River Wye 2022

Andrew B

Reaction score
It doesn't seem possible that they should have spawned with other Thurso fish since the 20's / 30's and kept there genetics intact especially considering that they were stocked therefore there fecundity is less but the scientists fail to point out its not less than no fish spawning.
Yeah for sure. I remember the article in T&S did mention this but as you say it’s not less than no fish spawning and the old pics showed how they were simply stocking the streams with eyed ova from the Thurso so it probably wasn’t too expensive or involving much labour.
That said they didn’t have the amount of problems we have now.

fixedspool

Reaction score
https://www.wyeuskfoundation.org/the-history-of
Here you are, see above. . The Biggest piece of downright propaganda ever put out by WUF and that's saying something. Everything they didn't do turned out badly and their efforts were a success of course. No mention of any Shin stocking
Take the Paincastle hatchery bit for instance. WUF didn't want it but the owners did and paid dearly for it. WUF knew right from the start that the pools and nearby stream was infested with American signal crayfish yet they still went ahead and built it. This restricted where they could stock fish unless they spent some time in fresher water. The place closed under a cloud Tom the fishery owner where it was based was owed rent. He was left with a expensive electricity installation which he didn't need He was left with piles of abandoned equipment all over his site and a so called hatchery Steptoe would have shunned. I and another WSA member went to see the shambles, took photo's and sent a report to the Chairman of Trustees - pushed into the waste bin - didn't want to know.
As for one fin clipped grilse from the WSA SNR project oh pleaseeeeee!!!! Not a single hatchery smolt returned from Welsh stocking. Really????. If there is anything inaccurate in this post WUF - sue me.

rightangle

Reaction score
I wonder, if on examination we could find some omissions and inaccuracies with the post on the link FS has given us. We probably could but whether it is thought inaccurate or misleading or even just beneath contempt doesn't really matter. After all one has to be so careful these days. We would be sure to offend someone and that just won't do in these days of hoped for collaboration.

What we should really be worried about is why there is still no report on the WUF a.g.m.

golantman

Reaction score
I wonder, if on examination we could find some omissions and inaccuracies with the post on the link FS has given us. We probably could but whether it is thought inaccurate or misleading or even just beneath contempt doesn't really matter. After all one has to be so careful these days. We would be sure to offend someone and that just won't do in these days of hoped for collaboration.

What we should really be worried about is why there is still no report on the WUF a.g.m.
WUF agm was 1st December, zoom failed so participation was limited and still no report on the meeting.
theres almost an arrogance and mind your own business attitude which i find wholly unacceptable.
i guess thats what you have to expect from an organisation that lives off handouts of public money and is answerable to absolutely nobody.

Last edited:

golantman

Reaction score
WUF agm was 1st December, zoom failed so participation was limited and still no report on the meeting.
theres almost an arrogance and mind your own business attitude which i find wholly unacceptable.
i guess thats what you have to expect from an organisation that lives off handouts of public money and is answerable to absolutely nobody.
i note that the new trustee application notice on the WUF website is dated 7th January 2012.
Fairly accurate as the time lapse on them getting things done is normally about 10 years 😀
They have changed the date this morning tot he correct year so perhaps they do read this forum !!

Last edited:

Bullet

Reaction score
I find WUF nothing but arrogant.
You've only got to look at the catch return pages for various beats.
If anyone says anything remotely negative, they will be shot down in flames by the WUF reply.

Andrew B

Reaction score
https://www.wyeuskfoundation.org/the-history-of
Here you are, see above. . The Biggest piece of downright propaganda ever put out by WUF and that's saying something. Everything they didn't do turned out badly and their efforts were a success of course. No mention of any Shin stocking
Take the Paincastle hatchery bit for instance. WUF didn't want it but the owners did and paid dearly for it. WUF knew right from the start that the pools and nearby stream was infested with American signal crayfish yet they still went ahead and built it. This restricted where they could stock fish unless they spent some time in fresher water. The place closed under a cloud Tom the fishery owner where it was based was owed rent. He was left with a expensive electricity installation which he didn't need He was left with piles of abandoned equipment all over his site and a so called hatchery Steptoe would have shunned. I and another WSA member went to see the shambles, took photo's and sent a report to the Chairman of Trustees - pushed into the waste bin - didn't want to know.
As for one fin clipped grilse from the WSA SNR project oh pleaseeeeee!!!! Not a single hatchery smolt returned from Welsh stocking. Really????. If there is anything inaccurate in this post WUF - sue me.
As someone who never fished the Wye, even I got onto this re the WUF. All those countryfile appearances and countless articles suggesting the Wyes future was in good hands and yet not much has been heard of late.
Very sad.

peterchilton

Reaction score
Wye Salmon Association Casting Clinic at Whitney 19th February 2022
More here
Casting Clinic February 2022.jpg

Last edited:

meyre

Reaction score
That's excellent and far better exercise than gym, peloton, pilates, unpacking the dishwasher.

Just make sure you're first down Beat 3 ( shown above ) lest Terry has the beastie from the lie under the Rowan and Ash at the bottom.

peterchilton

Reaction score
That's excellent and far better exercise than gym, peloton, pilates, unpacking the dishwasher.

Just make sure you're first down Beat 3 ( shown above ) lest Terry has the beastie from the lie under the Rowan and Ash at the bottom.
lol its on 19th February ;)

no hooks just fluff chucking