River wear 2021

X—rap

Reaction score
That is serious concerted effort from authorities to change things, and it works.
There is no will to do that on UK rivers.

This is the same EA that licenses privately owned businesses to pollute our rivers. The same EA who spend millions on fish passes without an extra 100k or so for a fish counter to prove whether the fish pass actually works or not. Its all dead effort, easily spent money, seen to be "doing something" stuff with no real thought about looking after rivers.

I know a pool which we renamed "sh1tbag pool" from the sheer number of dog sh1t bags in it.

Last season a member on here, I think LGraydon, saw folk dumping Black bin bags off a bridge. A day or so later my brother pulled a bin bag out full of marijuana plant stalks.

Lockdown hasn't helped either. Every time I drive down a road near my town, new bin bags, tyre dumps, fridges, washing machines etc appear on the road side. It's become a routine where I spend 5 minutes reporting it to the council when I get home.

Anyway, enough of the doom and gloom. Anyone out fishing this weekend? Gotta be a decent chance of a springer below Durham???
Been out below finchale on chesters water early this morning,water was clearing quickly but still loomed ok ,touched nowt but i felt confident fishing through some of the pools but was nice being out

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
Been out below finchale on chesters water early this morning,water was clearing quickly but still loomed ok ,touched nowt but i felt confident fishing through some of the pools but was nice being out
Had a few hours on Bishops water at holywell, seen a few brownies feeding off the top, was talking to a couple lads who were nymphing on the ferryhill water side they said they saw a big fish splash out the water at Sunderland Bridge but weren't sure what it was, nice to get out mind, water was dropping and clearing and my casting was absolutely shocking 👍🤣🎣

Bushwhacker

Reaction score
That is serious concerted effort from authorities to change things, and it works.
There is no will to do that on UK rivers.

This is the same EA that licenses privately owned businesses to pollute our rivers. The same EA who spend millions on fish passes without an extra 100k or so for a fish counter to prove whether the fish pass actually works or not. Its all dead effort, easily spent money, seen to be "doing something" stuff with no real thought about looking after rivers.

I know a pool which we renamed "sh1tbag pool" from the sheer number of dog sh1t bags in it.

Last season a member on here, I think LGraydon, saw folk dumping Black bin bags off a bridge. A day or so later my brother pulled a bin bag out full of marijuana plant stalks.

Lockdown hasn't helped either. Every time I drive down a road near my town, new bin bags, tyre dumps, fridges, washing machines etc appear on the road side. It's become a routine where I spend 5 minutes reporting it to the council when I get home.

Anyway, enough of the doom and gloom. Anyone out fishing this weekend? Gotta be a decent chance of a springer below Durham???
The dog crap bags are one of my pet hates.I,v seen loads dumped anywhere but in bins.A few year back i was following a woman dog walker up the riverside path at Fatfield.She picked her dogs crap up then just ten yard further up she threw the bag into the grass. I picked it up and caught up to her and told her she had dropped something ,showing her the bag.She flatly refused to admit she had dumped it.
The stupid thing is they put crap that would take a week or two to degrade into a bag that takes 500 years to degrade....

X—rap

Reaction score
Had a few hours on Bishops water at holywell, seen a few brownies feeding off the top, was talking to a couple lads who were nymphing on the ferryhill water side they said they saw a big fish splash out the water at Sunderland Bridge but weren't sure what it was, nice to get out mind, water was dropping and clearing and my casting was absolutely shocking 👍🤣🎣
Remember many years ago a m8 caught a brand new seatrout of 9lb below Sunderland bridge in early April

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
Maybe that's what is was x-rap, another big flood and we should have half a chance of something up on BADAC 🎣👍

Daventus

Reaction score
Was ment to be fishing the Eden today,but didn’t feel to good so decided not to go.Got to about 11.30 and as car was packed decided to head to the Wear.Loads of people about(not fishing).Water was to low but decided to give it a go.Get into water and started,family stopped to watch next thing I know there’s a kid wading around in the water behind me lucky not to get hooked.When I tell kid to watch they don’t get hooked mother starts bellowing at the kid and storms off.Then dog walkers come by and start hurling sticks in for dogs right in front of you.
I know it’s bank holiday and weather was warm but this is the reason I rarely fish the Wear.
I hate Durhamer’s feckin ****ers 👍

X—rap

Reaction score
Ever see much in the way of rising trout down there X-rap?
Didn’t see a thing but have caught some decent trout down there on the raps 😀

Attachments

• 4BFE104E-9EB7-4EED-AC15-26B1897129D1.jpeg
    4BFE104E-9EB7-4EED-AC15-26B1897129D1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 41

Mick_G

Reaction score
I see that TAS has lost the Low Grange farm fishings, but has taken back the Union Hall farm stretch on the opposite bank.
Are you familiar with the beat they’ve taken on again? Sounds like theres quite a bit more to go at now, I only managed a quick look at the low grange farm beat last year when the river was in flood so not familiar with the lower beat.

cheers
Mick

Ged

Reaction score
Are you familiar with the beat they’ve taken on again? Sounds like theres quite a bit more to go at now, I only managed a quick look at the low grange farm beat last year when the river was in flood so not familiar with the lower beat.

cheers
Mick
No, I have never fished it. Quite a hike I believe and looking from the Low Grange bank I think access to the river might be a problem in one or two areas. Probably a good bet for an afternoon walk to sus it out.

Walleye

Reaction score
No, I have never fished it. Quite a hike I believe and looking from the Low Grange bank I think access to the river might be a problem in one or two areas. Probably a good bet for an afternoon walk to sus it out.
It's been a while since I fished it....
The beat is split in two for me....
If you look at Google Earth at the end of the meadow stretch on the south bank, on the north bank there is a turning circle for the tractor rides on the kids activity farm. That bit at the tail end of that pool is worth fishing. The pool below it has some deep runs in it, looks very interesting. There are a couple more pools below there down to the end of the beat at the bridge which look tasty. From the tractor turning circle down to the bridge there is a farm track most of of way so access is fairly easy. I fished it in the summer and tried to head back to the farm from the bridge but found it impossible as it was so overgrown so had to backtrack.
Upstream from the tractor turning circle to the viaduct was a nightmare in terms of access in the summer. I'd forget about that section tbh, totally overgrown and when I fished it from the opposite bank, there looked like very little access at any of the few good spots.

Mick_G

Reaction score
Some good info there walleye, cheers!

I like an adventure when I’m out, I really enjoy struggling to fish little bits and pieces that few people bother with so it sounds interesting to me!

Worth a look from now onwards or wait until may do you think?

regards
Mick

Walleye

Reaction score
Some good info there walleye, cheers!

I like an adventure when I’m out, I really enjoy struggling to fish little bits and pieces that few people bother with so it sounds interesting to me!

Worth a look from now onwards or wait until may do you think?

regards
Mick
Hi Mick,
I think the general consensus is that from the viaduct down to meadow needs the right water. From the tractor turning circle down to the bridge...I'm not so sure. It looks good holding water but for any low river beat, I guess May is always better than April.
Whether April is worth an outing...you have zero chance sitting at home wishing you were out on the river.

Mick_G

Reaction score
Hi Mick,
I think the general consensus is that from the viaduct down to meadow needs the right water. From the tractor turning circle down to the bridge...I'm not so sure. It looks good holding water but for any low river beat, I guess May is always better than April.
Whether April is worth an outing...you have zero chance sitting at home wishing you were out on the river.
I’m very rarely sat in the house, usually wasting my time looking for a needle in a haystack on the Tyne 😂

cheers
Mick