River wear 2021

greenlaner2009

Reaction score
Here is a picture to show you it was not Michael. I have screenshot it to hide the young lads face.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210826-054235_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20210826-054235_Messenger.jpg
    557.9 KB · Views: 443

Sperlash

Reaction score
If That fish was snatched it sums up the problems at durham free stretch where i presume it was caught illegally .A friend of mine recently tried to fish there into the dark and was told to feck off or else.Where are the people we are paying to police the river and what an utter disaster taking one of the last great gene pool fish from the river.Very sad to see.We all were up in arms at the idiots up at stanhope killing kippers,This is far worse in my opinion.Should be tracked down and prosecuted if snatched

greenlaner2009

Reaction score
If That fish was snatched it sums up the problems at durham free stretch where i presume it was caught illegally .A friend of mine recently tried to fish there into the dark and was told to feck off or else.Where are the people we are paying to police the river and what an utter disaster taking one of the last great gene pool fish from the river.Very sad to see.We all were up in arms at the idiots up at stanhope killing kippers,This is far worse in my opinion.Should be tracked down and prosecuted if snatched
That free stretch must be the easiest section of river to police, if they cant control it there it must be rife over the rest of the river. Also there was no uproar with any water controlled by stanhope and people killing black fish, you fished stanhope most your life and the attitudes have gotten better year on year. One final thing no one was told to feck off or else when night fishing at Durham this season that is simply untrue. Just to show it happens all over these were taken by the same group of lads last week from hexham bridge pool.

D

Deleted member 3847

So why dont you lads who fish, at durham let these snatchers no that they are not welcome?

greenlaner2009

Reaction score
So why dont you lads who fish, at durham let these snatchers no that they are not welcome?
Good question, I will turn it around to the likes of you and scierra who would of been in their prime in the 80s and 90s when the issues down there were rife, why did yous not go down and explain to them the error of their ways. One thing I will say is when they thought they could hood wink me and close that stretch the police were coming telling people they where breaking the law, if that much effort was put to the proper problem we may not be having this discussion now.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Good question, I will turn it around to the likes of you and scierra who would of been in their prime in the 80s and 90s when the issues down there were rife, why did yous not go down and explain to them the error of their ways. One thing I will say is when they thought they could hood wink me and close that stretch the police were coming telling people they where breaking the law, if that much effort was put to the proper problem we may not be having this discussion now.
Ok, i dont fish the river so will ask the question.
Why dont those that fish down there say or do something ?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 3847

Ive never fished there, but if someone was doing it on the water i fish i would have words with them, as old as i am.

toplad

Banned
Reaction score
Ive never fished there, but if someone was doing it on the water i fish i would have words with them, as old as i am.
Maybe it is the locals who are now allowing outsiders to come and fish that water,i have yet to have a problem while fishing the free section,everyone is helpfull and like to see others catching fish.Dont forget them locals are letting people on what they think is their water.Not the other way around and it isnt the job of anglers to go around questioning other anglers.Go down give it a try tell them that what they doing is wrong see what happens.

D

Deleted member 3847

Maybe it is the locals who are now allowing outsiders to come and fish that water,i have yet to have a problem while fishing the free section,everyone is helpfull and like to see others catching fish.Dont forget them locals are letting people on what they think is their water.Not the other way around and it isnt the job of anglers to go around questioning other anglers.Go down give it a try tell them that what they doing is wrong see what happens.
So what you are saying, is, that if your not prepared to put up with the snatching. Durham is basically, a no go zone?

toplad

Banned
Reaction score
So what you are saying, is, that if your not prepared to put up with the snatching. Durham is basically, a no go zone?
No that is not what i am saying,The free section can be welcoming by all who fish,the lads who fish there go out there way to put you onto fish and help in anyway they can.They isnt ever any trouble or anything.They never ever get in my way and if im walking to a pool head on with anyone who fits the description they usually let me go first for as long as it takes,so they is no problems as far as a no go zone is concerned - not like that at all.

Sperlash

Reaction score
With regard the free stretch its not much fun having a lead line chucked across your £600 7weight switch rod,last time i night fished there admittedly years ago the lines were wooshed across my leader and i got the hint.The lads are stroke hauling hexam pool nightly and have for a few seasons I know as ive seen them.Had a car bricked for telling them to leave and ea bailiffs obviously dont care as never been arrested.You can look off the bridge inthe dark and see them regular.As to someone being told to leave the free stretch aggressively i can assure you this was the case im not an attention seeker and if it had been me i can assure you the coppers would have been called.

SSGAL

Reaction score
Fish the Durham free stretch regularly, 2-3 times a week and its years since i have seen anyone snatching.
Here's tonights mini silver bar, not the target species but a fish is a fish....

Attachments

• IMG_20210826_190648.jpg
    IMG_20210826_190648.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 242
  • IMG_20210826_190655.jpg
    IMG_20210826_190655.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 234
  • IMG_20210826_190656.jpg
    IMG_20210826_190656.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 252

Sperlash

Reaction score
Fish the Durham free stretch regularly, 2-3 times a week and its years since i have seen anyone snatching.
Here's tonights mini silver bar, not the target species but a fish is a fish....
get yourself down in the dark when theres a drop water in mate might surprise or shock yourself

Sand dancer

Reaction score
I’d be interested to know how much cash the lads are making from an evenings snatching. I suppose back in the day they would have been easy enough to offload to hotels and restaurants etc.

Even without the tagged issue I would had thought the majority of businesses would have been wary about buying stuff like this in through the back door. It’s not like they are going to market it as prime wear rod caught salmon either.

Last edited:

Sperlash

Reaction score
I’d be interested to know how much cash the lads are making from an evenings snatching. I suppose back in the day they would have been easy enough to offload to hotels and restaurants etc.

Even without the tagged issue I would had thought the majority of business would have been wary about buying stuff like this in through the back door. It’s not like they are going to market it as prime wear rod caught salmon either.
one of my close friends used to be a poacher,he always said it wasnt the money it was the thrill.I personally think a lot of the catch is given away and the perpetrators see themselves as robin hood..If only they could see how wrong it is but i suppose they also see ripping a deer apart with a lurcher is also fun and acceptable