River Wear 2020

Beefly Dave

Reaction score
I caught a lovely sea trout early on then I couldn't hook up for love nor money. I had so many fish on and off in 1-2 seconds and a few more for longer - not counting plucks, or tweaks or splashes at the fly without contact which I normally get lots of fishing surface lures.

I stopped counting at 25 fish lost in a row, including two salmon, one at the net which was my own dumbass fault. I am sure it was over 30 lost in a row before I landed my next sea trout a few weeks ago.

Sounds frustrating, which it was, but I've really enjoyed this season. Last season, I caught a few more and can't remember losing any but I prefer this season tbh.
Wow, you must be a Zen Buddhist to take a run like that in your stride. I'd cry ?
I've enjoyed this season more too. Less water = more nights. Numbers = a bit down, so what?

greenlaner2009

Reaction score
What is it with the older anglers, i talk to loads of them who now call for catch and release, criticise others for taking fish when in their younger days they caught and killed more than their fair share. If you have ever killed fish you have no right to criticise others doing now what you have done in the past.

big albert

Reaction score
In what way is the Tees knackered? It has far better trout & grayling both size & numbers. The migratories are recovering & it has the potential to be one of the best rivers in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dear Mr wolf

There are several research projects being undertaken to look how best to control or eradicate signal crayfish.

Unfortunately there are currently no effective controls that would apply to rivers such as the Tees.

A possible solution to your problem would be to fly-fish.

I hope that helps.

Regards

Paul Frear. I contacted the environment agency no solution at the moment they burrow into the bank bait fishings impossible fishings so good barnard castle AC cant get members salmon have died a death. How are fish supposed to achieve the breeding cycle if these are in the becks where they spawn crawfish eating eggs It's not going to happen educate yourself watch the youtube video. Trapping doesn't work nor pesticide they travel on land. From the tees theirs a small Gill near Eggleston they went up there to join the gaunless I'm in my late 60s but its the youngsters that won't have a future fishing.40year ago we fished snow hall Gainford back end you could see salmon running 20 pound trout 18 inch regular not the river it was Ask the angling centre in north road darlington I did crawfish infested in all the lower tees.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qImSSqYh298
Dear Mr wolf

There are several research projects being undertaken to look how best to control or eradicate signal crayfish.

Unfortunately there are currently no effective controls that would apply to rivers such as the Tees.

A possible solution to your problem would be to fly-fish.

I hope that helps.

Regards

Paul Frear.

WearFlyFisher

Reaction score
I feel looking at pictures online and seeing anglers dispatch coloured hens at the back end we need some form of joint club/association guidelines/rules as many people still dont seem to get it.I personally think that before we are forced into compulsory c@r we would be better saying either ALL FISH in October returned end of or all hens in september and october to be returned.This would protect our breeding stock to a degree and if were not carefull .due to the collapse of the september october fresh running fish well end up like the eden and tons of irish and scottish rivers Shut End Sept to protect the stocks
There is a lot of fish clonking goes on around witton le wear on the premise it was my first one this needs restraint from the angler and enforcement from the clubs.
As a member of a club in the Witton le Wear area I can tell you your comment "there is a lot of fish clonking going on around Witton le Wear" is totally wrong. In fact less fish are taken in this area than in all the other clubs I'm in. Many of the anglers return 100% of the fish they catch at Witton. I've been a member for 10 years and consistently the policy of the club is to return fish. I know over this 10 year period the clubs stats are 95% of all salmon and sea trout are returned, yes 95% I'd like to know how other clubs stats compare. I'm on the water a lot this time of year as osme will know on this forum... so see what goes on! Yes one salmon was kept by an angler, his first fish ever after 3 seasons of trying the other week. The fish wasn't a bar of silver but it certainly wasn't coloured either.

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
Think alot of lads nowadays practice catch and release,certainly the younger lads anyway, no problems with people taking fish for the pot, lads pay there money can do as they please as long as it meets the rules/byelaws. But hen fish and black fish cmon man who wants to take them anyway. Abit common sense should be used

WearFlyFisher

Reaction score
Definitely a salmon.
Has anyone else been experiencing a bigger % than usual of fish shedding the hook after appearing to be well hooked. I was talking to one of our syndicate members yesterday who said he'd lost off 5 on the trot and another member had had 7 come off on the bounce. I've had more come off than usual but thank God not that bad!
Also, I've had 8 salmon so far this season and 7 have been cock fish. More than a bit worrying if that reflects the % of male to females in the population at large.

Geoff
Hi Dalnashaugh. You've had 7 to 1 in favour of cock fish. I'm the opposite. I've had 10 salmon and 9 have been hen fish of which 6 of them were doubles. For fish coming off this season its been about the same I think. Lost 1 salmon half way in and one after a few seconds after probably lifting slightly too early. Lost alot of sea trout after a few seconds ealier in the season but that's quite often the norm with sea trout.

C

cgaines10

I contacted the environment agency no solution at the moment they burrow into the bank bait fishings impossible fishings so good barnard castle AC cant get members salmon have died a death. How are fish supposed to achieve the breeding cycle if these are in the becks where they spawn crawfish eating eggs It's not going to happen educate yourself watch the youtube video. Trapping doesn't work nor pesticide they travel on land. From the tees theirs a small Gill near Eggleston they went up there to join the gaunless I'm in my late 60s but its the youngsters that won't have a future fishing.40year ago we fished snow hall Gainford back end you could see salmon running 20 pound trout 18 inch regular not the river it was Ask the angling centre in north road darlington I did crawfish infested in all the lower tees.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qImSSqYh298

Yes it’s well known what they do & i’ve watched said video a long time ago, it certainly doesn’t mean the Tees is knackered. Its by far the best trout and grayling fishing on the NE rivers. Arguably course fishing too although I don’t do that. I catch 3lb plus trout every year no problem, fly life is fantastic too.

The salmon fishing hasn’t been what it should for along time, if that’s all you’re basing it on? It’s a recovering river without the help of a hatchery unlike the Tyne. Spawning tribs are all clean and there’s salmon parr in a 100% of the areas now.

Salmon are getting caught too, 11 fish in a week not so long ago. Under fished these days.

Sperlash

Reaction score
I disagree with that view. In the years gone bye in a lot of the rivers in Scotland there was a healthy autumn run despite all the netting in the rivers and all the fish which were taken by the fishing guys. The real problems are on other places. Move all the predators away and you will have enough salmon in your rivers very soon. These C&R debates are only white paste to conceal the real need for action.
With angling you can catch only 30 percent of the fish which come into the river. If you return 50 percent of your catch than it doesn‘t do any larger effect on the stock. The netting did. But the predators together with the poachers do much more.
Unfortunately we can
What is it with the older anglers, i talk to loads of them who now call for catch and release, criticise others for taking fish when in their younger days they caught and killed more than their fair share. If you have ever killed fish you have no right to criticise others doing now what you have done in the past.
The reason older anglers are advocating catch and release is quite simple.These are the anglers who have witnessed the ongoing collapse of our fishery and have witnessed it at its best.They also can see the wrong in what they did!!!
The new kids on the block havent seen it good and unfortunately the way things are heading never will..The last two northern white rhinos on the telly the other night mother and daughter ,all others wiped out by mankind I could have wept,,,Carry on

greenlaner2009

Reaction score
Unfortunately we can

The reason older anglers are advocating catch and release is quite simple.These are the anglers who have witnessed the ongoing collapse of our fishery and have witnessed it at its best.They also can see the wrong in what they did!!!
The new kids on the block havent seen it good and unfortunately the way things are heading never will..The last two northern white rhinos on the telly the other night mother and daughter ,all others wiped out by mankind I could have wept,,,Carry on
Sounds more like do what i say, not what i did.

Sperlash

Reaction score
Advice please..Ive just been to my neighbours to help with something and my neighbours wife said she had her car whipped at durham by a fisherman.She works in passport office on split night shifts and said the four anglers on the raddison wall had big rods and where pulling the line up into the air fast!!!
We all know what this is dont we.I have asked her to text me when she sees them again how do we get EA bailifs on site with immediate effect.Also correct me if im wrong if they are off the high wall is this not a health and safety /council bylaw matter as well

Sperlash

Reaction score
Sounds more like do what i say, not what i did.
If you could live your life backwards you would never make a mistake .The clever person in life is the one that identifies mistakes in the past and tries to improve things for themselves and others in the future...Also Mate fyi I have taken one liced cock grilse fish from the wear in twenty years prior to that honestly think it didnt make a difference due to a massive migratory return ,not the pittance we have today

Last edited:

Sperlash

Reaction score
A clever person would never try to remove another persons right to do something, A clever person might try to educate them.
Unfortunately some people cant be educated ,In many cases its the older breed that needs to change not the newer ones.Any coloured fish that's killed irrespective of time of year is a waste and to kill a hen salmon in full bloom is just F@@kn stupid.Sorry but forgot the river was in fine form with an abundance of trout and salmon just look at the returns.

Whenty1

Reaction score
Yes it’s well known what they do & i’ve watched said video a long time ago, it certainly doesn’t mean the Tees is knackered. Its by far the best trout and grayling fishing on the NE rivers. Arguably course fishing too although I don’t do that. I catch 3lb plus trout every year no problem, fly life is fantastic too.

The salmon fishing hasn’t been what it should for along time, if that’s all you’re basing it on? It’s a recovering river without the help of a hatchery unlike the Tyne. Spawning tribs are all clean and there’s salmon parr in a 100% of the areas now.

Salmon are getting caught too, 11 fish in a week not so long ago. Under fished these days.

I’ve seen a couple of salmon this year above winston nice fish too , also heard of some good sea trout in the Greta !

Coneheads

Reaction score
Advice please..Ive just been to my neighbours to help with something and my neighbours wife said she had her car whipped at durham by a fisherman.She works in passport office on split night shifts and said the four anglers on the raddison wall had big rods and where pulling the line up into the air fast!!!
We all know what this is dont we.I have asked her to text me when she sees them again how do we get EA bailifs on site with immediate effect.Also correct me if im wrong if they are off the high wall is this not a health and safety /council bylaw matter as well
Nothing changed up there there then ? same as its always been on both banks too , having read many old Wear threads on here, now whipping cars too, Rawhide comes to mind :ROFLMAO: Could scratch car paint work or whip a wiper off with a bare treble hook,but not by a fisherman though ,but by a snatcher ? not many van loads to be got this season ? , The so called "Free Stretch" , Free for all methods more like.

greenlaner2009

Reaction score
Unfortunately some people cant be educated ,In many cases its the older breed that needs to change not the newer ones.Any coloured fish that's killed irrespective of time of year is a waste and to kill a hen salmon in full bloom is just F@@kn stupid.Sorry but forgot the river was in fine form with an abundance of trout and salmon just look at the returns.
I do not for one minute think there are a lot of salmon being killed by anglers on this river it must be at least 90 percent being released, so to force a complete ban seams pointless.

teesfisher

Reaction score

Said it many times before, and usually get shouted down (barrage , seals, no fish, crayfish, etc, etc...), but the Tees is a forgotten gem. The coarse fishing (yes I know this is a salmon fishing forum, but its about the bigger picture) is amongst the best you could ask for, the wild brown trout fishing is superb ( that's why the National fly fishing team use the upper Tees so much for practice), the Grayling stocks are increasing in both number and distribution, and whilst the salmon and sea trout numbers are still on the road to full recovery, there are far more making their way upstream than people realise. So, far from being "knackered", of the 3 main North East Rivers (Tees, Wear and Tyne), the Tees is probably, across the whole fishery and biodiversity spectrum, the best of the 3.

C

cgaines10

Said it many times before, and usually get shouted down (barrage , seals, no fish, crayfish, etc, etc...), but the Tees is a forgotten gem. The coarse fishing (yes I know this is a salmon fishing forum, but its about the bigger picture) is amongst the best you could ask for, the wild brown trout fishing is superb ( that's why the National fly fishing team use the upper Tees so much for practice), the Grayling stocks are increasing in both number and distribution, and whilst the salmon and sea trout numbers are still on the road to full recovery, there are far more making their way upstream than people realise. So, far from being "knackered", of the 3 main North East Rivers (Tees, Wear and Tyne), the Tees is probably, across the whole fishery and biodiversity spectrum, the best of the 3.

Couldn’t agree more

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
Spoke to a nice bloke today at escomb said he had a couple on the prawn yesterday 6lb 8lb and put them both back.....said had enough in the freezer ??... nice bloke though ?