River wear 2021

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
Double times the worst count in living memory doesn't make an improving situation longterm. !!! Honestly can only comment from what I witnessed personally and as an example, fished the durham area a few years ago all week and had friends out right up the system (also below) who saw and caught nothing like myself.The same period registered 4000 plus fish over 3 days...Utter ******** ..This anomoly was actually stated to the powers that be at a public meeting and there was no comment given..to any possible miscalibration or glitch
The tynes the same, in utter meltdown in my opinion compared to just a few years ago.Go on the Ribble thread and the Lune they all have the same things in common ..Mass predation and a body of bureaucrats that arent interested in the angler or his quarry.
So Although I would love to paint a hopeful outlook I know 20k fish running (Best 29k) was 3 times the river it is now with 7k.
Did you get many salmon last season?

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
Like i said, I dont take any notice one way or the other, wether they are up or down all i go by is what i myself see and a lot of other experienced
angling friends tell me. Did you fish last season? In your opinion did you see more fish last year, than this?
Probably about the same if I'm honest, it's been very tough due to a 5 nd a half month drought this season which absolutely killed it off, saying that I had fresh run silver fish on the middle wear last October, so with the season ending soon,hopefully some will still run givin water and get on the redds

Sperlash

Reaction score
So you think the counters are wrong?
I Know when i was sales director for a big PLC i would have loved to be able to insert an # into my submitted disastrous months sales returns to magic numbers out of fresh air and make everything look ok ..Ill say no more!!Then Again..... If you were responsible for judging your own performance would you really say you were doing a sh@@ job...

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
I Know when i was sales director for a big PLC i would have loved to be able to insert an # into my submitted disastrous months sales returns to magic numbers out of fresh air and make everything look ok ..Ill say no more!!Then Again..... If you were responsible for judging your own performance would you really say you were doing a sh@@ job...
Did you get many salmon last season when the "counts" were half of this season and the river was finished?

greenlaner2009

Reaction score
I don't know why people worry about the number of fish, we have fished an artificially stocked river for over forty years if in the next twenty years of no stocking results in the demise of the fish stock we can just revert back to stocking and everything will be hunky dory again.

Sperlash

Reaction score
Really feel we are reaching a point where angling in general on the Wear will fizzle out. Once we reach the point of predators eating everything its simply not viable...I know from a lifetime's experience that its virtually pointless to fish for or to be fortunate to even observe a rising trout on the upper reaches any more.The salmonoids are fodder for the razorbills and cormorants and whereas in the past there was a good head of course fish also,im now informed by the course lads they have mysteriously disappeared as well.Even the prize barbel are no more..
I was speaking to a member of one of the Wear associations last night who said not all clubs participate in the defra licence predator management , Including the largest club on the system.Is it me or are they totally waiting for the horse to bolt before they shut the stable door!!!???

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
Really feel we are reaching a point where angling in general on the Wear will fizzle out. Once we reach the point of predators eating everything its simply not viable...I know from a lifetime's experience that its virtually pointless to fish for or to be fortunate to even observe a rising trout on the upper reaches any more.The salmonoids are fodder for the razorbills and cormorants and whereas in the past there was a good head of course fish also,im now informed by the course lads they have mysteriously disappeared as well.Even the prize barbel are no more..
I was speaking to a member of one of the Wear associations last night who said not all clubs participate in the defra licence predator management , Including the largest club on the system.Is it me or are they totally waiting for the horse to bolt before they shut the stable door!!!???
Did you get many salmon last season when the counts were crap and the river was "finished" or are you just going to keep ignoring my question???

Sperlash

Reaction score
Did you get many salmon last season when the counts were crap and the river was "finished" or are you just going to keep ignoring my question???
Hi Lewis My catches probably arent the average as I am very fortunate to be able to fish when conditions are perfect and whenever I want.I also have access to beats where I can move upriver and follow the fish if they are there.My last years catches were around my average but I spent literally September and October watching the water ,and as you were aware the water came every week literally.I also dont restrict myself to fly only,although much my prefered method.
My annual sea trout catches were always above 50 going back over 35 years but dropping to roughly half over the last 10 years. My salmon catch has been between 1 (worst year) and over 100 in my best 2010. This year ive had 2 sea trout and 2 Salmon (both on the fly).
Out of interest I know you are a keen lad ,whats your results this year and last.

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
Hi Lewis My catches probably arent the average as I am very fortunate to be able to fish when conditions are perfect and whenever I want.I also have access to beats where I can move upriver and follow the fish if they are there.My last years catches were around my average but I spent literally September and October watching the water ,and as you were aware the water came every week literally.I also dont restrict myself to fly only,although much my prefered method.
My annual sea trout catches were always above 50 going back over 35 years but dropping to roughly half over the last 10 years. My salmon catch has been between 1 (worst year) and over 100 in my best 2010. This year ive had 2 sea trout and 2 Salmon (both on the fly).
Out of interest I know you are a keen lad ,whats your results this year and last.
1st half season 1 salmon 2 ST (spin)
2nd full season (fly only) 1 salmon 4 ST
this season (fly only) 3 ST

coming from fishing trout ressies since I was a kid, these rivers are a whole different ball game. Conditions I've learnt are everything, but as you say the fish need to be there, I work shift patterns and have a 4yr old girl so I'm abit restricted so I try my best to get out whenever the opportunity arises, I only fish the fly too which does restrict me alot. But if its what you enjoy I'll just keep plugging away and hopefully boast them numbers up learning all the time..

In those seasons I've lost countless fish one of them a hen salmon pushing 20lbs, my best seatrout is 14lbs and my best salmon is apprx 10/11lbs

Lots of blank days/nights but that's just the way it is, fly depth, water height, water temp, water clarity, speed, size, colour of fly, choice of hook, casting angle, etc all comes into play on the river, again trout ressies is a piece of cake in comparison... I'll get there tho hopefully. A blank day on the river is better than a day at work

Last edited:

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
Decent colour to the water which was dropping out about tea time, fished BADAC from 11,30am till about 6pm never seen or touched anything all day

StevieG

Reaction score
These were from Frosterly last week, safely released
69052781-860E-478D-8544-723DB7A09A2C.jpeg

Attachments

• BAA2FEC1-41B5-4792-AB50-3818E16ACF4E.jpeg
    BAA2FEC1-41B5-4792-AB50-3818E16ACF4E.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 80

By the wear

Reaction score
Was the water clear ? Going to give it a try tomorrow with the 🦐
Walked the river last couple of evenings Bishop area, water low and clear, would deffinately fish the shrimp,
not sure where you will be fishing, would say more night fishing water with the fly,
Up here in the low water during the day, fishing the fly, all you woud be doing in my opinion , is spooking them.

Last edited:

greenlaner2009

Reaction score
Walked the river last couple of evenings Bishop area, water low and clear, would deffinately fish the shrimp,
not sure where you will be fishing, would say more night fishing water with the fly,
Up here in the low water during the day, fishing the fly, all you woud be doing in my opinion , is spooking them.
Its good to have you back Warbles.

By the wear

Reaction score
Xrap asked if the water was clear enough for the shrimp, I no of at least 3 caught in the last few days,
a couple down the bottom end, and another mid river, so it must be clear enough?

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
That’s it for me this year ,fished this afternoon below ,no takes and only seen 1 very coloured seatrout ,hope others have a better end to the season ,roll on next year and hopefully plenty of water from may onwards 🎣🎣🎣
How did you fair this season mate