River wear 2021

Dalnashaugh

Reaction score
A fantastic count and very encouraging 👍, when the counts are rock bottom on this thread,they are the gospel truth but good counts on here are 100% lies and the river is finished, that's a great count all things considered over the past seasons let's hope they all get on the redds and do the business 🎣🎣
What was the count for Oct?
I had a couple of decent days last week of the season but saw very few fish as was the experience of others I've spoken to.
The sea trout night fishing on my syndicate water ( Bedburn) was very hard going. Even when the temperatures dropped to more comfortable levels ( for the fish) most of the time they just weren't interested.
Geoff

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
What was the count for Oct?
I had a couple of decent days last week of the season but saw very few fish as was the experience of others I've spoken to.
The sea trout night fishing on my syndicate water ( Bedburn) was very hard going. Even when the temperatures dropped to more comfortable levels ( for the fish) most of the time they just weren't interested.
Geoff
3558k 👍

Damhead

Reaction score
£500 seems a bit steep but that's English fishing.
I would be interested in contact details for Witton Flyfishers if you could obtain them.
Thanks Geoff

George
All the pools on the upper wear have practically filled in from Witton park upwards. Not worth the money it used to be and not to mention Bedburn syndicate is taken Up by fishpal rods meaning it’s heavily fished the last few months of the season making it difficult to get in pools. BADAC is good water 17 miles for £150 isn’t a bad shout in my opinion noting much lost if you don’t get a good return

Sperlash

Reaction score
Interesting counter returns - 13K so far this year if you believe them.
Not what they used to be but still encouraging and this is despite endless doom and gloom on this forum. Tyne figures show a similar trend.
Personally this season was a shocker for me.
Worst Season ever and saw less activity than any of my previous 40 odd years trying.If there were 13k fish this year my aunts my uncle.Utter made up sh@?e.

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
Worst Season ever and saw less activity than any of my previous 40 odd years trying.If there were 13k fish this year my aunts my uncle.Utter made up sh@?e.
Said the same last season but you and a couple others absolutely cleaned up on bedburn estate last 2 weeks of the season with nearly 100 fish, but yeah lets not talk about about success just the negative stuff on here, 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

Sperlash

Reaction score
What do you expect when the river was running the height of a small beck most of the year?.
Last few weeks .water was pretty good to be fair. 3 decent lifts off the back of each other and pretty much no fish from croxdale to harpley.There was 100% enough water to have fish in all mid river pools,these simply werent there unfortunately.
When you sit in Newfield dam the last week in october for two hours and see one coloured fish.trust me .theres not 13k fish in the river..

Sperlash

Reaction score
Said the same last season but you and a couple others absolutely cleaned up on bedburn estate last 2 weeks of the season with nearly 100 fish, but yeah lets not talk about about success just the negative stuff on here, 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Sorry Lewis ,Myself and a couple of others had 100 fish off bedburn???? Dream on ..The catch figures for there are made up from many syndicated rods fishing hard when conditions are right plus fishpal rods on the pools from first thing till last.
With the lack of water ,if there were good numbers built up we would have had good sightings around bishop and witton on all 3 lifts.I watched/fished hard including sitting on the ford in the dark and there was next to nothing FACT...

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
End of the day wether yous believe the counts or not, they are massively promising compared to previous seasons, all we can hope for is no massive flooding In the upcoming months to shift the gravel and wash the redds, have a bit of positivity about the river what we all love man, storms in the previous years have massively impacted the last few seasons runs/counts/returns......all we can do is hope

Sperlash

Reaction score
13 k ? in yer dreams EA,
Sperlash, why is it when you quote of what you have witnessed on the Wear some on here want it sweeping under the carpet ? I have to agree with you on the worst runs of fish I have witnessed in nye on 60 years, Seatrout will faulter to nye on extinct unless something is done to stop the slaughter by the nets in drought after drought seasons,and ithe increase of febs throughout the whole catchment ,
Really think its hard for some of the lads to actually understand and comprehend what im saying as they havent fished the length of time and witnessed the river when it was really good.Im lucky like some experienced lads on here to have had some spectacular fishing on our little river and find it pretty shattering actually to see it how is at present.
With the policys of the EA (basically arent interested in anglers) and the mass and I mean MASS predation we can only live in hope like Lewis states.Unfortunately theres only two hopes left for the wear ,, one is Bob Hope and the other is No Hope.!!!
I got an email off a club recently saying water conditions were improving.Fly life was abundant and the graling and trout were flourishing........Well hes obviously not fishing where i am..!!!! There again to promote fishing they can hardly say its dying on its arse like it actually is !

Bruce Walker

Reaction score
13 k ? in yer dreams EA,
Sperlash, why is it when you quote of what you have witnessed on the Wear some on here want it sweeping under the carpet ? I have to agree with you on the worst runs of fish I have witnessed in nye on 60 years, Seatrout will faulter to nye on extinct unless something is done to stop the slaughter by the nets in drought after drought seasons,and ithe increase of febs throughout the whole catchment ,
It also needs a reversal of the EA triploids only stocking policy to maintain a pool of Wear spawned and hatched brownies that opt to go to sea.

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
It also needs a reversal of the EA triploids only stocking policy to maintain a pool of Wear spawned and hatched brownies that opt to go to sea.
Or the EA gives the rivers/trusts/clubs the tools it needs to provide a clean/quality habitat to maintain a WILD run of fish.

WillowMan

Reaction score
The issue with the River Wear from a natural issue point is the climate/weather.
Over the last 25 years the runs of fish are getting later and later.
We used to see the Autumn fish in September and October. Then it was mid September onward. Then October onward, then mid October onwards.
Now the fish are running mid to late November onwards with runs into December.
I stood and watched over 20 fish running the other day and the smallest was still a double figure fish.
Some had UDN on them but that’s another storey.
All the fish were well coloured as they had obviously been in the lower river for some time.
As fisherman on the Wear know the rain that falls in Weardale lifts the level after X hours in Durham and combined with certain tides allows the fish to run through.
If the lift doesn’t happen the fish get stuck and need to wait till the level rises which as we have seen is getting later each year.
Then the next issue is once they have reached the spawning grounds later on the callander there is an increased risk of the eggs being washed away due to winter flooding.
The way forward from a fishing perspective is to target the spring/summer fish.
This becomes a new challenge as these fish are in fewer numbers but do offer the guarantee of good clean silver fish.
If the EA and local clubs keep their area of water clear of debris then this small contribution will assist in fish in their passage to the upper parts of the Wear.

Daventus

Reaction score
The issue with the River Wear from a natural issue point is the climate/weather.
Over the last 25 years the runs of fish are getting later and later.
We used to see the Autumn fish in September and October. Then it was mid September onward. Then October onward, then mid October onwards.
Now the fish are running mid to late November onwards with runs into December.
I stood and watched over 20 fish running the other day and the smallest was still a double figure fish.
Some had UDN on them but that’s another storey.
All the fish were well coloured as they had obviously been in the lower river for some time.
As fisherman on the Wear know the rain that falls in Weardale lifts the level after X hours in Durham and combined with certain tides allows the fish to run through.
If the lift doesn’t happen the fish get stuck and need to wait till the level rises which as we have seen is getting later each year.
Then the next issue is once they have reached the spawning grounds later on the callander there is an increased risk of the eggs being washed away due to winter flooding.
The way forward from a fishing perspective is to target the spring/summer fish.
This becomes a new challenge as these fish are in fewer numbers but do offer the guarantee of good clean silver fish.
If the EA and local clubs keep their area of water clear of debris then this small contribution will assist in fish in their passage to the upper parts of the Wear.
Saw a couple of fish as far up as Cows Gill today.

Dalnashaugh

Reaction score
A genuine question -- some on here say that the EA fish counter figures this year bear no resemblance to reality. I'm curious as to why that might be? Do those who say this reckon the EA are deliberately falsifying the figures, or that the counters themselves are overcounting due to some malfunction, or what?

greenlaner2009

Reaction score
A genuine question -- some on here say that the EA fish counter figures this year bear no resemblance to reality. I'm curious as to why that might be? Do those who say this reckon the EA are deliberately falsifying the figures, or that the counters themselves are overcounting due to some malfunction, or what?
I think the freemans counter undercounts, i think it struggles to register them when the river is high.

greenlaner2009

Reaction score
They dont even beleive what they say themselves, they think coming on this forum crying no fish will do 2 things, 1 make E. A implement ccr and 2 get the E. A to start stocking again.

Bushwhacker

Reaction score
I think the freemans counter undercounts, i think it struggles to register them when the river is high.
Its been like that for years Paul.Put a few inches of water over the walls either side of it and the fish jump them rather than go through the counter.
I,v seen this hundreds of times.If you notice,the highest counts are always when the river is low.

WillowMan

Reaction score
I am trying to see if anyone has information on the Upper Weardale fishing association?
I know they were still around in 2017 and had water from Westgate up to Cowshill.
I am struggling to find a valid contact number for this club or anyone who might know what has happened.
If they have disbanded then fine but who has this water now?
Because there were so few people fishing it there is very little information to guide me to getting a contact for the water.

Bet if I were to stick a line in the water some bugger will appear and say it is theirs LOL 😂

Anyone able to help?????

greenlaner2009

Reaction score
I am trying to see if anyone has information on the Upper Weardale fishing association?
I know they were still around in 2017 and had water from Westgate up to Cowshill.
I am struggling to find a valid contact number for this club or anyone who might know what has happened.
If they have disbanded then fine but who has this water now?
Because there were so few people fishing it there is very little information to guide me to getting a contact for the water.

Bet if I were to stick a line in the water some bugger will appear and say it is theirs LOL 😂

Anyone able to help?????
Call in at the newsagent at st johns chapel they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Smoggy

Reaction score
All the pools on the upper wear have practically filled in from Witton park upwards. Not worth the money it used to be and not to mention Bedburn syndicate is taken Up by fishpal rods meaning it’s heavily fished the last few months of the season making it difficult to get in pools. BADAC is good water 17 miles for £150 isn’t a bad shout in my opinion noting much lost if you don’t get a good return
And from what I hear, the pools are filling in with gravel and there are very few holding pools. I was in the syndicate for over 10 years and it used to be a great beat.
Not worth the money in my opinion