River Wear 2020

Walleye

Reaction score
Be very careful what everyone wishes for in terms of restrictions to angling on the Wear. Once the freedom we currently enjoy has gone, it definitely will not come back.
The summer / autumn run is cyclical. Should the autumn run come back after an October ban(the autumn run will return), we'd be watching tide fresh fish run through Durham every October with never a hope in hell to fish for them. Poachers heaven.
C&R will never be reversed. C&R is not a stock management tool, if it was there would be an ounce of logic behind it, it is a political / ecomentalist direction which will never be reversed.
If you looked at this thread, you'd think all fish in the upper river are black and gravid right now. The fact is they are not. The blackest fish I've seen on the Wear this season are those two from this thread. I've seen many photos of much cleaner fish, not tide fresh, but nowhere near as black as those fish, which makes their capture and death even more shameful.

So don't tar every fisherman and every fish with the same brush. Salmon fishing in October is fine along the whole river.

Kaney

Reaction score
Be very careful what everyone wishes for in terms of restrictions to angling on the Wear. Once the freedom we currently enjoy has gone, it definitely will not come back.
The summer / autumn run is cyclical. Should the autumn run come back after an October ban(the autumn run will return), we'd be watching tide fresh fish run through Durham every October with never a hope in hell to fish for them. Poachers heaven.
C&R will never be reversed. C&R is not a stock management tool, if it was there would be an ounce of logic behind it, it is a political / ecomentalist direction which will never be reversed.
If you looked at this thread, you'd think all fish in the upper river are black and gravid right now. The fact is they are not. The blackest fish I've seen on the Wear this season are those two from this thread. I've seen many photos of much cleaner fish, not tide fresh, but nowhere near as black as those fish, which makes their capture and death even more shameful.

So don't tar every fisherman and every fish with the same brush. Salmon fishing in October is fine along the whole river.
Couldn’t agree more it’s more about educating and showing people what’s acceptable to keep and what you should be returning but unfortunately some individuals won’t change . The cleanest fish I had last year was on the last day of the season at Page Bank. Most people carry a phone trophy fish quick photo return fish not rocket science

Attachments

• 76C16ECD-7F1C-4E32-997E-F5AB72434252.jpeg
    76C16ECD-7F1C-4E32-997E-F5AB72434252.jpeg
    412.1 KB · Views: 66

big albert

Reaction score
As I said before return all fish from september onwards.Giving people the option only leads to whats happened here.I mentioned previously about another lad bragging him and his brother caught 60 in a season [spawning ground area].When asked if returned i was told not to be stupid as if he didnt take them someone else would......We have no tide liced autumn run anymore so let us as sensible anglers protect the stocks,just listened to a podcast about the clyde and solway cod fisheries been wiped out by killing the breeders we are on course if were not carefull, The angler being interviewed still is the record shore caught cod holder and said QUOTE that he regretted his ways of killing but unfortunately too late and gone forever.
Wear been in decline for years in the dale 80s1990s large numbers of brown trout couldn't get near a sea trout for them You don't see them now in fairness the small aggressive feeding salmon par upper river poor state.Clubs should have built a hatchery like the tyne years ago.
Unfortunately a gravid fish is defined by if you apply gentle pressure to the fish it will spill milt or eggs, neither of them fish would do that, the best thing we could do to protect these fish is to close the angling season at the end of september.
aye once over a man caught brown trout like that in upper Weardale replaced by coarse fish daft chub

greenlaner2009

Reaction score
Wear been in decline for years in the dale 80s1990s large numbers of brown trout couldn't get near a sea trout for them You don't see them now in fairness the small aggressive feeding salmon par upper river poor state.Clubs should have built a hatchery like the tyne years ago.

aye once over a man caught brown trout like that in upper Weardale replaced by coarse fish daft chub
Thats because every club stocked brown trout

Walleye

Reaction score
You are probably right but the river still sustained them through the year. I used to fish mid-day hatches when the river would come alive with rising trout. And evening hatches where the difficult thing was spotting and fishing for the big trout. I could fish small back eddys where 5-10 fish to 18" are crusing around picking off the flies that congregate in the eddy.
I haven't seen a mid-day hatch for several years, and I night fish and rarely do I see anything but parr in the evening taking midges.
I heard once that the grey slime we see on the rocks during the summer on the middle river is from sewage pollution. The midges love it, nothing else does. When a river is like this the midges take over. If you get to the river early in the morning and you can see clouds of midges then you are too late, the trout are full up for the day. I catch more trout on tube flies and salmon flies than I can with trout flies.

big albert

Reaction score
Was a mistake interfering with nature those trout that were stocked ate everything in sight, what else could be expected fish nearly 2 pound only thing available to eat small fish.would have been better off introducing the juvenile fish that could breed.i know just some of the rivers problems.i had my eyes opened one of those birds swimming under overgrown bushes coming out with small fish 9 inch.
You are probably right but the river still sustained them through the year. I used to fish mid-day hatches when the river would come alive with rising trout. And evening hatches where the difficult thing was spotting and fishing for the big trout. I could fish small back eddys where 5-10 fish to 18" are crusing around picking off the flies that congregate in the eddy.
I haven't seen a mid-day hatch for several years, and I night fish and rarely do I see anything but parr in the evening taking midges.
I heard once that the grey slime we see on the rocks during the summer on the middle river is from sewage pollution. The midges love it, nothing else does. When a river is like this the midges take over. If you get to the river early in the morning and you can see clouds of midges then you are too late, the trout are full up for the day. I catch more trout on tube flies and salmon flies than I can with trout flies.
page bank and croxdale I used to watch fish taking fly. as a boy fishing Willington early 70s used to hear big splashes sea trout jumping we were amazed at odd massive dead fish laid by the side of the river.New field dam used to be a good spot to watch salmon sea trout don't know what its like now been 40 year since seen it

C

cgaines10

They accept the Tees fish counter is rubbish. Wear counters are better and shows long term trends better.

They know the Tees fish counter numbers are pants. They also know the Wear fish counter numbers are much better at indicating trends.

The Wear will eventually be C&R even though the EA know C&R can't help a river to recover.

Although the Tees numbers are low, the angling effort as such is much lower & therefore much less caught & even less killed. So the percentage figure which combines with the run figure prevents it from being an immediate C&R river, although with an increase of focus going into the Tees now this will likely change.

The Wear has a much larger run in comparison, but has been showing a downward trend for a while now. Coupled with amount of fish per season taken will likely lead to mandatory C&R. These videos and pictures just back up the EA ten fold. While it's not running in surplus can we afford to let this go on.

NEbody

Reaction score
Although the Tees numbers are low, the angling effort as such is much lower & therefore much less caught & even less killed. So the percentage figure which combines with the run figure prevents it from being an immediate C&R river, although with an increase of focus going into the Tees now this will likely change.

The Wear has a much larger run in comparison, but has been showing a downward trend for a while now. Coupled with amount of fish per season taken will likely lead to mandatory C&R. These videos and pictures just back up the EA ten fold. While it's not running in surplus can we afford to let this go on.

But will these people take any more notice of compulsory C&R than they do of peer pressure? i suspect they’ll keep doing what they’ve been doing for generations and the EA haven’t got the resources to police it heavily so will continue to rely mainly on people ‘doing the right thing’

Walleye

Reaction score

I dont think there is no surplus. If there isn't a surplus, we'll have to stop fishing anyway because the EA believe 10% of released fish die before spawning.
Careful what you wish for is all I'm saying.

C

cgaines10

But will these people take any more notice of compulsory C&R than they do of peer pressure? i suspect they’ll keep doing what they’ve been doing for generations and the EA haven’t got the resources to police it heavily so will continue to rely mainly on people ‘doing the right thing’

Hard to say, I suppose they aren't the brightest so maybe not. Are they receiving peer pressure though, most probably not! most people just turn a blind eye or use it to justify their own takings.

It is far easier to police or bailiff in that event though as no fish should be in anyones position, no excuses.

Bruce Walker

Reaction score
Yes because if they are cared for with the right tackle and bank side manner they swim off safely and go in their way to spawn !
No I don`t think so because they`re at the limit of their resources by then and about to perform their life`s destiny and produce future generations and sadly not everone does it like you hope.

No one can guarantee safe hooking, return and survival even with fresh, fully tanked up fish - let alone late season gravid fish (as virtually all of them are at this stage).
Only my opinion but under current stock circumstances an angler should only catch salmon to eat in line with their conscience and then leave them to it .
Play around with them - don`t eat them - then maybe fish for barbel (fine fighting fish they are) etc. as they go back in - are fed by anglers - caught again- go back in again.
Salmon are different. Catch them- play with them -return them = reduce their resources , jeopardise breeding capacity- if they survive the release.

It`s appalling and saddening to see some of the pictures appearing on here- not just the Wear thread (although the Frosterly chuckle brothers are heading the shame table in my view - duelling banjos reference very apt!) - but what`s as bad are references to "only good for dog food" and fish taken for dog food as some weird quality assessment cum excuse! Shake your heads chaps - we don`t live in Alaska ffs! Taking them for dog food or any reason whatsoever is no justification for ignorant behaviour. The only good place for those fish is in the river. And the only good place for those anglers is off the river until they are educated to change their ways.
The fish have done their bit and have made it home after everything - until some hillbilly hero drags them out and whacks them on the head so degrading the future of the species and so the river and future prospects for our following angling generations.

For balance , I think that many discerning anglers impose their own season end around the end of September with sensitivity of how the season has been but this is not largely trumpeted ( in the way that the big game fishers display their unfortunate catches) as it`s common sense .
No one would like to see an imposed ban at the end of September and, even though the EA have been insensitive to requests for changes in season dates to reflect the changing timing of runs around the country, it`s up to us to apply judgement as to season end . We know that the EA are sensitive to social media in their utterances and responses to events (and more so alleged events) on the Wear.

After many years at it I, and I`m sure many others, observe that the river actually closes itself in tune with runs without regard to dates- hopefully more will get to hear it and not go out to hunt the last tiger! Although I used to many years ago!
It`s often the wrong colour , unfit , full of eggs or milt, ugly and tastes horrible anyway! But the river loves it and needs it and it makes many more with luck.
If you`ve got to go chaps then go - and good luck !
Here`s hoping for better runs next year after what I hope was mainly the effect of the big floods on recent runs - which should now be spent.

C

cgaines10

It`s appalling and saddening to see some of the pictures appearing on here- not just the Wear thread (although the Frosterly chuckle brothers are heading the shame table in my view - duelling banjos reference very apt!) - but what`s as bad are references to "only good for dog food" and fish taken for dog food as some weird quality assessment cum excuse! Shake your heads chaps - we don`t live in Alaska ffs! Taking them for dog food or any reason whatsoever is no justification for ignorant behaviour. The only good place for those fish is in the river. And the only good place for those anglers is off the river until they are educated to change their ways.
The fish have done their bit and have made it home after everything - until some hillbilly hero drags them out and whacks them on the head so degrading the future of the species and so the river and future prospects for our following angling generations.

I, myself use that more of a derogatory statement in that it's of no benefit to human consumption & at best dog food imo, but yes maybe it's the wrong language to be using and merely condemning it would be better (y)

I've got nothing against dogs either ? If I had one I certainly wouldn't be feeding it gravid Salmon.

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
I, myself use that more of a derogatory statement in that it's of no benefit to human consumption & at best dog food imo, but yes maybe it's the wrong language to be using and merely condemning it would be better (y)

I've got nothing against dogs either ? If I had one I certainly wouldn't be feeding it gravid Salmon.
Yeah same, fit for dog food meaning it shouldn't be taking from the river not actually for dog food ?

Kaney

Reaction score
S.A.F.A Act 1975 interestingly states attempts to take Gravid fish does this in fact mean it’s illegal to even attempt to catch said Salmon or Sea Trout ?

Rrrr

Reaction score
S.A.F.A Act 1975 interestingly states attempts to take Gravid fish does this in fact mean it’s illegal to even attempt to catch said Salmon or Sea Trout ?
No, i think you would be ok fishing for them as that would be coverd by the "caught accidently and returned" bit at the bottom as you would be targeting clean fish.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Kaney

Reaction score
No, i think you would be ok fishing for them as that would be coverd by the "caught accidently and returned" bit at the bottom as you would be targeting clean fish.

[/QUOTE
Im playing devils advocate here but if you know their in the river in numbers is it an accident? I think it should be left to the individual conscience but coloured fish for me should always go back as quickly as possible

Rrrr

Reaction score
I rekon that would come down to where you are fishing. If you are spinning the redds or way up river in october then you could argue that you are fishing for gravid fish. If you are fishing mid to lower river then they would be a by catch.
Either way they should be kept in the water and returned with as little fuss as posible.

Kaney

Reaction score
I rekon that would come down to where you are fishing. If you are spinning the redds or way up river in october then you could argue that you are fishing for gravid fish. If you are fishing mid to lower river then they would be a by catch.
Either way they should be kept in the water and returned with as little fuss as posible.

Nail on the head for me even though I live on the upper river if I fancy a days fishing I go down Durham for that reason each to there own . I fish all year and what annoys me is that the cowboys come out of the closets every October just purely to throw lumps of metal over the reds and kill every fish they catch pure knuckle dragging Neanderthal’s

Walleye

Reaction score
I've never fished over a redd on the upper river. It's not that I deliberately avoid the redds, just that the redds are few and far between and the deeper holding pools fish better.

The salmon are two months away from spawning. There are no gravid salmon in the river now. If you want to avoid fishing over redds, best to avoid fishing the middle and parts of the lower river at all. There are many, many more redds in the middle and lower river than on the upper. Some of the best fishing spots on the middle river are basically redds and they are hammered all season.

Kaney

Reaction score
I've never fished over a redd on the upper river. It's not that I deliberately avoid the redds, just that the redds are few and far between and the deeper holding pools fish better.

The salmon are two months away from spawning. There are no gravid salmon in the river now. If you want to avoid fishing over redds, best to avoid fishing the middle and parts of the lower river at all. There are many, many more redds in the middle and lower river than on the upper. Some of the best fishing spots on the middle river are basically redds and they are hammered all season.
I’ve lived in Weardale my whole life and see Salmon spawning regularly in late October your right about the redds in the middle and lower Wear but I fish there for the later run Salmon that enter the river later purely because they’re cleaner . There was a photo I seen yesterday of a lad returning a hen that had obviously already spawned so not the usual it still happens

Rrrr

Reaction score
First decent frosts will get them spawning usualy.

Bruce Walker

Reaction score
Have a look at Sperlash`s post on 1st October . Seems that salmon are literally no more than cheap dog food to some.