River wear 2021

greenlaner2009

Reaction score
The middle reaches around the Durham area is famed for it
I read on one of your other post to me that you could not be an auld gillie because you would be snapping rods and throwing people in the river, why don't you get yourself down there and sort them out. You could maybe have a cast with one of your Coneheads, but not a flying c with a massive treble attached. If you have a look off the wall you may see the reflection of Dave Wilkinson with his scierra hat on. All the best Auld lad. Graham. P. S you where wrong I'm not banded from a particular local angling club so do one and suck eggs.lol.

Scierra

Reaction score
I read on one of your other post to me that you could not be an auld gillie because you would be snapping rods and throwing people in the river, why don't you get yourself down there and sort them out. You could maybe have a cast with one of your Coneheads, but not a flying c with a massive treble attached. If you have a look off the wall you may see the reflection of Dave Wilkinson with his scierra hat on. All the best Auld lad. Graham. P. S you where wrong I'm not banded from a particular local angling club so do one and suck eggs.lol.
I "Tacks" nee notice of gobblygookers :D

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
Cheap as bloody chips that if anyone is after a 12ft bargain 👍🎣

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210731-122719_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210731-122719_Samsung Internet.jpg
    416.4 KB · Views: 66

Slandteacher

Reaction score
Evening all, after 35 years of fishing (stillwater fly, sea, carp) I have made the decision to have a serious go for salmon/sea trout. Joined a couple of clubs that have water on the Wear plus its my local. Mainly downstream of Durham but also waters available to me on the Till, Coquet and North Tyne. Currently looking at rod, reel and line combos. No mad rush as want to take my time with kit and to be fair if it takes till next season to get fully ready to go I can just continue on the stillwaters. What rod length would people recommend as an allround one that is not going to be over/under gunned for the waters available to me.

Stoatstail1967

Reaction score
Evening all, after 35 years of fishing (stillwater fly, sea, carp) I have made the decision to have a serious go for salmon/sea trout. Joined a couple of clubs that have water on the Wear plus its my local. Mainly downstream of Durham but also waters available to me on the Till, Coquet and North Tyne. Currently looking at rod, reel and line combos. No mad rush as want to take my time with kit and to be fair if it takes till next season to get fully ready to go I can just continue on the stillwaters. What rod length would people recommend as an allround one that is not going to be over/under gunned for the waters available to me.
Chances are your stillwater tackle will be fine to get you up and running.
9'6" - 10' #7 single hander will be fine for the seatrout and you can sort a salmon outfit out when you've had a talk to a few people on the riverbank👍

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
Thanks. Got a few 10ft 7 weights as was my go to rod on the reservoirs.
For salmon look no further than the Shakespeare oracle 12ft-13ft in 7/8/9 weights, John norris of penrith have them currently on offer mate if you give them a ring they will be more than helpful on pairing you up with a reel and line to balance the outfit 👍

Slandteacher

Reaction score
For salmon look no further than the Shakespeare oracle 12ft-13ft in 7/8/9 weights, John norris of penrith have them currently on offer mate if you give them a ring they will be more than helpful on pairing you up with a reel and line to balance the outfit 👍
Thanks. That was one I had considered. Might take a day trip over there with the kids and have a good look.

Stoatstail1967

Reaction score
Thanks. Got a few 10ft 7 weights as was my go to rod on the reservoirs.
As long as you have a decent reel and floating line you are good to go for seatrout.
The same setup served me perfectly well for salmon on the upper Lune but although it'll do the job for you it's far from ideal.
If you say which clubs you've joined then I'm sure someone will advise you on something more suitable 👍

Slandteacher

Reaction score
As long as you have a decent reel and floating line you are good to go for seatrout.
The same setup served me perfectly well for salmon on the upper Lune but although it'll do the job for you it's far from ideal.
If you say which clubs you've joined then I'm sure someone will advise you on something more suitable 👍
DCAC and FFF