River Wear 2020

greenlaner2009

Reaction score
If you could live your life backwards you would never make a mistake .The clever person in life is the one that identifies mistakes in the past and tries to improve things for themselves and others in the future...Also Mate fyi I have taken one liced cock grilse fish from the wear in twenty years prior to that honestly think it didnt make a difference due to a massive migratory return ,not the pittance we have today
What do you do to try to improve things for yourself and others in the future ? apart from coming on here accusing certain clubs and individuals of chapping everything they catch with no foundations to these allegations. Do you ever still fish the shrimp or prawn as CCR will lead to these methods being banned, i personally enjoy these methods and see no problem with them.

Sperlash

Reaction score
What do you do to try to improve things for yourself and others in the future ? apart from coming on here accusing certain clubs and individuals of chapping everything they catch with no foundations to these allegations. Do you ever still fish the shrimp or prawn as CCR will lead to these methods being banned, i personally enjoy these methods and see no problem with them.
If youve ever heard the saying If only we knew then what we know now.And can you remember the river when it was great are all things I hear regular and by trying to convince people to stop killing mature breeders is all I can do personally to improve things for the future.
Many many rivers have closed for angling in Ireland and looking at the downward curve of stock and the overall declines over the last 20 years ,where is this headed...Complete closure Compulsory C@R Season ended early or worse still nothing left to fish for...
As for methods .I have no issues with any , but have an issue with size 4 trebles on large bladed spinners.They hook incredibly deep and are not conducive with anything related to returning a fish unharmed..,
I also think if we are returning a fish ,holding a coloured fish high and mighty for the perfect angled posed picture or carrying it up the bank should be discouraged.A quick snap if need be in the waters edge is enough but stop handling them and parading them round like a trophy.
As for accusing clubs of chapping coloured fish ive got plenty pics of fish a watsapp group sends its internal members and plenty are dead and plenty are not great in terms of condition

greenlaner2009

Reaction score
If youve ever heard the saying If only we knew then what we know now.And can you remember the river when it was great are all things I hear regular and by trying to convince people to stop killing mature breeders is all I can do personally to improve things for the future.
Many many rivers have closed for angling in Ireland and looking at the downward curve of stock and the overall declines over the last 20 years ,where is this headed...Complete closure Compulsory C@R Season ended early or worse still nothing left to fish for...
As for methods .I have no issues with any , but have an issue with size 4 trebles on large bladed spinners.They hook incredibly deep and are not conducive with anything related to returning a fish unharmed..,
I also think if we are returning a fish ,holding a coloured fish high and mighty for the perfect angled posed picture or carrying it up the bank should be discouraged.A quick snap if need be in the waters edge is enough but stop handling them and parading them round like a trophy.
As for accusing clubs of chapping coloured fish ive got plenty pics of fish a watsapp group sends its internal members and plenty are dead and plenty are not great in terms of condition
post them pictures.

Coneheads

Reaction score
Sperlash, your quote
" but have an issue with size 4 trebles on large bladed spinners"

most of us decent anglers have too !

big albert

Reaction score
I do not for one minute think there are a lot of salmon being killed by anglers on this river it must be at least 90 percent being released, so to force a complete ban seams pointless.
Sounds more like do what i say, not what i did.
don't know how people can eat river fish years of pesticide that have washed off the land Its the enjoyment of been out time goes by quickly its the thrill of the chase .60 year ago some big families parents on low pay people were hungry turned to the land

Coneheads

Reaction score
don't know how people can eat river fish years of pesticide that have washed off the land Its the enjoyment of been out time goes by quickly its the thrill of the chase .60 year ago some big families parents on low pay people were hungry turned to the land
I'd rather have a cardboard sandwich than some of the gravid fish taken . but as for pesticides ? aren't most crops of grain and veg, sprayed with them ?

big albert

Reaction score
I'd rather have a cardboard sandwich than some of the gravid fish taken . but as for pesticides ? aren't most crops of grain and veg, sprayed with them ?
crops grown up as far as Bradley burn potatoes. jonstones farm below Askwith corn or wheat crook area. you will get run off into crook beck loads agriculture around fir tree Bishop Auckland

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
Someone's had a bad day at vinovium ?
Screenshot_20201005-193635_Gallery.jpg

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
Also fell down the full embankment at page bank on the way home landed upside down in a bush how I never snapped my rod ill never know ???

Sperlash

Reaction score
Fished hard today one pool only holding a few fish.Apart from that extremely quiet for october.The water was perfection for the fly but think lack of fish and crap angler was to blame.

Smoggy

Reaction score
Fished hard today one pool only holding a few fish.Apart from that extremely quiet for october.The water was perfection for the fly but think lack of fish and crap angler was to blame.

I fished for three hours ish today. Touched four fish, three of which were classic sea trout quick pulls, had a good solid pull on the dangle and lost a good mid teen salmon that was on for approx 10 seconds and was taking line very quickly until all went slack! Bugger!!!

Whenty1

Reaction score
I fished for three hours ish today. Touched four fish, three of which were classic sea trout quick pulls, had a good solid pull on the dangle and lost a good mid teen salmon that was on for approx 10 seconds and was taking line very quickly until all went slack! Bugger!!!
Fished the evening today good flow in the water but getting very clear , had one pull on the line that was it saw plenty of fish some were nice and clean fresh looking fish but they were running like Fook , could see em coming up the rapids into the pool and straight on , not stopping n lying ! I

WearFlyFisher

Reaction score
I've fished hard the last 2 days. Had 2 salmon yesterday, both coloured cock fish about 12lb and 8.5lb and missed a couple of pulls. Today hooked 2 salmon, the first I thought was the bottom then some strong head shaking, unfortunately it came of after about 45 seconds. The next was on about 1.5 minutes then again came off. Then missed a strong pull. Hopefully my luck will change next time out