River wear 2021

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
Anyone had any red letter days on the wear? Even if it was yesteryear, hopefully those runs come back 👍🎣......

Sperlash

Reaction score
Anyone had any red letter days on the wear? Even if it was yesteryear, hopefully those runs come back 👍🎣......
Me and mate 17 salmon one session on fly between us .Many a six in a session night fishing for sea trout with fish up to 14 lb and a bad session up the dales worming would be anywhere up to double figures in numbers landed. .Unfortunately, dont ever envisage these days again our little rivers struggling badly like so many others .In terms of comparison in percentage terms I recon its down 80% on its prime if not more Very sad really!

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
Me and mate 17 salmon one session on fly between us .Many a six in a session night fishing for sea trout with fish up to 14 lb and a bad session up the dales worming would be anywhere up to double figures in numbers landed. .Unfortunately, dont ever envisage these days again our little rivers struggling badly like so many others .In terms of comparison in percentage terms I recon its down 80% on its prime if not more Very sad really!
Crazy numbers 😃, all we can do is hope 🙏

D

Deleted member 3847

When questions like this come up, sometimes us old uns are accused of looking through rose tinted glasses,
but this is, really how good it was. A well known beat on Bishops water would produce Maybe 300 fish a season, last year,
it would have been lucky to make 30, so sad to see.

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
When questions like this come up, sometimes us old uns are accused of looking through rose tinted glasses,
but this is, really how good it was. A well known beat on Bishops water would produce Maybe 300 fish a season, last year,
it would have been lucky to make 30, so sad to see.
Not that old are yous yet 🤣🤣 still plenty of fishing left in yous 😉, my whole point of the post was to get a feel of was what it was like back in the day as it was only a few years ago there was 20k fish running the river, man I would of loved to have seen it 👍🎣

lax0341

Reaction score
Not that old are yous yet 🤣🤣 still plenty of fishing left in yous 😉, my whole point of the post was to get a feel of was what it was like back in the day as it was only a few years ago there was 20k fish running the river, man I would of loved to have seen it 👍🎣
I‘ve seen it but they were also hard to catch sometimes…:cool:

D

Deleted member 21851

I was around to see the fish but too young to really do anything about it. If I saw such numbers of fish in the Wear today I'd be stunned.
I like to chat with the old timers who fished through those years and yes, in the teens of sea trout at night landed (and many more lost) was not uncommon. Some further up the dale would each catch 100 sea trout a season from June onwards.

I believe them because I used to virtually live in and on the river during the 6 weeks holiday and I'd see shoals in most pools. I was probably the little b'stard they used to curse if they caught nowt at night :ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 21851

Oh, another point, I honestly believe the runs were far greater before the fish pass started counting them. Like the last few years, I think there was a step reduction in fish. Some blame the 1987 wash out 6 years before the counter was up and running.

One guy told me all the locals would be out with their snares on sticks, home made tailers, and they'd just walk up the river and snare the fish by the tail. This for salmon.

Going further back a century or so a pitchfork like tool was favourite on the Tyne. They'd just stand at the river bank waiting for fish to pass within reach. Do that now you'd be there all day and see nowt.

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
I was around to see the fish but too young to really do anything about it. If I saw such numbers of fish in the Wear today I'd be stunned.
I like to chat with the old timers who fished through those years and yes, in the teens of sea trout at night landed (and many more lost) was not uncommon. Some further up the dale would each catch 100 sea trout a season from June onwards.

I believe them because I used to virtually live in and on the river during the 6 weeks holiday and I'd see shoals in most pools. I was probably the little b'stard they used to curse if they caught nowt at night :ROFLMAO:
Brilliant!! 🤣🤣🎣👍

Andrew B

Reaction score

I don’t have to go too far back to remember seeing big numbers of sea trout in the month of June. From the Dart to the Dwyfor I could always guarantee there would be enough fish to angle for. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that, this was before the extreme, “unprecedented” huge floods, which have now become the norm every winter?

D

Deleted member 3847

I think the floods we have have got something to do with it, back in the day a 2 foot rise would last a week, now, a 2 metre rise wont last that long?

D

Deleted member 21851

And the prodigious stocking of trout parr in their tens of thousands every year probably had something to do with it. Every club did it, probably in the knowledge that in the competition for food, most would go to sea and return a couple of years later as seas trout.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 3847

And the prodigious stocking of trout parr in their tens of thousands of thousands every year probably had something to do with it. Every club did it, probably in the knowledge that in the competition for food, most would go to sea and return a couple of years later as seas trout.
Every club stocked with tens of thousands of parr, really, who provided them?

Bushwhacker

Reaction score
And the prodigious stocking of trout parr in their tens of thousands of thousands every year probably had something to do with it. Every club did it, probably in the knowledge that in the competition for food, most would go to sea and return a couple of years later as seas trout.
And probably many of those stocked trout ate many Salmon and Seatrout fry and parr.

Sperlash

Reaction score
Every club stocked with tens of thousands of parr, really, who provided them?
River was constantly stocked from early 60s onwards pretty much from top to bottom.Bishop auckland managed their water wonderfully and introduced many thousands of imature breeders in the river.Once these matured the beats used to bounce with trout and sea trout.
My best season was 127 migratory fish to 23lb and best week 32 fish to 14lb all on fly!! Now I hardly even venture out as it breaks my heart to see it like it is..Then again what do us anglers know..Please watch the RIVERCIDE documetary on the WYE and look whats happening all over including ours

Last edited:

Sperlash

Reaction score
And probably many of those stocked trout ate many Salmon and Seatrout fry and parr.
Funnily When the trout were being stocked this coincided with our best ever years migratory runs .A lot of the trout went on the redds with the sea trout and many dropped back into lower reaches/estuary and became sea run.Id rather have that fishing back which we had in the eightees onwards than the few thousand migratory and the handfull of remaining trout and course fish hanging on for dear life by their fingertips.that we have now ..Im pretty sure youd agree!!

Andrew B

Reaction score
Id kind of forgotten about that? The Mawdach Hatchery, which covered many rivers in North Wales, was highly thought of at the time. There’s always been bad years for spawning and just on my local beck I can see the results of a winter without huge floods as there will be lots of beautiful trout parr.
I was often amazed on the Dwyfor how such tiny streams a few feet wide and sometimes steep would be full of parr.
He hatcheries are there on most rivers so why not use em is my opinion

Andrew B

Reaction score
Funnily When the trout were being stocked this coincided with our best ever years migratory runs .A lot of the trout went on the redds with the sea trout and many dropped back into lower reaches/estuary and became sea run.Id rather have that fishing back which we had in the eightees onwards than the few thousand migratory and the handfull of remaining trout and course fish hanging on for dear life by their fingertips.that we have now ..Im pretty sure youd agree!!
I’d agree 100%. Can we also agree that fishermen going back to Victorian times, who managed to ship trout eggs all over the globe inc Tierra Del Fuego and up until the nineties knew what they were doing re hatcheries.
I don’t believe that science has come up with anything approaching progress re our rivers?

Andrew B

Reaction score
What year did this stocking come to a stop?
Dates will vary but I’m guessing the Mawdach hatchery would only be about seven years ago or so?
On the Cumbrian Derwent the Keswick hatchery was used for many years before being shut down and now with over 200 pairs of saw billed ducks, only ten smolts out of a hundred may make it out to sea.
I wasn’t aware the Wear had a hatchery but it wouldn’t surprise me as many rivers still have them, albeit they are hard work and can’t be left to one or two club members to do the graft as is often the case.

greenlaner2009

Reaction score
I’d agree 100%. Can we also agree that fishermen going back to Victorian times, who managed to ship trout eggs all over the globe inc Tierra Del Fuego and up until the nineties knew what they were doing re hatcheries.
I don’t believe that science has come up with anything approaching progress re our rivers?
No we can not.

Sperlash

Reaction score
Yes they had great forsight in my opinion ..We will eventually with hindsight,I feel, realize the true motive for all this genetic importance rubbish,We are heading towards barren rivers run for nature lovers ,canoeists and the general public and the act of sticking a hook in a fish (not that there will be any left to catch anyway) by us fisherman will either be banned or a massively frowned upon.
Whats the point in fishing if theres nothing in to catch anyway.Im 100% certain angling will simply fizzle out due to a dying breed of anglers,lack of youth entering the sport and with empty rivers whats the point anyway.Please everyone watch youtube ,,Google.. Michael frodin on Icelands East Ranga just posted on youtube,an advocate of complete natural selection.He is fishing on a dead river where eggs dont hatch...He only catches 26 in his first session and 54 for his three days .Guess what ??? the river has a managed hatchery.. What a hypocrite!!! But wouldnt we all like a couple of days fishing ,,I sure would

greenlaner2009

Reaction score
Yes they had great forsight in my opinion ..We will eventually with hindsight,I feel, realize the true motive for all this genetic importance rubbish,We are heading towards barren rivers run for nature lovers ,canoeists and the general public and the act of sticking a hook in a fish (not that there will be any left to catch anyway) by us fisherman will either be banned or a massively frowned upon.
Whats the point in fishing if theres nothing in to catch anyway.Im 100% certain angling will simply fizzle out due to a dying breed of anglers,lack of youth entering the sport and with empty rivers whats the point anyway.Please everyone watch youtube ,,Google.. Michael frodin on Icelands East Ranga just posted on youtube,an advocate of complete natural selection.He is fishing on a dead river where eggs dont hatch...He only catches 26 in his first session and 54 for his three days .Guess what ??? the river has a managed hatchery.. What a hypocrite!!! But wouldnt we all like a couple of days fishing ,,I sure would
That's what's known as ranching, it can't do any harm on a river with no natural run of fish completely different from any UK river, so a completely pointless analogy.

D

Deleted member 21851

It's a long time ago since I heard this but I think all Wear trout were stocked from Wear broodstock from a hatchery in Northumberland which wasn't Kielder. I could easily be wrong on this.
I know of only one club that stocks now which is Willington who stock triploid trout. IMO a completely and utterly pointless exercise as they just take food from the wild trout who are able to breed. I only caught a few trout while in Willington, bycatch from salmon fishing, and none of them were stockies with the tattoo on the belly.