River wear 2021

Scierra

Reaction score
Here is a vid the fish.
Don't laugh at the cock up when i land it the first time.
Well done, nice fish (y)Adrenaline was on a high there with you , but that's what its all about (y)
Maybe if you carried a landing net , the fish could of been landed much earlier and prevent the fish swimming away , also when the fish is in the net it frees up both hands to unhook it,
Just as well you got hold of your Vision Catapult 12ft rod when the fish made its last bid to freedom, I have witnessed a rod disappear without trace in the past .

Bushwhacker

Reaction score
Well done, nice fish (y)Adrenaline was on a high there with you , but that's what its all about (y)
Maybe if you carried a landing net , the fish could of been landed much earlier and prevent the fish swimming away , also when the fish is in the net it frees up both hands to unhook it,
Just as well you got hold of your Vision Catapult 12ft rod when the fish made its last bid to freedom, I have witnessed a rod disappear without trace in the past .
I,v never used a net for years mate.Its nowt but bother getting it caught up in the undergrowth on the bank,plus i have a rucksack on my back.
That fish was the first to do that to me in all the years i,v fished.

Bushwhacker

Reaction score
Here is some underwater footage of the Willow pool at Durham that i took in mid April last year when the river was at summer level.I had the camera on a six foot pole,it shows how deep this pool is.
Anyone else notice the distinct lack of fish apart from what looks like a small Seatrout in the background.No Parr or owt.
This pool used to be full of Chub Barbel and Trout.

Daventus

Reaction score
Here is some underwater footage of the Willow pool at Durham that i took in mid April last year when the river was at summer level.I had the camera on a six foot pole,it shows how deep this pool is.
Anyone else notice the distinct lack of fish apart from what looks like a small Seatrout in the background.No Parr or owt.
This pool used to be full of Chub Barbel and Trout.

No sanitary towels either 😆😆😆😆

dave1959

Reaction score
Minnows seem to survive any where, even were they are febs, but if there are problems on certain areas of the Wear, well its opened my eyes. I always thought minnow were indestructible., but obviously not. One lad on here said there were loads of minnows on Chesters beats which you would have thought febs would have battered. Oh well, no minnow fishing for me this year then.

greenlaner2009

Reaction score
Absolutely been obliterated with predation...Im sure someone will be along shortly to say everything's just fine and were imagining;) that it used to be alive with fish stocks
The only legal option available to anglers is the installation of woody debris shelters for the small fish, I don't know of any landowners or angling clubs on any stretches of the river wear who have done anything, So I can only assume that no one is really that bothered about the situation. What I've experienced of river wear anglers is as soon as a Bush or branch over hangs the river they want it cut off, if a tree falls in they want it pulled straight out.

Walleye

Reaction score
The only legal option available to anglers is the installation of woody debris shelters for the small fish, I don't know of any landowners or angling clubs on any stretches of the river wear who have done anything, So I can only assume that no one is really that bothered about the situation. What I've experienced of river wear anglers is as soon as a Bush or branch over hangs the river they want it cut off, if a tree falls in they want it pulled straight out.
Spot on about the trees. Better off left where they are imo. It's not just for cover, they slow down flows, prevent flooding downstream, create pools and riffles, gravel banks etc etc...

Bushwhacker

Reaction score
Can you remember the bird brained idea of the plastic hedgehogs that were anchored with house bricks that the EA tried on the cathedral stretch at Durham?.They were supposed to be where small fish could hide from the birds.More like feeding stations for them.
I,v watched Cormorants go through really heavy undergrowth in the river after fish,and these cock ups were supposed to protect them.And the bricks were supposed to stop them being swept away ffs.