River Wear 2020

davidelemes888.

Reaction score
If Chester le street members weren't aware, seems that adult renewal fee for 2021 is only £50.
Joined the club last year, big learning curve and great help from the members to get me going
the renewal fee is for disabled also you have to be in the club 10 years.

Lynnzer

Reaction score
Sounds like a good deal that I might just take up.
I'm just getting started myself and only last week I joined Durham City Angling Club for a mere £42 as a disabled blue badge holder. It's going to be added to when the season picks up so BADAC stands in line as well as I was from St Helens in my teens and love the stretches it has.

I've been throwing mepps into the Sands free stretch at Durham over the last couple of weeks and there's no sign of life at all there. Apart from a shoal of fry of unbeknown species there wasn't a thing moving. No fly life or anything.

Someone could have made £250 from You've Been Framed if they had been videoing my movements down the bottom of the Sands. The recent flood has undercut the banks in some places and one gave way on me and I went ass over heels down the bank and into the water, chest first so I was soaked to the skin on my arms and chest. Be wary as there will be similar bank erosion elsewhere.

Now, about DCAC. Their website is a bloody shambles. It's about as informative as chewed magazine.
The images of the stretches shown are so small it's impossible almost to make out where the riverside beats are. For instance at Croxdale, the very place that drew me to joining the club in the 1st place I can't for the life of me see any details of the fishing rights between the 2 bridges that look very good salmon and sea trout pool areas.
I was over there last Thursday and fished on the right bank (south) but again not a movement of anything on the water except for a heron that buggered off without any apparent takes in the hour I was there.

So if anyone can point me to what the DCAC interests are at that spot I'd be grateful. There isn't even an email address for members on the website and it lacks a members area for discussion as far as I can see. It needs a really good rebuild.

Walleye

Reaction score
Sounds like a good deal that I might just take up.
I'm just getting started myself and only last week I joined Durham City Angling Club for a mere £42 as a disabled blue badge holder. It's going to be added to when the season picks up so BADAC stands in line as well as I was from St Helens in my teens and love the stretches it has.

I've been throwing mepps into the Sands free stretch at Durham over the last couple of weeks and there's no sign of life at all there. Apart from a shoal of fry of unbeknown species there wasn't a thing moving. No fly life or anything.

Someone could have made £250 from You've Been Framed if they had been videoing my movements down the bottom of the Sands. The recent flood has undercut the banks in some places and one gave way on me and I went ass over heels down the bank and into the water, chest first so I was soaked to the skin on my arms and chest. Be wary as there will be similar bank erosion elsewhere.

Now, about DCAC. Their website is a bloody shambles. It's about as informative as chewed magazine.
The images of the stretches shown are so small it's impossible almost to make out where the riverside beats are. For instance at Croxdale, the very place that drew me to joining the club in the 1st place I can't for the life of me see any details of the fishing rights between the 2 bridges that look very good salmon and sea trout pool areas.
I was over there last Thursday and fished on the right bank (south) but again not a movement of anything on the water except for a heron that buggered off without any apparent takes in the hour I was there.

So if anyone can point me to what the DCAC interests are at that spot I'd be grateful. There isn't even an email address for members on the website and it lacks a members area for discussion as far as I can see. It needs a really good rebuild.
This is Ferryham beat you refer to...
Screenshot_20210406-064644_Opera Touch.jpg

The main river flows bottom left from the railway viaduct to top right to the confluence of the river Browney. You can fish the left bank from the viaduct to the confluence, aside from the small section between Sunderland Bridge and the A167 Bridge.
You can also fish the right bank of the Browney as shown in the map although I have never fished it.

Lynnzer

Reaction score
Yeah I saw that from their website but it's so small as to be misleading.
I can clearly see the thick red line on the left bank but there's also a thinner red line opposite. As the map lines look as though they are hand drawn it seems possible that line thickness could vary. So misleading.

So who has the rights to the south right bank there? And if no-one has agreed right of fishing from whoever can authorise it, ie the landowner, I assume that wading in midriver would be an inarguable right of anyone with rights to fish the left bank?

Dalnashaugh

Reaction score
This is Ferryham beat you refer to...
View attachment 59586
The main river flows bottom left from the railway viaduct to top right to the confluence of the river Browney. You can fish the left bank from the viaduct to the confluence, aside from the small section between Sunderland Bridge and the A167 Bridge.
You can also fish the right bank of the Browney as shown in the map although I have never fished it.
Hi - Unfortunatley, this stretch is no longer available to members of the 3 clubs that shared the rent ( Ferryhill, Durham City and Stockton Angling ). They didnt renew the lease a couple of years ago as the Landlord wanted far too much money. Last I heard he was trying to find someone else to take the fishing over.

Geoff

Lynnzer

Reaction score
Hi - Unfortunatley, this stretch is no longer available to members of the 3 clubs that shared the rent ( Ferryhill, Durham City and Stockton Angling ). They didnt renew the lease a couple of years ago as the Landlord wanted far too much money. Last I heard he was trying to find someone else to take the fishing over.

Geoff
You mean the whole of that stretch, both banks?
I've just been down there again today and walked the full stretch from the old road bridge to the Browney to see what it looks like. There are a few likely trout areas but in the main apart from the pools at the bottom of the road bridges it looks more sort of coarse fish water. Slow and deepish.
I didn't get my rod out though as it started snowing like hell.

The Browney looks lifeless. Up from the confluence to the road it's mainly muddy or silt bottom, Very little water movement to aerate it and only a single stretch of about 3 mtrs of green weed growth in it.
On the Wear stretch, particularly around the bridges there are loads of otter footprints.

I did see evidence of fishing along the riverbanks though with v shaped sticks in the banks. They must be recent as the floodwater got a damn sight higher than the places where the rod rests had been placed.

Dalnashaugh

Reaction score
You mean the whole of that stretch, both banks?
I've just been down there again today and walked the full stretch from the old road bridge to the Browney to see what it looks like. There are a few likely trout areas but in the main apart from the pools at the bottom of the road bridges it looks more sort of coarse fish water. Slow and deepish.
I didn't get my rod out though as it started snowing like hell.

The Browney looks lifeless. Up from the confluence to the road it's mainly muddy or silt bottom, Very little water movement to aerate it and only a single stretch of about 3 mtrs of green weed growth in it.
On the Wear stretch, particularly around the bridges there are loads of otter footprints.

I did see evidence of fishing along the riverbanks though with v shaped sticks in the banks. They must be recent as the floodwater got a damn sight higher than the places where the rod rests had been placed.
Hi -- Ferryhill, Durham City and Stockton no longer rent any of the fishing shown on the plan in Walleye's post 1729 above. They only had the left bank (looking downstream) of the Wear.

Lynnzer

Reaction score
So my gripe about the $hite website that DCAC has is well justified.
What it shows is a stretch of water it offers as part of the membership that it no longer has rights for.
I'd call that deceptive marketing. What if I had been caught fishing there last week before I knew of this?

Come on DCAC. Surely someone on the club committee must be on forum to make a statement on this.
GET THE BLOODY WEBSITE SORTED OUT