River wear 2021

Bushwhacker

Reaction score
The lack of fly life is far more troubling. No food, no fish.
The fly hatches disappeared around 15 years back.No Olives,Blue duns or summer Sedge now.
There used to be fantastic hatches of Olives and Blue duns from mid March right through till mid May.And the summer evening Sedge hatches were also big at times.
Its not just at Durham.All the way down to Finchale (and probably below)is like this now.

offshore

Reaction score
The fly hatches disappeared around 15 years back.No Olives,Blue duns or summer Sedge now.
There used to be fantastic hatches of Olives and Blue duns from mid March right through till mid May.And the summer evening Sedge hatches were also big at times.
Its not just at Durham.All the way down to Finchale (and probably below)is like this now.
Watched a short presentation at the British Fly Fair International (Staffs showground) a couple of years ago, about the decline in blue winged olives and the link to sediment and phosphates acting on their eggs. I think this is a fairly recent discovery (?) - I am not a keen trout fisherman , so not something I have researched. Lots of stuff on the internet now:

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
What are the fly hatches like upstream? Are there any STW? Wonder if the even "slight" pollution downstream is enough 🤔

NEbody

Reaction score
Whatever is causing the decline in fly hatches, I’m pretty certain it’s not phosphate. The Wear was one of the first rivers in the country to get phosphate removal at all the biggest sewage works and phosphate concentrations in the river are a lot lower than they were 20-odd years ago.

There seem to be fewer flies hatching on the Coquet as well and that’s never had a significant issue with phosphate.

seeking

Reaction score
Yorkshire (werethereagodit'dbegod'sowncountry)
Agreed, the phosphate level of the Wear is well below that of my local, where (unlike in the vid) the ranunculus is rampant.

Synchems is where it's at, presumably. Ever increasing, especially in the post-CV19 world where they're encouraged to be sprayed around willy nilly with no regard for watercourses. And hard to monitor. And even harder for the powers that be to do anything about.

CWAngling

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone help me please? I’m a member of cdac but fancy tidal pool fishing during low water periods. I like the look of the Victoria viaduct area. Is this controlled by a club or open to fish long as you have your EA? Also, any of it good fly water on a falling tide? Thanks in advance. Chris 👍

Last edited:

dave1959

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone help me please? I’m a member of cdac but fancy tidal pool fishing during low water periods. I like the look of the Victoria viaduct area. Is this controlled by a club or open to fish long as you have your EA? Also, any of it good fly water on a falling tide? Thanks in advance. Chris 👍
Looking at Chesters maps i would say no. Washington and Harraton AC have tidal water around that area though.

CWAngling

Reaction score
O
Looking at Chesters maps i would say no. Washington and Harraton AC have tidal water around that area though.
Thanks Dave. I was aware that Chester’s didn’t have that water but couldn’t find any information about who has water around the Victoria viaduct area. I’ll check out the Washington ac website. Appreciate it. 👍

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
Some people come on here just to write negative stuff about the river, decline etc.....but post absolutely nothing about there fishing experiences over the season or have any normal input into the thread, if you're one of them reading this please share you're input instead of logging in once in a blue moon to write negative **** about how little fish has been seen etc etc, bore the **** off you negative ****s

dave1959

Reaction score
There‘s a loss of insects all over Europe between 65 and 80 percent in the last 20years. :(
One major cause for me is the motorist, and we are all to blame i'm afraid. Twenty years ago i could drive to Whitby and the wind screen was covered in dead insects, but drive there now and i dont have to use my washer. I drove around Wales on holiday a rural area for 5 years on the trot and i didnt have to use my washer once. You would think insects didnt exist in Wales.

lax0341

Reaction score
One major cause for me is the motorist, and we are all to blame i'm afraid. Twenty years ago i could drive to Whitby and the wind screen was covered in dead insects, but drive there now and i dont have to use my washer. I drove around Wales on holiday a rural area for 5 years on the trot and i didnt have to use my washer once. You would think insects didnt exist in Wales.
It‘s been the same all over Germany over the years. But I think the trend has turned a bit 2-3 years ago.
I feel now that they are recovering very slowly.

Last edited:

dave1959

Reaction score
It‘s been the same all over Germany over the years. But I think the trend has turned a bit 2-3 years ago.
I feel that they are recovering very slowly.
Hope so. Im starting to grow more flowers etc to try and give something back. Last year i saw my first Hummingbird Moth in the garden. I literally thought it was an actual hummingbird. Hope it comes back this year.

GeeBee

Reaction score
Spot on about the trees. Better off left where they are imo. It's not just for cover, they slow down flows, prevent flooding downstream, create pools and riffles, gravel banks etc etc...

Yep. its a pretty good argument for beavers to be reintroduced on rivers.