River wear 2021

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
Nearly 1k fish through the counter but with a * which renders the counter non operational for some "period" of time through September..... what's you're guys take on the counts this year....not far off double last year,

When the counts are "decent" people don't believe them but when the count is crap its gospel!!.......tin hat at the ready 😉

Last edited:

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
As it stands "going off the counters since they started recording" the average yearly run on the wear "counted" is 15,372. I wonder how this compares to other rivers. With the best full season counted in 1999 at 27,658 and lowest full season counted 2019 at 4704.

A final count this season of 10,924 would be exactly (double) the fish "counted"....... the fishing has been tough due to a 5 month summer drought condition, is the wear bouncing back "numbers wise"??, I've had a handful of fish, I've spoke to lads who've had nowt, I know some lads who's had loads......

Would like to know you're thoughts on a tough season conditions wise but NOT numbers wise compared to the last couple of years.....

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
If anyone is interested 🎣👍

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211015-150636_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20211015-150636_Instagram.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 56

Whenty1

Reaction score
Chub and perch will quite happily take a fly , especially a seatrout or salmon fly with a bit of sparkle in it !
Yes the fish are right through the system now !

Sperlash

Reaction score
Hi all

I’m in a syndicate on the wear up from willington we’re currently catching Chubb and perch on fly and no signs of sea trout as yet or salmon , are they up past Sunderland bridge yet ??
Hi Ollie A few fish passed through last wed/thurs leaving the odd straggler. Ive had my worst catches this back end ever.My normal returns for the wear would be around 65 fish (pretty even mix S/ST)but this year 2 salmon and 2 sea trout .read what you will into that>Ive Raked around all week and seen a pittance.Im on my annual leave at the minute and its so good im back to work.Good luck and welcome to the forum

salmonless

Reaction score
Hi Ollie A few fish passed through last wed/thurs leaving the odd straggler. Ive had my worst catches this back end ever.My normal returns for the wear would be around 65 fish (pretty even mix S/ST)but this year 2 salmon and 2 sea trout .read what you will into that>Ive Raked around all week and seen a pittance.Im on my annual leave at the minute and its so good im back to work.Good luck and welcome to the forum
65! jeezus thats incredible fishing pal. You had 4 more fish than me this year :)

X—rap

Reaction score
Planning on fishing below finchale area on Sunday and if it’s as poor as last weekend that’ll be it for me for the season ,very poor year with fish hard to come by most days even when there seemed to be plenty about ,the big rise a few weeks ago has killed it

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
Planning on fishing below finchale area on Sunday and if it’s as poor as last weekend that’ll be it for me for the season ,very poor year with fish hard to come by most days even when there seemed to be plenty about ,the big rise a few weeks ago has killed it
Was out on Monday I seen fish after fish lopping out everywhere moved the same salmon twice on a sunray seen plenty seatrout too, how I didn't get a fish on the bank I will never know, had big bow waves to the fly and fish running threw,

Dalnashaugh

Reaction score
Was out on Monday I seen fish after fish lopping out everywhere moved the same salmon twice on a sunray seen plenty seatrout too, how I didn't get a fish on the bank I will never know, had big bow waves to the fly and fish running threw,
Small lift today should get fish moving ( if there are any to come of course). Are fish being seen in any numbers from C le St upstream?

Sperlash

Reaction score
Small lift today should get fish moving ( if there are any to come of course). Are fish being seen in any numbers from C le St upstream?
Very odd potted fish from newfield to harpley is all ive seen.Would like to think there are fish to push up but feel we are living in hope.Can honestly say its the worst ive ever seen it.Apart from the fish which ran in and got stuck at chester in August/september theres been little seen.
Remember the fish stuck at chester were the total wear run. According to a few very experienced mates who go down pretty much every day there were probably a few hundred fish cartainly not thousands in the bottom beats.

Sperlash

Reaction score
Watched a large red signal crayfish on sunday in one pool,next pool Otter ,next pool 5 goosanders WTF.....Hometime !!!

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
Very odd potted fish from newfield to harpley is all ive seen.Would like to think there are fish to push up but feel we are living in hope.Can honestly say its the worst ive ever seen it.Apart from the fish which ran in and got stuck at chester in August/september theres been little seen.
Remember the fish stuck at chester were the total wear run. According to a few very experienced mates who go down pretty much every day there were probably a few hundred fish cartainly not thousands in the bottom beats.
Thoughts on double the count this season sperlash?

X—rap

Reaction score
havnt fished cls for a few weeks but fished next stretch up which normally holds fish from early on ,seen 3 fish all day Sunday ( all in one place ) rest of the pools were lifeless ,very depressing for this time of year .
personally I think the whole river will be c&r very soon ! Hard to police I know but sadly that’s the way it’s going .
I do kill a couple of fish a season cos my better half loves salmon ( I hate fish ) so I like to have the choice to take one but the way things are it’s getting to the point where it’s better to return everything

greenlaner2009

Reaction score
havnt fished cls for a few weeks but fished next stretch up which normally holds fish from early on ,seen 3 fish all day Sunday ( all in one place ) rest of the pools were lifeless ,very depressing for this time of year .
personally I think the whole river will be c&r very soon ! Hard to police I know but sadly that’s the way it’s going .
I do kill a couple of fish a season cos my better half loves salmon ( I hate fish ) so I like to have the choice to take one but the way things are it’s getting to the point where it’s better to return everything
Its interesting how last years fish counts were about half of this year, but people had a good season and then this season poor returns. If its a dry year we struggle wet years we dont.

Sperlash

Reaction score
Thoughts on double the count this season sperlash?
Double times the worst count in living memory doesn't make an improving situation longterm. !!! Honestly can only comment from what I witnessed personally and as an example, fished the durham area a few years ago all week and had friends out right up the system (also below) who saw and caught nothing like myself.The same period registered 4000 plus fish over 3 days...Utter ******** ..This anomoly was actually stated to the powers that be at a public meeting and there was no comment given..to any possible miscalibration or glitch
The tynes the same, in utter meltdown in my opinion compared to just a few years ago.Go on the Ribble thread and the Lune they all have the same things in common ..Mass predation and a body of bureaucrats that arent interested in the angler or his quarry.
So Although I would love to paint a hopeful outlook I know 20k fish running (Best 29k) was 3 times the river it is now with 7k.

By the wear

Reaction score
Double times the worst count in living memory doesn't make an improving situation longterm. !!! Honestly can only comment from what I witnessed personally and as an example, fished the durham area a few years ago all week and had friends out right up the system (also below) who saw and caught nothing like myself.The same period registered 4000 plus fish over 3 days...Utter ******** ..This anomoly was actually stated to the powers that be at a public meeting and there was no comment given..to any possible miscalibration or glitch
The tynes the same, in utter meltdown in my opinion compared to just a few years ago.Go on the Ribble thread and the Lune they all have the same things in common ..Mass predation and a body of bureaucrats that arent interested in the angler or his quarry.
So Although I would love to paint a hopeful outlook I know 20k fish running (Best 29k) was 3 times the river it is now with 7k.
I for one dont take any notice of the fish counter or the data supplied by someone sat in a office,
If you fish the river regulary, you no if theres fish in the river, In my opinion there is less fish in the river this year than last.
Just my opinion, if other anglers think everything is fine, according to the fish counter, that is up to them.

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
I for one dont take any notice of the fish counter or the data supplied by someone sat in a office,
If you fish the river regulary, you no if theres fish in the river, In my opinion there is less fish in the river this year than last.
Just my opinion, if other anglers think everything is fine, according to the fish counter, that is up to them.
So you think the counters are wrong?