River wear 2021

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
In truth I don't mind the Dolphins out at sea in their environment, but yes we need a proper lift to get them up river & get it fishing well throughout the system.
Agreed mate, the sewin will/should run anyway but the salmon for sure need a good lift for a few days/week.

Lynnzer

Reaction score
Talking to a mate there who's friend is a swimmer off the coast said there's an unbelievable amount of dolphins there every day......... there goes our run 😫, wish we had a full on spate to get them in 🙏
Salmon and sea trout might be the favourite meal but remember there are much easier fish for them to catch. It's mackerel season and as a shoal fish will be the main target for dolphins and seals.
Saying that, the last few times I've had my beachcaster out I've caught nowt anyway.

lax0341

Reaction score
There’s a rumor that the decline of the Dee salmon and seatrout stocks is linked with a large school of dolphins near the rivermouth. I like dolphins but this is a sad story.

D

Deleted member 21851

There’s a rumor that the decline of the Dee salmon and seatrout stocks is linked with a large school of dolphins near the rivermouth. I like dolphins but this is a sad story.
If it is true, it is still our fault. We have decimated fish stocks in the North sea to such an extent there are very few food sources available now for large predators and most have disappeared. Scarborough used to be a mecca for giant tuna fishing. The food source goes, so do the large predators. The few remaining predators will take more and more of a seasonal harvest of migratory fish, but they would have done anyway - predators always take advantage of seasonal harvests.... We can't blame dolphins, seals etc for just doing what dolphins, seals etc do.

Beefly Dave

Reaction score
If it is true, it is still our fault. We have decimated fish stocks in the North sea to such an extent there are very few food sources available now for large predators and most have disappeared. Scarborough used to be a mecca for giant tuna fishing. The food source goes, so do the large predators. The few remaining predators will take more and more of a seasonal harvest of migratory fish, but they would have done anyway - predators always take advantage of seasonal harvests.... We can't blame dolphins, seals etc for just doing what dolphins, seals etc do.

Beefly Dave

Reaction score
Seems most likely that the collapse in runs on numerous rivers is resulting in increasing aggregations of predators around the rivers that still produce. As walleye suggests, the problems are far wider than the dolphins themselves.

Lynnzer

Reaction score
Seems most likely that the collapse in runs on numerous rivers is resulting in increasing aggregations of predators around the rivers that still produce. As walleye suggests, the problems are far wider than the dolphins themselves.
Just wondering : But : Don't Orcas eat dolphins? Any been sighted at Wearmouth?

greenlaner2009

Reaction score
I'd really like to know the numbers minced in the Archimedes screw. Bet your life there are many fish that try to navigate up-river when there's insufficient flow over the dam.
Zero that's how many are minced in the screw, that screw installation along with the new fish pass is the best thing that's happened on the river to aid the fish to get upstream.

Lynnzer

Reaction score
Zero that's how many are minced in the screw, that screw installation along with the new fish pass is the best thing that's happened on the river to aid the fish to get upstream.
That's good to hear. I have seen mention elsewhere that numerous fish fell victim to the screw.

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
1814 for June count +628 on last year's june count, heatwave conditions and no proper spate on the wear has made it very tough, but every month this year is an improvement on last year........rain dance anyone 😀