River Wear 2020

Whenty1

Reaction score
Where at Whenty? All the gauges look pretty steady and low at the minute. I think it’ll be up significantly this weekend though.
At Whittington park water metre gone from 0.335 to 0.408 been slowly moving all day , I don’t think it will get much higher now didn’t have that much rain last night ,
But yeah will defo be a good flood in over wkend !

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
Well lads You know what they say No Smoke Without Fire.Just had best pal on the phone telling me what he witnessed today.
His friend lives on the same road as a bloke who keeps dogs and was shifting some stuff into the garage when his mate arrived home from another barren day on the wear On exchanging greetings the bloke asked what his neighbour had caught and a despondent blank yet again was the answer,
The dog owners answer floored my mate,, There are loads in the wear according to my pal he said its been full down below fatfield.Ive just been to his place to get a load of salmon for the dogs.The lad was flabbergasted and asked where from and was told where this lad and his palls were from and that they had been netting the lower river since may and couldn't get rid of them all as they had been getting so many...

What F@@k@@g hope have we got with this going on.He was was offered a Fresh salmon as the bloke said they're really too good to feed the dogs You talk about insult to injury,, Chances are these are the same lads whose nets were discovered earlier this season A new set of nets and away we go again,, Good night Vienna Where are the Bailifs
Don't stand a bloody chance man ??

GOD

Reaction score
please dont listen to anything the EA say about crayfish they no even less about them than fish. there is an arbitrary line north and south of the Humber that they refuse to budge on regarding where you can get a licence to catch crayfish. there info on size id false old and inaccurate data that they use to try and defend they wont issues licences because essential they are free and there is no revenue from them. the essential reason is also to do with mis identification of the species between native and non native and and also it is in there eye a deterrent from selling the signals to a ready made market and stopping further spread through unauthorised stocking which is how these creatures are virtually everywhere now! people thinking its a good idea to put these creatures anywhere so they can harvest them the feckin ejits. the EA;s stance despite been proved negative in the north of England is little short of obstructive and obstinate, despite repeated call by many including DEFRA they refused to change their stance on trapping and licences meanwhile people just carry on dumping them every where much to the detriment of the environment because you cant do anything about. we showed them on Blagdon estate river Blyth what limited trapping could do if carried out correctly and systematically removing all life stages from small to large and sold handsomely profits going directly back into river management. their crayfish 'expert' didnt take being upstaged to well and put the blocker on further licenced removal and the EA refused to listen to any pressure from Lord Ridley and DEFRA ministers. their entire stance on crayfish is backwards and has created havoc in those practitioners trying to do something about them their stance locally is there is nothing we can do.

not related but noted an earlier post referring to otters being introduced to the rivers here, No otters have ever been introduced to any rivers north of south Yorkshire where a limited release of some rehabilitated animals was carried out in the late seventies early 80's. no further reintroductions have taken place since then and especially up here. every otter here got here by itself from the early 90s onward nobody put them here, there has been a steady increase in spread on the wear following further increases naturally further north and subsequently south. ill get my coat:):)
where did all the otters go that were at that place on the A66, i remember doing the printing for them before they shut

X—rap

Reaction score
just to cheer things up new to the forum and essentially new to salmon fishing on the fly, had my fair share of sea trout and other fishies over the years but never met a salmon deliberately on the fly. so after not fishing for good while for various reasons and surviving quadruple by pass surgery last September, this summer i joined a club on the lower Wear and bought a new switch set up. first chance to get out yesterday because of work etc. not ideal conditions but dull overcast and mizzley thought why not. after struggling initially with the casting techniques i progressed down river fishing the faster waters. tried a few different flies from small tubes to alley shrimps, saw a couple of fish move and watched a school of about a dozen in one of the bigger pools all good fish. in true Mortimer style i lost my balance fell in water down the back of me waders. stopped fishing had a cuppa and moved down to a lovely stream and pool. casting much better fished through with alleys and then a cascade nowt, had a canny brown trout! but i new there were fish here, you know when you know. so 4.30 cup of tea change the fly to a small tube, gary dog i think? fished through a bit quicker this time and bang!! this beauty 15.4lb absolute belter, a little coloured but firm and well conditioned perfect autumn fish. Not bad 1st new water 1st new rod and 1st fly caught salmon. anyway keep up the interesting chat and be lucky
just to cheer things up new to the forum and essentially new to salmon fishing on the fly, had my fair share of sea trout and other fishies over the years but never met a salmon deliberately on the fly. so after not fishing for good while for various reasons and surviving quadruple by pass surgery last September, this summer i joined a club on the lower Wear and bought a new switch set up. first chance to get out yesterday because of work etc. not ideal conditions but dull overcast and mizzley thought why not. after struggling initially with the casting techniques i progressed down river fishing the faster waters. tried a few different flies from small tubes to alley shrimps, saw a couple of fish move and watched a school of about a dozen in one of the bigger pools all good fish. in true Mortimer style i lost my balance fell in water down the back of me waders. stopped fishing had a cuppa and moved down to a lovely stream and pool. casting much better fished through with alleys and then a cascade nowt, had a canny brown trout! but i new there were fish here, you know when you know. so 4.30 cup of tea change the fly to a small tube, gary dog i think? fished through a bit quicker this time and bang!! this beauty 15.4lb absolute belter, a little coloured but firm and well conditioned perfect autumn fish. Not bad 1st new water 1st new rod and 1st fly caught salmon. anyway keep up the interesting chat and be lucky
Well done on catching the fish but on the down side a big coloured hen should have been returned as that fish would have had thousands of eggs

Beefly Dave

Reaction score
Another night time salmo tonight along with a 3lb st. One other feeble pull and heard only one splash, think I'll be on day shift only from now on
IMG_20201002_194513.jpg

Sperlash

Reaction score
Well done on catching the fish but on the down side a big coloured hen should have been returned as that fish would have had thousands of eggs
I feel looking at pictures online and seeing anglers dispatch coloured hens at the back end we need some form of joint club/association guidelines/rules as many people still dont seem to get it.I personally think that before we are forced into compulsory c@r we would be better saying either ALL FISH in October returned end of or all hens in september and october to be returned.This would protect our breeding stock to a degree and if were not carefull .due to the collapse of the september october fresh running fish well end up like the eden and tons of irish and scottish rivers Shut End Sept to protect the stocks
There is a lot of fish clonking goes on around witton le wear on the premise it was my first one this needs restraint from the angler and enforcement from the clubs.

lax0341

Reaction score
I feel looking at pictures online and seeing anglers dispatch coloured hens at the back end we need some form of joint club/association guidelines/rules as many people still dont seem to get it.I personally think that before we are forced into compulsory c@r we would be better saying either ALL FISH in October returned end of or all hens in september and october to be returned.This would protect our breeding stock to a degree and if were not carefull .due to the collapse of the september october fresh running fish well end up like the eden and tons of irish and scottish rivers Shut End Sept to protect the stocks
There is a lot of fish clonking goes on around witton le wear on the premise it was my first one this needs restraint from the angler and enforcement from the clubs.
I disagree with that view. In the years gone bye in a lot of the rivers in Scotland there was a healthy autumn run despite all the netting in the rivers and all the fish which were taken by the fishing guys. The real problems are on other places. Move all the predators away and you will have enough salmon in your rivers very soon. These C&R debates are only white paste to conceal the real need for action.
With angling you can catch only 30 percent of the fish which come into the river. If you return 50 percent of your catch than it doesn‘t do any larger effect on the stock. The netting did. But the predators together with the poachers do much more.

Last edited:

lax0341

Reaction score
The better idea is to look why in other places in the world the autumn runs are still healthy, or healthy again , and in Britain not.

Walleye

Reaction score
The better idea is to look why in other places in the world the autumn runs are still healthy, or healthy again , and in Britain not.
North Atlantic Oscillation.
Apparently salmon run timing is dependent on conditions at sea, not genetics, chapping or netting. Tweed long time series data shows run timing to vary between spring , summer and autumn dominated runs, linked to the NAO.

If we ever get to the point where anglers can affect the numbers of returning spawners then rivers should be closed. We are a long, long way from that though, despite what the EA may think. If there is ever so few fish in the Wear then nobody will be fishing for them anyway. Salmon and sea trout anglers, despite common misconceptions, aren't daft.

Dalnashaugh

Reaction score
Was a salmo mate ?
Definitely a salmon.
Has anyone else been experiencing a bigger % than usual of fish shedding the hook after appearing to be well hooked. I was talking to one of our syndicate members yesterday who said he'd lost off 5 on the trot and another member had had 7 come off on the bounce. I've had more come off than usual but thank God not that bad!
Also, I've had 8 salmon so far this season and 7 have been cock fish. More than a bit worrying if that reflects the % of male to females in the population at large.

Geoff

C

cgaines10

It surprises me that clubs don’t already have that?

It’s just stupidity from anglers or putting their selfish needs above all else. Who really needs a coloured fish for the table dog food at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

cgaines10

Definitely a salmon.
Has anyone else been experiencing a bigger % than usual of fish shedding the hook after appearing to be well hooked. I was talking to one of our syndicate members yesterday who said he'd lost off 5 on the trot and another member had had 7 come off on the bounce. I've had more come off than usual but thank God not that bad!
Also, I've had 8 salmon so far this season and 7 have been cock fish. More than a bit worrying if that reflects the % of male to females in the population at large.

Geoff

Yes!! Had so many come off this season like that. Very strange indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whenty1

Reaction score
Definitely a salmon.

Geoff
Yep I’ve lost a lot more this season on both sea trout and salmon something must be causing them to have soft mouths of something , most of my fish have been cock fish aswell !

X—rap

Reaction score
Was a black fish killed on chesters water on Monday according to a m8

Beefly Dave

Reaction score
5 hens to 1 cock here with few offs (jinxed now, will probs lose the next ten...). Lost plenty sea trout but can only remember one coming unstuck late when I was getting ready to land it

Walleye

Reaction score
5 hens to 1 cock here with few offs (jinxed now, will probs lose the next ten...). Lost plenty sea trout but can only remember one coming unstuck late when I was getting ready to land it
I caught a lovely sea trout early on then I couldn't hook up for love nor money. I had so many fish on and off in 1-2 seconds and a few more for longer - not counting plucks, or tweaks or splashes at the fly without contact which I normally get lots of fishing surface lures.

I stopped counting at 25 fish lost in a row, including two salmon, one at the net which was my own dumbass fault. I am sure it was over 30 lost in a row before I landed my next sea trout a few weeks ago.

Sounds frustrating, which it was, but I've really enjoyed this season. Last season, I caught a few more and can't remember losing any but I prefer this season tbh.