taw, but have never fished the Mole. Is there any fishing accessible on the Mole, or is it mostly private water? Also interested in to know of any fishing on the main stem. If you know of anything, feel free to drop me a pm.

Devonshire.
Try Highbullen Hotel

Oscar

Reaction score
It's increasingly heartbreaking to watch a river I have known and loved for so many years reduced to little more than a slurry channel. It really is difficult to believe how good the West Country Rivers were before the EA took over the role as regulator.
Can’t believe I’m reading this, how awful. Those of us who don’t live in the area - but have some knowledge of it via holidays etc - I suspect presume the rivers down your way are pristine, although suffering with fish runs like everywhere else. Sad to hear they seem to be in decline.

Oscar.

Loftlessorganist

Reaction score
I'm on holiday in North Devon the last week of July so was hoping to have a go for sea trout at night. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I've fished the Rising Sun beat a few times during the day before and I believe some of the pools are good for ST. I've never fished above Umberleigh Bridge but I believe there could be some good ST pools there too.

It doesn't look like like we're going to be getting much rain between now and my visit, but spring tides hit around then so perhaps there will some fishing moving up.

Any help or hints welcomed. Thanks.

Loxie

Reaction score
I'm on holiday in North Devon the last week of July so was hoping to have a go for sea trout at night. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I've fished the Rising Sun beat a few times during the day before and I believe some of the pools are good for ST. I've never fished above Umberleigh Bridge but I believe there could be some good ST pools there too.

It doesn't look like like we're going to be getting much rain between now and my visit, but spring tides hit around then so perhaps there will some fishing moving up.

Any help or hints welcomed. Thanks.
It's probably worth looking at the BDAA water or try the Rising Sun. I'd guess demand will be pretty low! It might be worth speaking to Tim at Huish Moor too.