River wear 2021

Lynnzer

Reaction score
Plenty seatrout getting caught any news on salmon coming out after that lift, haven't been out due to wisdom tooth infection, man I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy 🤣🤣
Ah, the wisdom tooth. Horrible. I had the same and couldn't even get a dentist appointment as he was on holiday. Then I had a hell of a job getting antibiotics as only my dentist could prescribe them. I lived on triple doses of ibuprofen for almost 2 months until I got the tooth pulled, and mind you the ibuprofen worked really well.

Just been over to my dental technician's at Bowburn and I had to pass the river at Shincliffe bridge so I thought I'd have a quick look-see how it was running. I'd say it was around 35cm high and not too coloured. The other side of the bridge normally has a shingle bank above the water level but this is covered so 35cm seems about right. I could vaguely make out the bottom through the water.
Funny thing is that try as I might I couldn't hear any running fish over the gravel bars. Never mind eh. It's very likely there's a good salmon run ongoing now so the rod will be ready and waiting for a Friday session.

D

Deleted member 21851

Ah, the wisdom tooth. Horrible. I had the same and couldn't even get a dentist appointment as he was on holiday. Then I had a hell of a job getting antibiotics as only my dentist could prescribe them. I lived on triple doses of ibuprofen for almost 2 months until I got the tooth pulled, and mind you the ibuprofen worked really well.

Just been over to my dental technician's at Bowburn and I had to pass the river at Shincliffe bridge so I thought I'd have a quick look-see how it was running. I'd say it was around 35cm high and not too coloured. The other side of the bridge normally has a shingle bank above the water level but this is covered so 35cm seems about right. I could vaguely make out the bottom through the water.
Funny thing is that try as I might I couldn't hear any running fish over the gravel bars. Never mind eh. It's very likely there's a good salmon run ongoing now so the rod will be ready and waiting for a Friday session.

Could your wisdom tooth problem have caused issues with your hearing? :ROFLMAO:

I think what folk are referring to are those locations where the entire width of the river is a shallow gravel bar and the distinctive noise made as the fish runs through the shallows with tail tips out of the water. I am not sure there are many places like this at all on the Wear.

Lynnzer

Reaction score
Could your wisdom tooth problem have caused issues with your hearing? :ROFLMAO:

I think what folk are referring to are those locations where the entire width of the river is a shallow gravel bar and the distinctive noise made as the fish runs through the shallows with tail tips out of the water. I am not sure there are many places like this at all on the Wear.
Ah. My tinnitus might have a little bit to do with it eh?
I don't know the full river geography but there are wide(ish) shallows that I know of but they have stones of a decent size rather than gravel.

Sperlash

Reaction score
Can anyone post the june fish counts on the wear please.My ea link wont open for some reason.Thanks in advance.

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
Can anyone post the june fish counts on the wear please.My ea link wont open for some reason.Thanks in advance.
June as of yet not updated, generally the 15th/16th of every month 👍🎣

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210709-084017_Excel.jpg
    Screenshot_20210709-084017_Excel.jpg
    959.3 KB · Views: 75

Lynnzer

Reaction score
I'd really like to know the numbers minced in the Archimedes screw. Bet your life there are many fish that try to navigate up-river when there's insufficient flow over the dam.

salmonless

Reaction score
Ive been down the river the last 3 days trying to get a bit of fishing in but it just wont bloody clear. Visibility still bad. I seem to remember the river would clear after a day or two in the past. I know its still possible to catch but its definitely confidence sapping :(

Beefly Dave

Reaction score
Ive been down the river the last 3 days trying to get a bit of fishing in but it just wont bloody clear. Visibility still bad. I seem to remember the river would clear after a day or two in the past. I know its still possible to catch but its definitely confidence sapping :(
Looked like someone had flushed out a concrete mixer the other night. Saw 2 fish in trouble kiting on the top while drifting downstream

Sperlash

Reaction score
Had a couple of outings in the dark last couple of nights around witton area.The river is pretty much devoid of anything let alone sea trout.Lamped all the pools zero sea trout and hand full of parr.The highlight was watching the otter murder some ducklings,,suppose it has to eat something if there no fish on the menu.
On a brighter note a few fish pushed past earlier in the week with rumours of a couple caught so we live in hope..
Shincliffe and brockbanks definately the main hotspots on the wear in my opinion if your the nocturnal type of fisher.

D

Deleted member 21851

Had a couple of outings in the dark last couple of nights around witton area.The river is pretty much devoid of anything let alone sea trout.Lamped all the pools zero sea trout and hand full of parr.The highlight was watching the otter murder some ducklings,,suppose it has to eat something if there no fish on the menu.
On a brighter note a few fish pushed past earlier in the week with rumours of a couple caught so we live in hope..
Shincliffe and brockbanks definately the main hotspots on the wear in my opinion if your the nocturnal type of fisher.
Which river are you fishing? I've heard of lots caught...

Mark-ne

Reaction score
I was out till late last night and it was very quiet and I only saw 2 fish in 5 hours

Mark-ne

Reaction score
We are obviously doing something wrong mate as the lads reckon its fishing well...
It is I caught my first couple of fish on Thursday but the water has dropped off now, there should be plenty of sea trout moving through the pools. Salmon seam to be scarce, I've not seen any in the last couple of outings.

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
Was fishing half mile downstream and seen a few on Friday night, mate was out last night and said it was bouncing

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
Talking to a mate there who's friend is a swimmer off the coast said there's an unbelievable amount of dolphins there every day......... there goes our run 😫, wish we had a full on spate to get them in 🙏

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
Loving the look of the graham's seatrout special fly rod, anyone had any use of these? Nicely priced at £144 in an 11ft 3" 7/8. Has removable switch butt to make it a full single hander? Also do a grilse special in an 8/9