River wear 2021

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
I’m more going off past experience from fishing the river Eden, it was always the seatrout that would throw them selfs around in the black off night or at least that’s what I thought they were
One once jumped out right next to me in the dead of night absolutely soaked me 🤣🤣🤣.....and scared the bloody crap out of me haha

Andrew B

Reaction score
One once jumped out right next to me in the dead of night absolutely soaked me 🤣🤣🤣.....and scared the bloody crap out of me haha
Lol once happened to me on the river Lyhner. I was at the stage where I was learning and yet to catch a sea trout.Stood in the river above the first see pool in a fast flowing channel and a huge sea trout crashed right next me and seriously my first thoughts were a swan had fallen out of a tree, before realising Swans don’t go in trees.
On really still nights with Sea Trout jumping out, you can actually a weird humming noise? I’ve spoken to their Sea Trout anglers who have hears the same thing.

Auldghillie

Reaction score
Lol once happened to me on the river Lyhner. I was at the stage where I was learning and yet to catch a sea trout.Stood in the river above the first see pool in a fast flowing channel and a huge sea trout crashed right next me and seriously my first thoughts were a swan had fallen out of a tree, before realising Swans don’t go in trees.
On really still nights with Sea Trout jumping out, you can actually a weird humming noise? I’ve spoken to their Sea Trout anglers who have hears the same thing.
It’s either the wax in your ears ot the fishes tail going as I state above. Only you will know.

Lynnzer

Reaction score
No that belongs to the council the agreement was price was to remain the same and rules to be the same so that it is inclusive for all anglers, club just do the tickets and get to keep the revenue. My opinion is if the town council don't want the revenue it should of just been designated a free stretch. I am contemplating a freedom of information request to DCC for all the land they own that has riverbank to try to get more areas of free fishing, I think there will be miles of the gaunless.

There's a damn good report on the state of the river gaunless that's worth a read.
This was my playground area when I was a kid and I caught a good number of brownies from there. They were small but for a kid equally as nice as a salmon to me.
I never saw any of these beauties though but might just take a wander over there sometime to walk old pathways.

From my searches it seems that no-one has rights to the river so landholder permission should be sought if anyone wants to give it a try.

Auldghillie

Reaction score
There's a damn good report on the state of the river gaunless that's worth a read.
This was my playground area when I was a kid and I caught a good number of brownies from there. They were small but for a kid equally as nice as a salmon to me.
I never saw any of these beauties though but might just take a wander over there sometime to walk old pathways.

From my searches it seems that no-one has rights to the river so landholder permission should be sought if anyone wants to give it a try.
if there’s no deeds etc, there’s usually a presumption that a landowner with both banks has fishing right through the river.

If banks in separate ownership, each owns to the middle line. Just imagine the river drained and it’s easy to follow. Each owner could fence to the middle. AG

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
Had a few hours on BADAC water last night after seatrout, didn't see or hear anything (apart from an otter) but did have a little pull at the fly a couple of times, probably just little trout. Felt great to wet a line in the dark again, if you don't go you'll never know 🎣👍

D

Deleted member 21851

Good luck seeing anything in this....
Screenshot_20210503-112453_WhatsApp.jpg

The grey green milky colour is supposed to be due to iron rich mine outflows but it just happens to be a problem below the STW.
Been running like this for several weeks now as far as I know and it is a regular occurrence.

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
Decent flush on the forecast let's hope the predictions are right 👍

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210503-114303_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210503-114303_Chrome.jpg
    436.6 KB · Views: 35

MarkR

Reaction score
View attachment 60713
The grey green milky colour is supposed to be due to iron rich mine outflows but it just happens to be a problem below the STW.
Been running like this for several weeks now as far as I know and it is a regular occurrence.
I've often seen this tinge in the Wear Walleye, and wondered what it was. Do you reckon its anything worth informing the EA/Rivers Authority about?

Lynnzer

Reaction score
View attachment 60713
We used to make a dam on the stretch adjacent to the Wheatsheaf pub at St Helen's and swim there in the summer. The water was always good quality and clear. In fact at age 11 I lost one of my front teeth while trying to ride my bike through a lampost and had a denture fitted. That came out while swimming in the pool behind the dam and I spent a couple of days paddling around feeling the river bed for it and it was found and put straight back into my mouth. Don't think I'd be keen to put something in my mouth from the water shown in the picture though.

I would have thought that iron rich mine effluent would be brown rather than milky white. On reflection coming from the area where my father worked as a drift miner, I know there aren't really any likely old mines along the stretch to colour the water to that extent. The full length of the river is away from old mine workings so unless there are now new factories on the riverside with discharges into the river I can't think where this is all coming from. Perhaps a litre or so collected and sent off to the E.A. for analysis would give us a clue.

D

Deleted member 21851

I've often seen this tinge in the Wear Walleye, and wondered what it was. Do you reckon its anything worth informing the EA/Rivers Authority about?
They know about it from me and others. It's even mentioned but brushed over in a research report on polluted mine water.
Which in itself is bullpoop. If I was researching mine water pollution, saw this colour in the river and the EA informed me it was due to polluted mine water, I think I'd have assigned more than one sentence to it in a comprehensive 15 page report into mine water pollution.

D

Deleted member 21851

We used to make a dam on the stretch adjacent to the Wheatsheaf pub at St Helen's and swim there in the summer. The water was always good quality and clear. In fact at age 11 I lost one of my front teeth while trying to ride my bike through a lampost and had a denture fitted. That came out while swimming in the pool behind the dam and I spent a couple of days paddling around feeling the river bed for it and it was found and put straight back into my mouth. Don't think I'd be keen to put something in my mouth from the water shown in the picture though.

I would have thought that iron rich mine effluent would be brown rather than milky white. On reflection coming from the area where my father worked as a drift miner, I know there aren't really any likely old mines along the stretch to colour the water to that extent. The full length of the river is away from old mine workings so unless there are now new factories on the riverside with discharges into the river I can't think where this is all coming from. Perhaps a litre or so collected and sent off to the E.A. for analysis would give us a clue.
There is quite a bit if direct and diffuse mine water outflow in the gaunless. Iron is often many, many times higher than I should be. The valley is criss-crossed with shallow mines which they stopped pumping in the 70's and its been a problem ever since.

Iron rich mine water is easy to see. It's a rich reddish ochre colour. Seen it hundreds of times but never seen it look like raw sewage.

lax0341

Reaction score
I live in an area with a lot of former open pit mining around. A lot of the rivers here looks like this in the spring.
It‘s from the iron and other negative legacy of the former mining.

D

Deleted member 21851

The early season tinge for a few miles below jocks bridge for much of this spring has I believe been due to the gaunless colour. Lower down and especially above jocks bridge, the river has been crystal clear so far this spring.

D

Deleted member 21851

I live in an area with a lot of former open pit mining around. A lot of the rivers here looks like this in the spring.
It‘s from the iron and other negative legacy of the former mining.
I am pretty sure there are no open mines. Shallow in our part of the world means not the deep mines which extend km out into the north sea.
I've seen mine water outflows all over the Wear catchment but never seen one running this colour before.

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score

Not now mate, I live right there and it's all farm land river is a mess, floods VERY regularly and the open farm land just washes straight into the water course

lax0341

Reaction score
I am pretty sure there are no open mines. Shallow in our part of the world means not the deep mines which extend km out into the north sea.
I've seen mine water outflows all over the Wear catchment but never seen one running this colour before.
No , there were a lot of open pit mines for brown coal mining . Most of them were closed after the reunification and are lakes today.
Around my hometown there are 11 man made lakes now.
But the river Pleiße runs still in that colour and even more brownish sometimes.

D

Deleted member 21851

No , there were a lot of open pit mines for brown coal mining . Most of them were closed after the reunification and are lakes today.
Around my hometown there are 11 man made lakes now.
But the river Pleiße runs still in that colour and even more brownish sometimes.
I think we are on cross purposes here...I don't doubt you on your part of the world and open cast mines etc.

dave1959

Reaction score
View attachment 60713
I used to see that colour in the Wear behind the water works at Vinovium John. It always smelt of sewage, but the smell may have came from the water works itself.

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
I used to see that colour in the Wear behind the water works at Vinovium John. It always smelt of sewage, but the smell may have came from the water works itself.
Aye, I've seen it in very low water, but have been there in many spates and the STW have been working perfectly, a nice family of trout there too 👍

Smoggy

Reaction score
View attachment 60713
This is the colour of road washings i/e surface water form roads being washed directly into the Wear also!

harryklaus

Reaction score
The Gaunless has had that grey colour to it for as long as I can remember (20 years or so). That and Vinovium sewerage works seem to me to be having more of an effect on the colour of the Wear in the last few years than they used to. I'm sure the grey tinge from the sewerage used to have dissipated no more than a few hundred yards after the outflow, but now the Wear is grey for miles downstream. I might be looking back with rose tinted glasses but I'm sure the Wear used to run a lot clearer. Pools that used to be crystal clear between Vinovium and Newfield, for example, now carry that grey tint as soon as the water drops towards summer level. Or at least that's what it looks like to me!