River wear 2021

Lynnzer

Reaction score
I really feel for them. I was stationed in an army camp next to the river Weser in Nienburg and that had an occasional "overflow" but not a full flood. Fishing was terrific there and the Germans were a mixed bunch of people, some who barely tolerated us and others who opened their arms to us.
Whatever their feelings at that time, I can't but help feel immensely sorry for them.
_________________________________________________________​
I was out yesterday morning down at Shincliffe and came home at 12:00 after almost drowning in my own sweat inside my chest waders. So bloody hot.
Very little movement on the river. Loads of fry swimming around my feet and an occasional splash from either very small brownies or dace but nothing of any size. Also no apparent hatch to shake things up a bit.
I tried fly, spinner and finished with float-fishing maggots without any interest. All with brownies in mind so I had no salmon tackle with me as I didn't think the water conditions were right.

I guess it's off to the pier next for mackerel but to be honest I don't really have any incentive. I have no need or fridge space to keep more than a couple of them and don't want to catch what I don't need.
Roll on a decent spate.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Honestly, I just don't get it. If they are leaping all over the place then I'd understand it, but fish, even in a school of a couple of dozen, swimming upstream underwater on a river that has surface noise anyway, surely can't be heard.

If you’re fishing on a pool known as a trap on the river I fish, trust me you can’t miss it when a double figure sea trout moves through and usually straight on.
Only last week in super low conditions as it was dusk and still very much visible I witnessed a few small Sewin take on a fifty yard gravel run, albeit I never heard them.
Lol if you don’t understand that, you’re gonna love this one I heard by a fellow sea trout angler last week as I told him about those running fish I’d seen, he replied with full seriousness that “he could smell them”.

I’ve heard some stuff inc detective work of looking for the dislodged scales of fresh sea trout as they run over certain rocks with moss on, but to be able to smell them is a new one on me😂

Just to add the noises at night. I was once in up to my waist on the river Dart and was surrounded by leaping sea trout and some the jumped within yards I could hear this mad whirring sound? I’ve asked on the U.K. sea trout forum if anyone else has heard it and they had. Having come to the conclusion that it must of been made by the fins, only last week in an old book it actually mentioned the whirring fin of a sea trout breaking the sound on a quiet night.

It sounds like one of those things swung round over the head and is pretty strange at night.

Last edited:

Andrew B

Reaction score
Which river are you fishing? I've heard of lots caught...
Didn’t I make post after your first or second belting fish, that had you not caught this fish, most folk would presume there was nothing in the river?
I know you was very philosophical about it re all of the stars in alignment and not missing the takes which of course all helps but when I see reports of there being no fish I’ve long since stopped paying attention.

I compare this to Martin James who on the opening day of the course season on his beloved Ribble at midnight for chub and at 3am on a snake fly and a wake lure took a five and three pound sea trout when the general opinion was of no fish.

Tees88

Reaction score
Didn’t I make post after your first or second belting fish, that had you not caught this fish, most folk would presume there was nothing in the river?
I know you was very philosophical about it re all of the stars in alignment and not missing the takes which of course all helps but when I see reports of there being no fish I’ve long since stopped paying attention.

I compare this to Martin James who on the opening day of the course season on his beloved Ribble at midnight for chub and at 3am on a snake fly and a wake lure took a five and three pound sea trout when the general opinion was of no fish.
There has been fish caught, mainly lower reaches (Free stretch, Shincliffe & CLS) but not as many as usual. Then as we move up river to the middle reaches it's been very quiet to say we are almost into August.

When people say "no fish" I don't think it's meant to be taken literally, more as a throw away comment that it's not fishing that great. Congrats to that guy, did they go on to have a bumper season?

Isisalar

Reaction score
If you’re fishing on a pool known as a trap on the river I fish, trust me you can’t miss it when a double figure sea trout moves through and usually straight on.
Only last week in super low conditions as it was dusk and still very much visible I witnessed a few small Sewin take on a fifty yard gravel run, albeit I never heard them.
Lol if you don’t understand that, you’re gonna love this one I heard by a fellow sea trout angler last week as I told him about those running fish I’d seen, he replied with full seriousness that “he could smell them”.

I’ve heard some stuff inc detective work of looking for the dislodged scales of fresh sea trout as they run over certain rocks with moss on, but to be able to smell them is a new one on me😂

Just to add the noises at night. I was once in up to my waist on the river Dart and was surrounded by leaping sea trout and some the jumped within yards I could hear this mad whirring sound? I’ve asked on the U.K. sea trout forum if anyone else has heard it and they had. Having come to the conclusion that it must of been made by the fins, only last week in an old book it actually mentioned the whirring fin of a sea trout breaking the sound on a quiet night.

It sounds like one of those things swung round over the head and is pretty strange at night.
The whirring/ thrumming noise is when they jump and their tails are still in accelerate and jump mode. Heard it a lot on the Itchen when the Woodmill pool used to be stuffed with sea Trout.

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
Definitely mate, very hard to catch at current water levels in the day. But once we get some water they will be up for it. I've had one jump and land on my leader before 😂😂😂

Andrew B

Reaction score
The whirring/ thrumming noise is when they jump and their tails are still in accelerate and jump mode. Heard it a lot on the Itchen when the Woodmill pool used to be stuffed with sea Trout.
Ahh that’s so cool you know what I’m on about as ive not heard that particular noise for years.
But yeah the pool I was on was also stuffed with fish and being as it was on one of those classic quiet nights, the whirring noise was really quite loud.
One thing about jumpers, hard to know for sure but rarely have I ever cast over a splash and had a take and I’ve always thought it’s the fish you don’t see that take the fly?
Both me and a friend only last week we’re lucky enough to have an Ariel view of a double figure sea trout whilst still light enough to see. The fish was a running fish and whilst only a foot under water, turned on a dime, powered under water for a few yards before hurling itself out.
All seem to happen in slow motion and gave us such a buzz lol.

Andrew B

Reaction score
There has been fish caught, mainly lower reaches (Free stretch, Shincliffe & CLS) but not as many as usual. Then as we move up river to the middle reaches it's been very quiet to say we are almost into August.

When people say "no fish" I don't think it's meant to be taken literally, more as a throw away comment that it's not fishing that great. Congrats to that guy, did they go on to have a bumper season?
Well yeah I know what you mean for sure. I know as sea trout anglers we want settled conditions but this year has been ridiculous as I found out myself in Wales. It’s raining at the Oval as I write this😡
a decent spate or two would no doubt see numbers on the middle/upper river but it’s anyone’s guess as to when it will happen.
Re Walleye he said himself he was fortunate to get three takes off double figure sea trout and they all stuck, albeit there was no luck in covering them.

Walleye

Reaction score
Ahh that’s so cool you know what I’m on about as ive not heard that particular noise for years.
But yeah the pool I was on was also stuffed with fish and being as it was on one of those classic quiet nights, the whirring noise was really quite loud.
One thing about jumpers, hard to know for sure but rarely have I ever cast over a splash and had a take and I’ve always thought it’s the fish you don’t see that take the fly?
Both me and a friend only last week we’re lucky enough to have an Ariel view of a double figure sea trout whilst still light enough to see. The fish was a running fish and whilst only a foot under water, turned on a dime, powered under water for a few yards before hurling itself out.
All seem to happen in slow motion and gave us such a buzz lol.
I've caught many jumpers. One memorable fish jumped before I started fishing and it was on the bank 20 minutes later. I don't cover them right away though, give em time to settle and they'll take ok.

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
The video was actually on YouTube until I wrote in the comments in shear disgust "Frosterley angling association" and was quickly removed, all involved are absolute clueless buffoons for taking fish like this and the smiles on there faces 🤣🤣🤣, ripping gravid fish out and then chapping them jesus christ almighty 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️