River Wear 2020

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
Use guideline myself and love it, but a friend got that exact setup and I'm sure it snapped within 10mins of her first cast and she's no newbie. Maybe just a faulty one mate. But for the price looks great

Reactions: GOD

Rrrr

Reaction score
Use guideline myself and love it, but a friend got that exact setup and I'm sure it snapped within 10mins of her first cast and she's no newbie. Maybe just a faulty one mate. But for the price looks great
Could be a faulty one or i just got lucky with mine as mines had a ton of missuse and a few fish that have had it bent double with no issues.
I wouldnt say it was to the same standard as my guideline lpxe but then again it was a load cheaper and also alot more user friendly being a slower action than the lpxe.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
Could be a faulty one or i just got lucky with mine as mines had a ton of missuse and a few fish that have had it bent double with no issues.
I wouldnt say it was to the same standard as my guideline lpxe but then again it was a load cheaper and also alot more user friendly being a slower action than the lpxe.

I'm looking at a lpxe for next season for the wear 12ft 8/9. Lovely rods mate

Rrrr

Reaction score
I'm looking at a lpxe for next season for the wear 12ft 8/9. Lovely rods mate
Yea, they are nice to cast only slight issue i have with mine is that it can be slightly unforgiving if you are having an off day in terms of casting but when you are on the ball itl launch a line really well.

Also in the 12ft range if you know anyone with a hardy marksman 2s i would try and get a cast of it, its the only rod ive tried that i prefer to my lpxe. They can be hard to get hold of though.

Last edited:

Sperlash

Reaction score
From what I saw regarding fish numbers the counters are spot on.Odd day when a pod come past fishing was ok but on the whole pools were a glimpse of the past at best.The tyne was the same couldnt hold a candle in regards to ten years ago.
Will be catastrophic if any netting season limitations are reversed in my humble opinion
Would someone look and post up aug/sep/oct from 10 years ago and compare to now bet its interesting reading

C

cgaines10

From what I saw regarding fish numbers the counters are spot on.Odd day when a pod come past fishing was ok but on the whole pools were a glimpse of the past at best.The tyne was the same couldnt hold a candle in regards to ten years ago.
Will be catastrophic if any netting season limitations are reversed in my humble opinion
Would someone look and post up aug/sep/oct from 10 years ago and compare to now bet its interesting reading

August/ September/ October
1913 / 6431/ 3375

greenlaner2009

Reaction score
Numbers can be a misleading thing, fish counter numbers through the floor, but if we take a quick look at Bedburn estates water on fish pal the numbers are interesting 5 year average for salmon of 47.4, this season 117. The 5 year average for sea trout 21 this year 26. I do not know if these numbers include fish caught by the season lets on this beat either as i heard river bank tale that 3 old men who fish there very often had over 100 fish between them in the first 3 weeks of October.

Last edited:

Sperlash

Reaction score
I have records from one angler catching over 100 fish per year 10 years ago his catch now is roughly 25 % of that ,He fishes same pools and if anything is a much
better angler than before,,,Think these are the figures we need to focus on...Bedburn estates had 28 fishable days with bang on conditions this october with most members (18) plus visiting rods not coming up for air fishing most sessions.
Not playing down a good october but I know lads who fished it 25 years ago who caught 100+fish per rod!!!

Bushwhacker

Reaction score
Six years of drought conditions have done the river no good.
Many times the Tyne has had good flood water when the Wear was on its bones.
I think a lot of fish that were hanging around the river mouth for months on end have got a smell of Tyne flood water coming past and then run the Tyne.The river mouths are only a few miles apart.

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
All we can say is its a "small improvement" if thats what it takes to recover, so be it. let's hope (not getting my hopes up) no huge flooding turn of the year again

Stratocaster

Reaction score
over the years when i have watched the fish run at durham i would say two thirds if not more bypassed the fish counter.
I totally agree with you - years ago I emailed the EA, Niall Cooke I think, and I suggested to them that most of the fish when running simply cleared the wall and missed the counter. This was before the hydro screw was installed so there was only the one counter. The response was that they allow 10% and adjust the figures accordingly.

Sperlash

Reaction score
over the years when i have watched the fish run at durham i would say two thirds if not more bypassed the fish counter.
To use any formula is fine but all we have as the constant are the fish counts.If in theory two thirds bypassed as you say this would mean in the early 2000s that would have meant 60,000 fish !!! (very much doubt that) pro rata by the same calculation in 2020 there would be 15000..(again no chance).No matter either way as the numbers are guesses,all I know for sure is that I was informed that nothing spawned in terms of sea trout at all last year in the main river at stanhope for the first time in a riverwatchers lifetime and there hasnt been a run of fish up linburn at all this year....worrying first hand observations by trusted long standing genuine people with nothing to gain from telling lies

Stratocaster

Reaction score
To use any formula is fine but all we have as the constant are the fish counts.If in theory two thirds bypassed as you say this would mean in the early 2000s that would have meant 60,000 fish !!! (very much doubt that) pro rata by the same calculation in 2020 there would be 15000..(again no chance).No matter either way as the numbers are guesses,all I know for sure is that I was informed that nothing spawned in terms of sea trout at all last year in the main river at stanhope for the first time in a riverwatchers lifetime and there hasnt been a run of fish up linburn at all this year....worrying first hand observations by trusted long standing genuine people with nothing to gain from telling lies
But what if the fish counts are flawed? Looking at the historical published data from the EA and taking it all at face value then as you say it does look catastrophic. Yet you only have to go back a few pages on this forum and there are plenty of smiling faces displaying some cracking fish. Personally, I've had better seasons in the past but also a lot worse when the published figures through Framwellgate were a lot higher.
My worry is that the EA will take these figures at face value and may impose restrictions as they have already done so elsewhere.
I don't believe that over 60 000 fish went through Durham 20 years ago but I also don't believe that only 437 fish went through in October.