River Wear 2020

Sperlash

Reaction score
i hope there is still alot of salmon to run because reported numbers have been gash
Ive been out and about all week and seen about half a dozen fish.Mates down river at chester seeing a very odd fish so dont hold your breathThe fish that have been caught up this end are all summer fish and basically residents moving from section to section on the lifts were having..I was sat with a mate I hadnt talked too for years reminiscing about the 1980s and early 90s when he stated some pretty unbelivable statistics...The difference between the runs in the 90s when the counter started (And in reality i feel werent as good as the 80s from first hand experience)and the runs reported last year were at least 80 percent down...So in reality for every 10 fish we had then we are lucky to have 2 now and people saying the rivers doing well Being on the river all my life ive never seen it like this before (apart from last year)..Fingers crossed and hoping but i think were in for another record low run yet again..

reedwarbler

Reaction score
Ive been out and about all week and seen about half a dozen fish.Mates down river at chester seeing a very odd fish so dont hold your breathThe fish that have been caught up this end are all summer fish and basically residents moving from section to section on the lifts were having..I was sat with a mate I hadnt talked too for years reminiscing about the 1980s and early 90s when he stated some pretty unbelivable statistics...The difference between the runs in the 90s when the counter started (And in reality i feel werent as good as the 80s from first hand experience)and the runs reported last year were at least 80 percent down...So in reality for every 10 fish we had then we are lucky to have 2 now and people saying the rivers doing well Being on the river all my life ive never seen it like this before (apart from last year)..Fingers crossed and hoping but i think were in for another record low run yet again..
[/QUOTE Got to agree with you mate, ive fished the river from the the seventies,
and the river is a shadow of what it used to be, such a shame, to see its decline,
and i cannot see how it is going to recover, in the near future.

reedwarbler

Reaction score
Got to agree with you mate, ive fished the river from the the seventies,
and the river is a shadow of what it used to be, such a shame, to see its decline,
and i cannot see how it is going to recover, in the near future.

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
What do you think could be done lads to try and recover some numbers to the river. There must be something what has happened... eg. Big numbers one year then low the next? What happened during that time or the years before which could of affected numbers, do we see bad floods then low counts for a few years, extremely dry seasons then low counts etc etc. How can the river go from 20 thousand count just a few years ago to 4k+ last season. What has happened in the meantime to produce them numbers

Whenty1

Reaction score
It’s the same on most rivers we’re ****ing it all up a it’s the way we live , massive knock on effect of everything out at sea and on land , only time and a big effort from the virus that is plaugeing this planet (us humans ) will cure it !
But it can be done other countries have managed to bring rivers back !
Had this double cock fish yesterday! D961D2AE-644E-490A-A27F-CD07FEAEAECE.jpeg

Walleye

Reaction score
The river had similar runs in the mid 90's around 1995 which was as dry a year as 2018. It recovered then, hopefully it will do as well.

lax0341

Reaction score
What do you think could be done lads to try and recover some numbers to the river. There must be something what has happened... eg. Big numbers one year then low the next? What happened during that time or the years before which could of affected numbers, do we see bad floods then low counts for a few years, extremely dry seasons then low counts etc etc. How can the river go from 20 thousand count just a few years ago to 4k+ last season. What has happened in the meantime to produce them numbers
I fear it‘s the explosion of the predators everywhere. One cormorant eats nearly one pound of fish per day. Not to speak about the seals and so on. Also the amount of insects has dropped sharply from the nineties until nowadays.
IMO the only way which could help could be to introduce a well managed hatchery for salmon and seatrout like the do in Danmark.

Last edited:

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
I fear it‘s the explosion of the predators everywhere. One cormorant eat nearly one pound of fish per day. Not to speak about the seals and so on. Also the amount of insects has dropped sharply from the nineties until nowadays.
IMO the only way which could help could be to introduce a well managed hatchery for salmon and seatrout like the do in Danmark.
Agree with the predators mate but not the hatcheries.

Walleye

Reaction score
All the Wear clubs should take up their license to shoot FEBs. Some clubs take it up, others don't. There'd be plenty volunteers if clubs are short of shooters.

Bushwhacker

Reaction score
I fear it‘s the explosion of the predators everywhere. One cormorant eat nearly one pound of fish per day. Not to speak about the seals and so on. Also the amount of insects has dropped sharply from the nineties until nowadays.
There,s ten times the amount of Goosanders to Cormorants mate.
As lads above have said,its rubbish now to what it used to be.And its not only the game fish.Practically all the Coarse fish have gone.Just the odd big Barbel and Chub.
Also at Durham and below,the fly life has disappeared.This means most of the food is not there for young fish.
A couple of years ago i put my Gopro on a long pole and ran it through 5 pools at Durham.I never saw one Parr or any other type fish.
As i,v said many times.If there,s no Smolts going to sea,there,s definitely no grown ups coming back.

Whenty1

Reaction score
To much intensive farming , not enough flowering plants meadows left for insect life , to many chemicals leaching out of ground int water systems , to much bleach n household chemicals that don’t breakdown going in the water ways , the pill that stops women getting pregnant can make fish infertile netting out at sea , the list goes on !
All the chickens are gonna come home to roost soon !

lax0341

Reaction score
There,s ten times the amount of Goosanders to Cormorants mate.
As lads above have said,its rubbish now to what it used to be.And its not only the game fish.Practically all the Coarse fish have gone.Just the odd big Barbel and Chub.
Also at Durham and below,the fly life has disappeared.This means most of the food is not there for young fish.
A couple of years ago i put my Gopro on a long pole and ran it through 5 pools at Durham.I never saw one Parr or any other type fish.
As i,v said many times.If there,s no Smolts going to sea,there,s definitely no grown ups coming back.
I don‘t know how many gramms of fish a single goosander eats per day. But I have scientific studies about the amout of fish a single cormorant eats per day. In my remembering it is by far the biggest amount of fish which a single predator bird eats per day.

greenlaner2009

Reaction score
I fear it‘s the explosion of the predators everywhere. One cormorant eats nearly one pound of fish per day. Not to speak about the seals and so on. Also the amount of insects has dropped sharply from the nineties until nowadays.
Would that be a hatchery like on the tyne, which has achieved nothing.

Daventus

Reaction score
Not tried the Shakespeare switch rods just 13’ Spey n have to say I prefer it to my hardy demon , I have a Scott Mackenzie 11’2 7/8 switch wich is an awesome rod when the flow isn’t to heavy but when there is a good spate with fast water n big heavy flies I find the 13’ a bit easier to work with !
Shaky better than the Demon :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.what size is it and do you want to sell it

Whenty1

Reaction score
Shaky better than the Demon :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.what size is it and do you want to sell it
I’m not saying they are better rods I’m just saying I prefer the action , every ones different , I have the 12,9’ 8/9wt not ready to sell it yet as only just got the 2020 oracle Spey , probs not sell anyways ! to be honest rod brands/names mean nowt to me the majority of blanks are all made in same way and place anyways !
It’s funny I’ve got loads of rods , n me favourite’s are the cheapest !