Rivers Taw and Mole 2021

WombatPool

Reaction score
Had some lovely sea trout from the Taw last year but I’m yet to land my first Taw salmon on fly, will this be the year things finally come together, I sure hope so. I guess it’ll happen sooner or later.. I’ll certainly have fun trying!

Good luck to all this year!!

Loxie

Reaction score
Hi All where would you recommend to fish the Taw or mole
Access isn't very easy but you could do worse than to contact The Rising Sun in Umberleigh, the Highbullen Hotel in Chittlehamholt, or Woolhanger.

tawpug

Reaction score
River Taw Fisheries Association AGM online scheduled for 1800hrs Fri 26 Mar 21

Invititations to attend will shortly be e-mailed to members.

Details of RTFA online auction of fishing will also be released soon. All proceeds are spent on habitat restoration and water quality work. If you are yet to become a member pse see website at : - http://www.rivertawfisheries.co.uk/index.html

Fishing starts Monday for those within range.

Tight Lines to all

Tawpug

kramdrazzi

Generally, I’m sloshed.
Reaction score
Not me.

I didn’t get out for anything.

I didn’t need to - I am out of range for fishing and I have my wine delivered.

Chin chin

Andrew B

Reaction score
I love the rivers of Devon and Cornwall with the Dart being the river I’ve had the most success. Always fancied the Taw and Torridge but unlike most of the rivers there’s no clubs doing weekly tickets to the best of my knowledge?

I like the fact that there’s a realistic chance of fishing for Salmon in March? Something sadly not viable on the Dart anymore.

tawpug

Reaction score
Had a cast or two yesterday. Nothing seen. River is a perfect height and colour for a Springer. Won't be long.

9 pounder from Beam on the Torridge today.

Tawpug

Andrew B

Reaction score
Had a cast or two yesterday. Nothing seen. River is a perfect height and colour for a Springer. Won't be long.

9 pounder from Beam on the Torridge today.

Tawpug
I’m so envious of where you live and fish and don’t mind admitting it lol. Those two rivers from the same estuary always seem to have genuine early fish in March?

tawpug

Reaction score
Always a few trickling through in March. The run really gets going on Taw in the second week of April (normally) and builds up from there. Although a lot more fish are coming through in June and July than previously.

Gordjac

Reaction score
Had a few casts on the lower Taw this evening nothing showing but was a beautiful evening to be out! Hoping that this year will be the year I can finally tempt my first Salmon!!

neilfly1

Reaction score
Any news of silver in the taw system yet?
have heard there have been two landed in the lower torridge.....
hoping I will finally get out 16/17 April... would mind a bit of rain a couple days before hand😜

Loxie

Reaction score
There have been fish encountered in the Exe so surely there must be some in the Taw?
AGM tonight might reveal some news!!

WombatPool

Reaction score
I’ve been told there’s a few in the system, I heard from one angler who was apparently standing in the river just a few feet away from one, and another fish coming to the fly and refusing it at the last moment, this all being around two weeks ago..

neilfly1

Reaction score
very happy to hear this! Not sure how many trips I will end up getting in this year, hopefully more than last year, as only managed to get out twice lol
what's a good average height on the gauge for the mid/lower taw please?

kramdrazzi

Generally, I’m sloshed.
Reaction score
very happy to hear this! Not sure how many trips I will end up getting in this year, hopefully more than last year, as only managed to get out twice lol
what's a good average height on the gauge for the mid/lower taw please?
For the Rising Sun water below Umberleigh bridge, I have always found 0.5 on the Umberleigh gauge to be a good average height. There are one or two pools that fish better in slightly higher water and a couple that fish best around 0.4. The best high water pool is Home Pool which fishes well at anything above 0.6. At around 0.9 we have found the fish in Home pool take short. When the water takes on a slightly green hue after a spate is a good time to fish. If you would like any detailed info on the Rising Sun Water then let me know and I will try and help - although my info is based upon my experiences from 10-15 years ago, when I ghillied/guided there and was on the river all the time. Like you, I only get down there once in a while now.

neilfly1

Reaction score
For the Rising Sun water below Umberleigh bridge, I have always found 0.5 on the Umberleigh gauge to be a good average height. There are one or two pools that fish better in slightly higher water and a couple that fish best around 0.4. The best high water pool is Home Pool which fishes well at anything above 0.6. At around 0.9 we have found the fish in Home pool take short. When the water takes on a slightly green hue after a spate is a good time to fish. If you would like any detailed info on the Rising Sun Water then let me know and I will try and help - although my info is based upon my experiences from 10-15 years ago, when I ghillied/guided there and was on the river all the time. Like you, I only get down there once in a while now.
Thanks very much for the detailed response! Yes rising sun water is where I plan to fish, love that stretch and so many different pools and lies.
I have only fished it a few times once it felt perfect and think it was about 0.6 from memory, but couldn’t remember.
Inwill likely be fishing it on a multi tip shooting head again, and have feeling I was prob fishing it too deep the last time I fished it.
what tip would u throw in home pool for example on 0.7m on gauge.... sink 3?

kramdrazzi

Generally, I’m sloshed.
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the detailed response! Yes rising sun water is where I plan to fish, love that stretch and so many different pools and lies.
I have only fished it a few times once it felt perfect and think it was about 0.6 from memory, but couldn’t remember.
Inwill likely be fishing it on a multi tip shooting head again, and have feeling I was prob fishing it too deep the last time I fished it.
what tip would u throw in home pool for example on 0.7m on gauge.... sink 3?
Depends on the water temperature. At this time of year, at 0.7, yes a S3 would be ok in Home, Workshop, Twin Streams, Bridge and Bear Pit. It could be substituted for a S1 in Hut, Strode Steps, Stiles and Stilly so long as you are confident in being able to slow the fly down sufficiently, if you use a heavy fly and if you can be arsed. I’d probably just stick to a S3 if it’s 0.7 and holding.

As the water warms up, the whole beat can be fished with an intermediate/S1, and the depth dictated by line control and fly weight.

tawpug

Reaction score
Spanking sea liced ten pounder to a deserving local rod off a beat on the upper main stem this evening. Went back well.

Stunning looking fish.

Might be the first off the Taw system this year.

TP

tawpug

Reaction score
Here it is

Salmon 01.jpg