River wear 2021

Daventus

Reaction score
Some people come on here just to write negative stuff about the river, decline etc.....but post absolutely nothing about there fishing experiences over the season or have any normal input into the thread, if you're one of them reading this please share you're input instead of logging in once in a blue moon to write negative **** about how little fish has been seen etc etc, bore the **** off you negative ****s
Just you wait lad.In twenty years time it will be like a repeat.You’ll be writing,When I was a lad the river’s teemed with fish etc etc etc.😆😆😆😆😆

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
Just you wait lad.In twenty years time it will be like a repeat.You’ll be writing,When I was a lad the river’s teemed with fish etc etc etc.😆😆😆😆😆
It's unbelievable mate hear nothing from some folk for months and when you do it's ALL negative, we all understand its going threw a decline etc, but at least share some experience of youre days fishing for God's sake.

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
The drift nets are not on now,they stopped in 2019.There is still a T net off the mouth of the Tyne to the South of Shields pier.
I had a few hours at Durham this morning.Perfect water but nee fash....
Hope the levels keeps up our way till end of the week 👍

Walleye

Reaction score
One of numerous channels dug out or "maintained" every year by farmers. This is Page Bank Beck. If you look closely in the distance, the farmer has also been ripping out trees which were close to the beck. Bit naughty.

The main river is 15 yards behind me. This channel just spews out silt all year long. There is a sandbank right where the beck enters the river.

I've seen sea trout splashing around the entry to this beck. I am sure some sea trout at least attempt to spawn in there but there is no chance of success where the beck flows through the farmers fields.
Screenshot_20210330-160240_Photos.jpg

Andrew B

Reaction score
Drainage ditches are such a scourge on the land and for rivers. Talking to some of the old brigade who know their stuff, they said it’s these ditches that cause the fast fluctuating levels on a flood?

Rrrr

Reaction score
The drift nets are not on now,they stopped in 2019.There is still a T net off the mouth of the Tyne to the South of Shields pier.
I had a few hours at Durham this morning.Perfect water but nee fash....
Wonder if the other t net down towards frenchmans bay will bother. The guy who shoots his net along shields pier cant miss really so i rekon he will be fishing.
The general feeling seems to be that most of the northumberland nets may not bother this year.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Richardgw

Reaction score
One of numerous channels dug out or "maintained" every year by farmers. This is Page Bank Beck. If you look closely in the distance, the farmer has also been ripping out trees which were close to the beck. Bit naughty.

The main river is 15 yards behind me. This channel just spews out silt all year long. There is a sandbank right where the beck enters the river.

I've seen sea trout splashing around the entry to this beck. I am sure some sea trout at least attempt to spawn in there but there is no chance of success where the beck flows through the farmers fields.
View attachment 59187
If this is a natural beck have you reported this to the EA with this photographic evidence? Without this and their lack of field staff if we don't them they will never know and therefore will be unable to take any action?

We had a similar action down here on a Wye tributary (SSSI to boot) and with all the evidence presented they had no choice to act although it is not yet the end of the story.

X—rap

Reaction score
river looked canny today ,still a good tinge of colour in the deeper pools ,think I’ll have a few hours in the morning,anyone know of any more fish caught after bushwackers ? Only heard of 2 so far

greenlaner2009

Reaction score
river looked canny today ,still a good tinge of colour in the deeper pools ,think I’ll have a few hours in the morning,anyone know of any more fish caught after bushwackers ? Only heard of 2 so far
Were both of the fish you have heard of caught on the free stretch.

Walleye

Reaction score
If this is a natural beck have you reported this to the EA with this photographic evidence? Without this and their lack of field staff if we don't them they will never know and therefore will be unable to take any action?

We had a similar action down here on a Wye tributary (SSSI to boot) and with all the evidence presented they had no choice to act although it is not yet the end of the story.
Yes and no, nothing is ever done. To my right in the photo is a farmers dump into the river. Its really obvious. I haven't reported it because I know some people who have and the dump continues to this day with more and more going into the river if anything.

The thing is, if there was feet on the ground at any time during the year and if they just did basic observation and inspections, they would catch 98% of this themselves and discourage much of it from happening again. It's easy to spot, simply walk around with eyes open.

Further up river, there is an illegal landfill site on a farm where loads of stuff goes in without a care. It's so obvious to see, it lies on a hillside and you can see it easily from the footpath next to the river half a mile away. EA visited and couldn't find it.

Further upstream another farmer who also has a building business, got rid of all his builders waste (disposal of which is about £50 per tonne) by building up a "flood defence" against the river bank where the river never floods into his fields. EA informed, nothing done.

I think it was 2017 new legislation was brought in for English riparian owners. There was 1 years grace period where EA would not prosecute but would "educate" the farming community. 3 years have passed since then and I bet there are very very few, if any, cases going through to prosecution. There is no will to actually prosecute (it costs money and time) so the legislation is useless. Then the farming community are alienated by the EA and the new legislation when the EA should be working as partners with farmers to protect the environment. All farmers are part of the solution. All any farmer is doing is what they have been allowed to do for several generations.

Richardgw

Reaction score
Yes and no, nothing is ever done. To my right in the photo is a farmers dump into the river. Its really obvious. I haven't reported it because I know some people who have and the dump continues to this day with more and more going into the river if anything.

The thing is, if there was feet on the ground at any time during the year and if they just did basic observation and inspections, they would catch 98% of this themselves and discourage much of it from happening again. It's easy to spot, simply walk around with eyes open.

Further up river, there is an illegal landfill site on a farm where loads of stuff goes in without a care. It's so obvious to see, it lies on a hillside and you can see it easily from the footpath next to the river half a mile away. EA visited and couldn't find it.

Further upstream another farmer who also has a building business, got rid of all his builders waste (disposal of which is about £50 per tonne) by building up a "flood defence" against the river bank where the river never floods into his fields. EA informed, nothing done.

I think it was 2017 new legislation was brought in for English riparian owners. There was 1 years grace period where EA would not prosecute but would "educate" the farming community. 3 years have passed since then and I bet there are very very few, if any, cases going through to prosecution. There is no will to actually prosecute (it costs money and time) so the legislation is useless. Then the farming community are alienated by the EA and the new legislation when the EA should be working as partners with farmers to protect the environment. All farmers are part of the solution. All any farmer is doing is what they have been allowed to do for several generations.
So every one just closes their eyes and pretends nothing is happening and the river continues to deteriorate.

We have problems down here on the Wye but everyone is joining forces for action. There is even an outstanding legal action supported by Fish Legal against the NRW (Welsh equivalent of EA) for failure to carry out their legal duties to protect the river and the environment against excessively high phosphate levels.

Walleye

Reaction score
So every one just closes their eyes and pretends nothing is happening and the river continues to deteriorate.

We have problems down here on the Wye but everyone is joining forces for action. There is even an outstanding legal action supported by Fish Legal against the NRW (Welsh equivalent of EA) for failure to carry out their legal duties to protect the river and the environment against excessively high phosphate levels.

Not everyone closes their eyes. It's a different place. The dumping / flytipping culture is embedded over several generations. The local saying is "send it to Sunderland". Every farm has a dump on its land to save money on disposing of rubbish properly. We once cut open a dumpy bag to reveal it filled with around a hundred neatly folded feed bags. The dumpy bag was dumped juat a few yards from the river bank, because the floods would eventually take it away to Sunderland. If a farm is next to the river, the dump is the river bank. Businesses who throw old desks into the river 50 yards away.
There are individuals (not me) who do a huge amount to clean up the river and make it better for everyone. There is a rivers trust. There is a lot of work done by clubs on clean up days. But for the most part it is cleaning up and if that stops it will be back to square one. I've reported things ranging from beck digging to farmers dumps to kennels dumping their bags full of dog **** laden kennel saw dust into the river. I like to plant trees where they are needed and occasionally help out my brother who is amazing at doing what he does.
From Bishop downover, he tells me, its pretty much a losing battle unless something big happens to change how WE treat the river and our environment.

The EA has the power to educate and change cultures, and prosecute where necessary. I just don't see much happening. Maybe it is and someone from the EA reading this can put me right.

lax0341

Reaction score
It is possible to do anything in this direction. On the river Elbe the officials have declared the riverbanks as sites of special interest and rose the fines for illegal dumping etc. much. The water-police is patrolling to control this 24/7.
The disadvantage for us anglers is, that you have to walk relatively long ways to the river banks nowadays because parking near the river is also forbidden now on most places. But this management works. The Elbe is much cleaner now, the dumping went down and the
salmon and seatrout are coming back step by step. But it‘s still a long way to go and not without setbacks.

Last edited:

Walleye

Reaction score
It is possible to do anything in this direction. On the river Elbe the officials have declared the riverbanks of sites of special interest and rose the fines for illegal dumping etc. much. The water-police ist patrolling to control this 24/7.
The disadvantage for us anglers is, that you have to walk relatively long ways to the river banks now because parking near the river is also forbidden now on most places. But this management works. The Elbe is much cleaner now, the dumping went down and the
salmon and seatrout are coming back step by step. But it‘s still a long way to go and not without setbacks.
That is serious concerted effort from authorities to change things, and it works.
There is no will to do that on UK rivers.

This is the same EA that licenses privately owned businesses to pollute our rivers. The same EA who spend millions on fish passes without an extra 100k or so for a fish counter to prove whether the fish pass actually works or not. Its all dead effort, easily spent money, seen to be "doing something" stuff with no real thought about looking after rivers.

I know a pool which we renamed "sh1tbag pool" from the sheer number of dog sh1t bags in it.

Last season a member on here, I think LGraydon, saw folk dumping Black bin bags off a bridge. A day or so later my brother pulled a bin bag out full of marijuana plant stalks.

Lockdown hasn't helped either. Every time I drive down a road near my town, new bin bags, tyre dumps, fridges, washing machines etc appear on the road side. It's become a routine where I spend 5 minutes reporting it to the council when I get home.

Anyway, enough of the doom and gloom. Anyone out fishing this weekend? Gotta be a decent chance of a springer below Durham???