River wear 2021

Andrew B

Reaction score
Good day yesterday, we thrashed Germany then I went out and caught this sea trout. It wasn't weighed but it was definitely bigger than the weighed 9.5lb fish I posted a couple of weeks back so I'm calling it at a conservative 10lb. I knew from the off when I hooked it that it was some fish. When me and my fishing buddy saw it in the net we both just swore out loud.
View attachment 62721
View attachment 62722
As a side note, I'm on quite a roll...the last 3 sea trout I've hooked, I've landed them all and they have been 11lb and 9.5lb (both weighed) and this at a conservative 10lb. So my last 3 sea trout are averaging over 10lb. I'm thinking of retiring :ROFLMAO:

Only on our lovely little River Wear....
Yes you could say that. I’m sure you’ll agree that this some feat on any river as imo these big ones are so aloof but you’ve certainly taken advantage of the conditions imo as previous seasons have seen these fish run for the hills.

Take a bow sir

Andrew B

Reaction score
What a funny old game sea trout fishing is? In as much as had you not caught these magnificent fish or posted them it’d be so easy to think and say that the Wear is dead or the fish aren’t there yet lol.
To put in perspective I’ve been checking out old Dovey threads from 2011(very good year) and yet there were dedicated regulars who blanked the whole season and conversely there were a select few who had some red letter nights?

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
Good day yesterday, we thrashed Germany then I went out and caught this sea trout. It wasn't weighed but it was definitely bigger than the weighed 9.5lb fish I posted a couple of weeks back so I'm calling it at a conservative 10lb. I knew from the off when I hooked it that it was some fish. When me and my fishing buddy saw it in the net we both just swore out loud.
View attachment 62721
View attachment 62722
As a side note, I'm on quite a roll...the last 3 sea trout I've hooked, I've landed them all and they have been 11lb and 9.5lb (both weighed) and this at a conservative 10lb. So my last 3 sea trout are averaging over 10lb. I'm thinking of retiring :ROFLMAO:

Stunning John, once again congratulations.......no seatrout is safe 😀

D

Deleted member 21851

Yes you could say that. I’m sure you’ll agree that this some feat on any river as imo these big ones are so aloof but you’ve certainly taken advantage of the conditions imo as previous seasons have seen these fish run for the hills.

Take a bow sir
A huge number of stars have aligned. I am basically two solid pulls away from blanking so far this season. I normally lose a good few fish early in the season.
I've had a huge slice of luck for which I am really grateful.

D

Deleted member 21851

Aye ....... and a good number of missed sleeping hours. Have a good kip now and refresh for the next outing.
To be clear, I was referring to stoatstail there (as the skilled, knowledgeable and dedicated one), definitely not myself.

Beefly Dave

Reaction score
A huge number of stars have aligned. I am basically two solid pulls away from blanking so far this season. I normally lose a good few fish early in the season.
I've had a huge slice of luck for which I am really grateful.
Fantastic fish once again. And while I get the slice of luck comment, it's almost always the good fishers that pick up these kind of fish at night on the fly.

SSGAL

Reaction score
Hello all, new to the forum but have been reading for a while. Good sized , coloured fish sitting below Framwellgate dam today. Damage to its head, dolphin teeth marks?

Attachments

• IMG_20210701_132403.jpg
    IMG_20210701_132403.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20210701_132400.jpg
    IMG_20210701_132400.jpg
    654.6 KB · Views: 102

Tees88

Reaction score
Hello all, new to the forum but have been reading for a while. Good sized , coloured fish sitting below Framwellgate dam today. Damage to its head, dolphin teeth marks?
Nice fish, yes either a Dolphin or a Seal so it's had a lucky escape.

Lynnzer

Reaction score
Now it has to get past the otters to reach its final destination

greenlaner2009

Reaction score
Rumours has it durham free stretch was netted a couple of nights ago anybody heard anything, ?
That rumour is rubbish, I know exactly how and why that came about. I think it would be almost impossible to do anything like that there, there's fisherfolk out all night every night.

Mark-ne

Reaction score
View attachment 62721
View attachment 62722

Absolutely gorgeous fish hopefully you'll keep better fish!

D

Deleted member 21851

Getting better fish that was meant to say opps!
Thanks, I hope so too. I just hope I haven't peaked :ROFLMAO: saw a bigger one jump last night and was shaking like a leaf covering it but no luck this time.

Lynnzer

Reaction score
Good to hear, I was out last night plenty of fish but no takes I think there was a good few grilse running too.
Was that actually evident, or are you just surmising? How can you tell if you get no takes and of course at night with little visibility. I'm not being contentious but if there's some way to know for sure I'd love to apply the knowledge.
Guess there's more movement now after today's rain so I'll be getting out before the weekend when I don't have grandkids to look after.

lax0341

Reaction score
Was that actually evident, or are you just surmising? How can you tell if you get no takes and of course at night with little visibility. I'm not being contentious but if there's some way to know for sure I'd love to apply the knowledge.
Guess there's more movement now after today's rain so I'll be getting out before the weekend when I don't have grandkids to look after.
If you have ever stood on the river at night when fish are moving in good numbers you will never forget that very special sound.:cool:

Lynnzer

Reaction score
If you have ever stood on the river at night when fish are moving in good numbers you will never forget that very special sound.:cool:
Honestly, I just don't get it. If they are leaping all over the place then I'd understand it, but fish, even in a school of a couple of dozen, swimming upstream underwater on a river that has surface noise anyway, surely can't be heard.

Last edited:

lax0341

Reaction score
If they move over a gravel bank that‘s a very special sound. I‘ve recognized this first time around 20 years ago on the Gaula .

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
Plenty seatrout getting caught any news on salmon coming out after that lift, haven't been out due to wisdom tooth infection, man I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy 🤣🤣