River wear 2021

Scierra

Reaction score
Rain from the east very rarely does owt for the river.Need some warm westerlies to bring some heavy stuff.

A low pressure coming in from the East drops twice as much rain on the East Pennines, and it peters out when it tracks over to the West Pennines.
Visa versa a low pressure tracking in from the West moving Eastwards, Reason why the South Tyne gets twice as many spates as the Wear .
Low pressures from the West rattle through Eastwards on the jet-stream, Only when they are slow tracking Eastwards the Wear gets it share of rainfall .

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
Evening all
New to the forum and only going into my second season on the wear so still trying to find my way round
Fished Ferryhill farm pool down croxdale on Thursday, seen two fish top one around 3-4lb and the second around 6-7lb
Nice to see after a long winter
Salmon? Seatrout?

Andrew B

Reaction score
T&S reports for North East rivers all mentioned that over ten thousand sea trout were reported by nets last year? And how many more unreported eh😡
I’ve never been against nets but that’s gotta be too much given the odds these fish face now.

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
T&S reports for North East rivers all mentioned that over ten thousand sea trout were reported by nets last year? And how many more unreported eh😡
I’ve never been against nets but that’s gotta be too much given the odds these fish face now.
Aye, I seen that 10k from District 1 I think I read? .....I though the nets were off mate?

Auldghillie

Reaction score
Effectively, Berwick to Souter Point, I think

The rationale for the longer season in Yorkshire is that they catch few salmon and the changes to the netting were aimed mainly at protecting salmon.
Possibly more like protecting Tory votes In 4 marginal seats.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Aye, I seen that 10k from District 1 I think I read? .....I though the nets were off mate?

Me too.
Obviously they aren’t fixed nets like those that were at Montrose, but I’m presuming they are nets from boats.
I’ve mentioned on the Ribble thread how cheap it is to buy a whole sea trout now from a fish van on the West Coast and with the massive drop in sea trout numbers on all the West Coast rivers I find it incredulous as it’s no longer a luxury food item.

Auldghillie

Reaction score
Me too.
Obviously they aren’t fixed nets like those that were at Montrose, but I’m presuming they are nets from boats.
I’ve mentioned on the Ribble thread how cheap it is to buy a whole sea trout now from a fish van on the West Coast and with the massive drop in sea trout numbers on all the West Coast rivers I find it incredulous as it’s no longer a luxury food item.
No, like Montrose but not permanent. Ie not fixed stakes but anchors. They must be taken out overnight so I suppose temporarily fixed. The term is fixed engines I think. The boat is used to take the fish from the traps with a net or out of the mesh if no trap: such as in Yorks Nets. They could be unmanned to allow men to pot etc ( not use a potty ) this is now banned. AG