River wear 2021

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
One hopes so, but the temperature barriers below Sunderland Bridge normally stop the salmon at Durham or below until late March
Sorry for the maybe stupid question, but what thermal barrier? How different is the temps mate

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
Read my earlier post Graham, The funding we (our Team) receive from rod licence fees has not gone down, it has been static for about ten years, the monies paid to the Angling Trust for all the work they deliver has not, to date, impacted on the numbers of staff we have. If the contract was cancelled we would not get any extra funding or staff. The serious poaching work we do is funded directly from Government. I can empathise with you, and all those other anglers out there who can say "where's the bailiffs? I've never seen a one for twenty years". But just because you haven't seen us doesn't mean we haven't seen you. As an attempt to assure you and the others who are following this post, we try not to waste our time checking licensed anglers ( although invariably we do check a fair few as we go about our patrols) but we do try to be targeted and catch the ones who haven't a licence, are breaking byelaws, or who are fishing in a totally illegal manner (nets, gaffs, snatching etc). so it is important that what you see/have seen is reported.
Good to hear that I'm definitely one of the "where's the bailiff" people, but ill take you're word that the lads are on the ground walking beats and working hard, much appreciated once bitten

Walleye

Reaction score
Sorry for the maybe stupid question, but what thermal barrier? How different is the temps mate
As I understand it, a thermal barrier is not a change in temperature in the river.
Think of a thermal barrier as a physical barrier the fish need to pass, and below certain temperatures the fish will not pass, above certain temperatures they will take the barrier in good water.

There are probably a few thermal barriers this time of year...

The river itself - the river may well be colder than the sea at this time of year and a fish entering the river from the relative warmth of the sea may just hunker down in the first pools it arrives at.
The dam at Chester le Street Park- the fish need a certain amount of energy to take such dams and they may be disinclined to take them in cold water.
Fram Dam in Durham - same as CLS dam, below a certain river temperature the fish may be disinclined to take the dam.

Smoggy

Reaction score
Thermal barriers are created by waterfalls/weirs.
As the water splashes over them, the water surface area increases (water droplets,/mist/spray) which then absorb the ambient air temperature. When the cooler water droplets enter the river again, they then cool down the main river. The fish stop at below these temperature barriers waiting for the river to warm up, normally above 45degF (if my memory serves me correct). The thing to remember is this happens 24/7, therefore the river will cool down at night making the temperature barriers more significant.

I hope this helps somewhat?

Stoatstail1967

Reaction score
As the water splashes over them, the water surface area increases (water droplets,/mist/spray) which then absorb the ambient air temperature. When the cooler water droplets enter the river again, they then cool down the main river. The fish stop at below these temperature barriers waiting for the river to warm up, normally above 45degF (if my memory serves me correct). The thing to remember is this happens 24/7, therefore the river will cool down at night making the temperature barriers more significant.

Would I be correct in assuming this is only relevant in lower flows?
I. E. If the level rises to a point where the fish can just swim over then it ceases to be a thermal barrier?

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score

Spot on mate didn't know it would stop them running up river. Cheers Ian

Smoggy

Reaction score
Would I be correct in assuming this is only relevant in lower flows?
I. E. If the level rises to a point where the fish can just swim over then it ceases to be a thermal barrier?
The thermal barriers exist in all flows. The depending factor is the amount of disturbance for the amount of water i.e. cubic meters flow. Lots of disturbance and low flow, greater the temperature barrier is. Rain water is warmer than snow melt!

Xrap

Reaction score
Have you still got a bit of Durham free fishing envy. A little post of yours from when you thought the free stretch was to be lost. Do you think they should close the town water stretch at bishop after the antics of a few we have been hearing about lately. Graham.
Ha ha ha never been envious of anyone fishing Durham ,used to fish there quite a lot but was put off fishing down there by the antics of some (anglers ?)that fish there ,used to catch quite a few as well but i got progressively sick of watching what went on ie snatching ,killing of spring fish and people using any method they pleased to get a fish on the bank !!!. I must add this was before the closure and yes I was pleased it closed after what I witnessed there on occasions.
I know a few that still fish it and theyve told me it still goes on but to what extent I dont know

Last edited:

Smoggy

Reaction score
Have you still got a bit of Durham free fishing envy. A little post of yours from when you thought the free stretch was to be lost. Do you think they should close the town water stretch at bishop after the antics of a few we have been hearing about lately. Graham.
My personal opinion, for what it is worth regarding the Town Water at Bishop Auckland is that it should remain open and any illegal activity should be reported to both the EA and BADAC. This is the only way that will stop it.
If you close the Town Water, they will only go somewhere else, probably Bedburn from what I hear!

Bushwhacker

Reaction score
Ha ha ha never been envious of anyone fishing Durham ,used to fish there quite a lot but was put off fishing down there by the antics of some (anglers ?)that fish there ,used to catch quite a few as well but i got progressively sick of watching what went on ie snatching ,killing of spring fish and people using any method they pleased to get a fish on the bank !!!. I must add this was before the closure and yes I was pleased it closed after what I witnessed there on occasions.
I know a few that still fish it and theyve told me it still goes on but to what extent I dont know
Killing Springers?.
I,v fished from opening day for years at Durham and i very rarely see any other anglers on the water before June.
As for any method, i,v heard of well known anglers on some club waters using big flying C,s in very low water and retrieving as slow as possible and foul hooking fish.

lax0341

Reaction score

You can watch this phenomen on a lot of salmon rivers. For example the weir at Careysville on the Munster Blackwater is such a thermal barrier. Thanks Ian for your perfect explanation !

Last edited:

Xrap

Reaction score
Killing Springers?.
I,v fished from opening day for years at Durham and i very rarely see any other anglers on the water before June.
As for any method, i,v heard of well known anglers on some club waters using big flying C,s in very low water and retrieving as slow as possible and foul hooking fish.
I know it happens with the flying c in low water cos Ive seen that as well ,cant understand why people do it though if they are returning them ( which Ive seen ) if I had to resort to cheating I would sell my gear ffs

Daventus

Reaction score
Killing Springers?.
Is that you fishing the free stretch this morning m8.Water looked nice.was going to stop for a chin wag but called away(I was in the NWater van)

Bushwhacker

Reaction score
Is that you fishing the free stretch this morning m8.Water looked nice.was going to stop for a chin wag but called away(I was in the NWater van)
No mate.I like a bit more water in than there is at the moment.When it gets to this height there,s only a 3 pools worth fishing with the fly.