Rivers Name and Shame!

KChrome

Reaction score
All,

I, as am sure many of you, have a number of days booked during the 2020 season and amounts to a considerable amount of money! Having queried the way forward on some of these rivers there are a number who are very kindly going to roll over the days to 2021 and for this I am very grateful indeed!

Having spoken to some friends I believe this is not the case on all rivers so lets put some pressure on them for not doing this and feel free to name and shame if they give you the "it's out of our hands" reply?!

Ultimately stay safe folks!

mammoth69

Reaction score
Errrr excuse me !!! - absolutely no need to name & shame. This is disgusting! This is a once in a lifetime unforeseen event.

This is a very selfish attitude your suggesting.

You should be supporting these beats in this time of need. They are closing - for how long ; they have considerable overheads & no prospect of reopening for a while?

It is kind that some beats are trying to be accomodating to those anglers that have booked

Some may even close permanently. Frankly I’d be very surprised that they offer you a week next year ??? I certainly wouldn’t if I was in their shoes.

It’s not their decision to close - this is a government order. Why don’t you write Boris letter ?? See what good that would do ??

I have nursery bills to pay; (nursery is closed for time being), fishing trips where deposits have been paid & not likely to see them returned etc.

I’ve recently lost my job, this is very stressful- hopefully resolved soon.

I can’t do anything about; yes I really could do with my monies being returned.

but If we don’t support our beats - we won’t have anywhere to go fishing.

M.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KChrome

Reaction score
Frankly I’d be very surprised that they offer you a week next year ??? I certainly wouldn’t if I was in their shoes
Selfish.....many folks have paid serious monies to go fishing and have booked weeks that are into the thousands, this is in no way aimed at individuals.....more the estates / Beat owners who just expect fishers to soak up the loss! For me anyway I would have thought more of them if they honoured the "once in a lifetime event" as a number have already! For too long estates have assumed the client should take the hit and this is aimed right at them!

Sorry to hear of your job loss and hope you regain and/or are employed elsewhere soon.

budge

Reaction score
Bit of a funny one this ? I can sympathise with both sides. Maybe a compromise of part reimbursement could be implemented ? I was going to book a few days fishing for this week but luckily I left it until the last minute to see what the weather was doing. If I had booked I would be seeing a refund as a goodwill gesture rather than a right. Same as a flooded river really.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

butter o mary

Reaction score
Might I suggestthose that have paid thousands for their weeks fishing can, probably, absorb the loss?

mows

Reaction score
Might I suggestthose that have paid thousands for their weeks fishing can, probably, absorb the loss?
Might I suggest that beats that charge 1000s each week can afford to do the honourable thing and return the money. I certainly have no intention of saying to BA, keep your 2k, I appreciate that your share holders need a big dividend

keirstream

Reaction score
Granted, but that also works in reverse.:)
I received an email yesterday from a very prominent figure in the salmon fishing world who has a personal fortune of many, many millions. His fishings are little more than a personal plaything to which he regularly invites his titled pals. He also lets out the fishings at a not insubstantial rate to private individuals during the season. Nothing wrong with that, however, we are talking about a peripheral asset which he has owned for many years and is a very small corner of his balance sheet.
The email opened without a mention of the health situation or crisis currently affecting many of his tenants no doubt. It starkly stated that those that had paid their rents, claim it on your travel insurance. Those that had not already paid, to do so A.S.A.P. and also claim their insurance.
Apparently, he claimed, it's an expensive business keeping a ghillie in the manner to which he is accustomed despite the fact, of course, that he will be the 1st to claim the 80% wage rebate from the Government I would wager.:(
So, clearly, it is not all black and white, is it????

tenet

Reaction score
What a stupid post. Many folk, myself included, save up all year to get the opportunity to fish one of the "better" beats and or rivers. Your not Jeremy Corbyn incognito perchance.😡

keirstream

Reaction score
So far, all the fishings I have that have cancelled, except those currently in the hands of Fishpal, have offered a refund.
I have just had one from Moray Estates, where I have a Teith season rod, stating that they will be working out pro rata refunds for every day lost until restrictions are lifted.
Well done them.:thumb:

KChrome

Reaction score
It is not my personal intention to name any Rivers/Beats that do not offer a refund or at least a partial refund but more to hopefully make some think long and hard before giving it the "tough luck....you pays your money and you take your chance attitude". Too many River/Beats are, in my honest opinion, overpriced for what you get, especially when you take into account the catch rates against previous years and to not offer some sort of refund may well be the straw that breaks the camels....... or possibly their ....back! Apologies upfront If I have offended anyone and here's hoping we all get back to some sort of normality before too long!

Last edited:

Oscar

Reaction score
Absolutely not, it's an annual treat which I (a) save up for, and (b) look forward to.

To suggest I could just kiss goodbye to £2k is laughable, and I suspect I am in the majority on this.

Oscar.

AwesomeOrchy

Reaction score
I was invoiced last thursday for 3 rods fishing a week in May in the North. Since last fridays developing situation I have tried to contact the estate by 3 differing methods to discuss what should be done going forward.......
Until I get a reply, no invoice will be getting paid. I would have expected an email from them at the very least............bad form in my book !!!

Loxie

Reaction score
Of 4 full weeks I've booked, the May and June weeks are cancelled with the offer of an 80% refund or a roll over to next season. Seems fair enough to me. I'm waiting to see what happens to the July and August lets.

westie4566

Reaction score
Well, all my remaining spring dates have been rolled over until next year, so I'm happy enough with that response.

Bulmer

Reaction score
I would be wanting a refund or fishing on another date, I think you have to understand and help accommodate but I don’t know how a company can keep your money without delivering a service.

mammoth69

Reaction score
Loxie - that’s very good & commendable! I think that is the sort of example that all fishery owners should employ.

Some fisheries owners have very deep pockets & can absorb losses; others do not.

Although salmon fishing is considered historically as a rich mans sport. With declining rod figures, low catches, wages & levys to pay most fisheries barely break even unless subsidised by a generous owner. They are seeing their income for the year up in smoke.

So unsurprisingly they are asking folk to claim on insurance if at all possible.

I hope beats can look after their rods where possible. But that might note be possible for all beats.

But no need to shame them for being in a Jam.

M.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I’m a member of 2 clubs and the fishing Passport and if everybody asked for a refund there would be no clubs to go back too. This is away to cost us all thousands and go on for months. And that’s best case scenario. I don’t want to even think about the worst. There’s some shocking footage being leaked out of China.
Worrying about being refunded for fishing is way down my list of concerns at the mo. Although would be higher if I’d spent thousands and not hundreds.

Last edited:

orchy1999

Reaction score
I was invoiced last thursday for 3 rods fishing a week in May in the North. Since last fridays developing situation I have tried to contact the estate by 3 differing methods to discuss what should be done going forward.......
Until I get a reply, no invoice will be getting paid. I would have expected an email from them at the very least............bad form in my book !!!
Don't you dare pay them:wow: or Shug the sniper will be heading to Lochwinnoch :)

Lamson v10

Reaction score
If I was paying thousands I'd most definitely be looking for some sort of refund or a rollover of dates, my club tickets I'm not to much worried about that as the cost is minimal

Prawnfisher

Reaction score
Agree with that Arnold. On club tickets I wouldn't want to take a rebate as they work on very thin margins. Private owners who have done very well from us are a different matter. Treating the current circumstances in the same way as being flooded off is a complete nonsense and they'll pay a price for this from disgruntled rods. If they hold firm on this approach then it is definitely a case of them always winning financially (definitely not in customer service terms) irrespective of whether their customers actually get what they have paid for.
I wonder how many of those fishery owners have thought about being on the receiving end of a mis-selling claim and are now checking through their booking conditions to see if they are watertight ?

Last edited:

budge

Reaction score
In a similar vein I've heard a few horror stories from people who booked accommodation for this year's TT races. Some are refusing to offer any refunds whatsoever. Many of these visitors have already paid through the nose, either renting a house or booking hotels. The ferry company are actually giving the option of a full refund or a booking for next year. Some airlines are offering nothing. Most travel insurance is no good as a global pandemic is listed alongside war in the small print as an exemption.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Loxie

Reaction score
Agree with that Arnold. On club tickets I wouldn't want to take a rebate as they work on very thin margins. Private owners who have done very well from us are a different matter. Treating the current circumstances in the same way as being flooded off is a complete nonsense and they'll pay a price for this from disgruntled rods. If they hold firm on this approach then it is definitely a case of them always winning financially (definitely not in customer service terms) irrespective of whether their customers actually get what they have paid for.
I wonder how many of those fishery owners have thought about being on the receiving end of a mis-selling claim and are now checking through their booking conditions to see if they are watertight ?
I'm told some of the prestigious Tweed beats are not prepared to offer refunds. With rapidly declining catches on Tweed and a general decline in angler numbers I can't help question their wisdom in treating their customers in such a cavalier manner.