River Wear 2020

GOD

Reaction score
2 of us tried today on fly, seen fish head n tailing through just before dark. water dropped about 2-3 inches whilst there and seemed to get siltier as night went on. not a touch lol.

GOD

Reaction score
right guys im after some advice. yesterday was my first try on a double hander trying spey casting. quick lesson from a friend with an old set up. so i am looking to buy the gear i need in due course. i have been watching youtube tutorials on casting and the various lines, skagit, scandi, spey, different grain weights etc and its opened a can of worms for me. bearing in mind i will only be fishing the river wear and wont need to cast to the moon. so a set up, rod length, line type, grain and probably at some point one that will cope with different tippets to fish deeper when needed or heavier flies. any advice is appreciated, thanks

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
right guys im after some advice. yesterday was my first try on a double hander trying spey casting. quick lesson from a friend with an old set up. so i am looking to buy the gear i need in due course. i have been watching youtube tutorials on casting and the various lines, skagit, scandi, spey, different grain weights etc and its opened a can of worms for me. bearing in mind i will only be fishing the river wear and wont need to cast to the moon. so a set up, rod length, line type, grain and probably at some point one that will cope with different tippets to fish deeper when needed or heavier flies. any advice is appreciated, thanks
Also my first season with a double hander im no expert but my setup is easy peasy to cast and fish deep tubes doubles sunrays covers all bases for the wear and can also fish delicate with full floater if needed
Rod: 12ft guideline elevate 7/8
Reel: guideline halo 7/9 DH
line: rio 25lbs backing 200m
Running line: rio powerflex max 0.35mm
Head: rio scandi short 8wt
I fish deep with fast tips (all included in the scandi head pack) float,int,slow sink, fast sink. Really good feedback throughout the line can feel every bump and knock. The rod is only entry level compared to some but at £200 is a great rod. Reel is just a fancy line holder really haha but personally preference and needs to match the aftm rating of youre rod and obviously have the capacity to hold plenty of line. Scandi short head from rio is a joy to cast and really easy off both shoulders snap t double spey single spey no problems. Alot of lads like the Shakespeare oracle switch setups and a switch line seem to be very popular. Again im no expert mate but hope this helps. I only started at the beginning of the season with a double hander and im slowly growing into it. Always learning is the key good luck mate

Last edited:
Reactions: GOD

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
A comfortable rod would be in my opinion an 8wt at 11,12,13ft. Grams to grains will be on the rod description which your looking to buy and just match youre line which will also have the grams to grains on within the weights on the rod. You can buy full setups from some places which contain all of the above but in my experience you only get what you pay for mate. Barrio lines from Mike barrio are ment to be really good and if you contact him with you're rod type he will give you advice on which line from him would suit youre rod best

Reactions: GOD

Whenty1

Reaction score
I think the Shakespeare oracle series DH rods are great for the money at just under £100 and out perform many top branded rods worth 5/6 times the price defo have a look at those you won’t be disappointed on performance the Spey 13’ 8/9 wt is a very nice easy rod to cast

Isisalar

Reaction score
Obviously Shakespeare oracle switch rods are fantastic value for money and perform very well but they're not the best rods out there. Reels and lines need to match the rod and can cost as much or as little as the budget allows.
With the Wear in mind, I got earlier this year one of the last available John Norris N1I 11' #7/8 switch rods and I must say it seems to be ideal matched with a 410 grain switch line. This is a Guideline made rod. Sadly no longer available.
The good news is that John Norris will be selling a new range of Guideline branded rods soon, exclusive to them. I believe GAC do something similar.It will probably called the Reacher.
I was told that they should be available before Christmas at £150 - £200, likely as a special deal like the Stoked range earlier this year. Ie. to include a reel and line.
Sounds good to me.

Whenty1

Reaction score
Not tried the Shakespeare switch rods just 13’ Spey n have to say I prefer it to my hardy demon , I have a Scott Mackenzie 11’2 7/8 switch wich is an awesome rod when the flow isn’t to heavy but when there is a good spate with fast water n big heavy flies I find the 13’ a bit easier to work with !

GOD

Reaction score
seems a canny deal

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200925-201319_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200925-201319_Chrome.jpg
    592.9 KB · Views: 59

GOD

Reaction score
That’s just the “head” part of the line. You would still need a running line & selection of tips. I’d look into rio Scandi versitip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i a suppose its best to buy the whole package, canny pricey but read alot of good reports on rio lines. are they loop to loop changeable?

WearFlyFisher

Reaction score
This water seems to have brought some salmon into the river. I fished at Witton this afternoon. Had a salmon on for about half a minute before its head shaking threw the fly! Luckily the next two stayed attached the bigger of the two virtually ripped the line out of my hands. There are fish about but I didn't see a fish all afternoon.

Attachments

• 20200925_133627.jpg
    20200925_133627.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 49
  • 20200925_173019.jpg
    20200925_173019.jpg
    707.5 KB · Views: 42

Whenty1

Reaction score
This water seems to have brought some salmon into the river. I fished at Witton this afternoon. Had a salmon on for about half a minute before its head shaking threw the fly! Luckily the next two stayed attached the bigger of the two virtually ripped the line out of my hands. There are fish about but I didn't see a fish all afternoon.
Nice one I’ve seen a few caught today , I git out last night for an hour before dark but had nowt I did sea a couple just before dark they were just starting to run !
Hopefully still be a bit of water going down in the morning !

GOD

Reaction score
i hope there is still alot of salmon to run because reported numbers have been gash

Bushwhacker

Reaction score
The Shakespear 12ft-9 Scandi is a cracking rod for the Wear.Around £110.An Airflo Rage 500 grain head goes perfect with it.John Norris sells these for around £35.This line will handle all of the 10ft Airflo poly leaders.

lax0341

Reaction score
The Shakespear 12ft-9 Scandi is a cracking rod for the Wear.Around £110.An Airflo Rage 500 grain head goes perfect with it.John Norris sells these for around £35.This line will handle all of the 10ft Airflo poly leaders.
Do you still fish the Hardy‘s Demon in 13 feet ? I like my Hardy‘s Gem 13 feet and also the Demon.