River Wear 2020

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
The river is really low again Lewis, better suited to small single flies just like you were trout fishing little butchers and invicta,s and light leaders. Presentation is the key when its low.
I scaled down in the end to small teal doubles mate still nothing. A place I don't normally fish with very little flow graham nice to see so many jumping out mind you. Had to cut it short because my headtorch which had been charged for 5hrs decided not to work and had to rely on phone light... to be honest I've not done alot of night fishing and are still getting to grips with it next season though gunna make it a priority come end of May instead of flogging a dead horse with the fly on the day.

jimmythefish

Reaction score
As soon as the sun started to set the river came to life. It was lovely to see.
Yeah there you go buddy,your in the zone there my man. Even on your own just to get out there amongst the river life is great ? in the pitch black. I had to laugh ? at some of the looks from anglers trying to start out early at 7am the next morning as we were on our way home,first question is ALWAYS the same, Catch anything?. But put the late night hours in the wee sma hours and it’s brilliant fun, lives with you in memories for ever ?,great post.

Walleye

Reaction score
I scaled down in the end to small teal doubles mate still nothing. A place I don't normally fish with very little flow graham nice to see so many jumping out mind you. Had to cut it short because my headtorch which had been charged for 5hrs decided not to work and had to rely on phone light... to be honest I've not done alot of night fishing and are still getting to grips with it next season though gunna make it a priority come end of May instead of flogging a dead horse with the fly on the day.
With very little flow, try a retrieve.
I don't think you can retrieve too fast but your fly can fish too slow if you know what I mean.
Also, in those slow bits, if they are no more than 3-4 ft deep I've had good success with surface lures. Skinny ones, basically plastic tubes skating in the surface and making a wake.
Also try getting down deep to them.
Just mix it up a bit when there are loads of fish but getting no success and usually something will click.

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
With very little flow, try a retrieve.
I don't think you can retrieve too fast but your fly can fish too slow if you know what I mean.
Also, in those slow bits, if they are no more than 3-4 ft deep I've had good success with surface lures. Skinny ones, basically plastic tubes skating in the surface and making a wake.
Also try getting down deep to them.
Just mix it up a bit when there are loads of fish but getting no success and usually something will click.
The river was really alive with them sometimes 2 at a time splashing out was great too see walleye. And yes the surface lure would of been great last night something I've never done (surface lure) as I use a slow intermediate line going to change for next year and have 2 setups one with the surface lure for a quick swap. Only the 4th or 5th time ive tried night fishing someone with a bit more of experience would of bagged one for sure tried black and silver aluminium tube, fulling mill alexandria snakes, and teal doubles. No touch at all still really enjoyable fishing though. Its magic at night ??

Whenty1

Reaction score
Few hours on badac water tonight don't know what the fish wer doing saw at least 20 + and a few big bow waves but they weren't interested one bit in tubes or snake flies. Some real wackers jumping out left right and centre never had a single touch in the 3 hours
Sometimes don’t turn till late sometimes early, also i never use anything but floating WF line for night time sea trout and leader as long as your rod , sometimes longer !

reedwarbler

Reaction score
The river was really alive with them sometimes 2 at a time splashing out was great too see walleye. And yes the surface lure would of been great last night something I've never done (surface lure) as I use a slow intermediate line going to change for next year and have 2 setups one with the surface lure for a quick swap. Only the 4th or 5th time ive tried night fishing someone with a bit more of experience would of bagged one for sure tried black and silver aluminium tube, fulling mill alexandria snakes, and teal doubles. No touch at all still really enjoyable fishing though. Its magic at night ??
I would stick to a full floater for your night fishing, unless there is extra water in, i personally would start of small and gradually increase in size,
as the night goes on, mainly with Plastic tubes, also if you havent done a lot of night fishing i would just stick to one rod as carrying two set ups can be a pain,

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
I would stick to a full floater for your night fishing, unless there is extra water in, i personally would start of small and gradually increase in size,
as the night goes on, mainly with Plastic tubes, also if you havent done a lot of night fishing i would just stick to one rod as carrying two set ups can be a pain,
Don't get me wrong I'm a competent fisherman but I just think someone with a bit more experience would of probably winkeld one out last night, where I've probably disturbed the pool and changed too late but I know for next time ??

reedwarbler

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong I'm a competent fisherman but I just think someone with a bit more experience would of probably winkeld one out last night, where I've probably disturbed the pool and changed too late but I know for next time ??
I am not saying your not competent mate, but earlier to greenlaner you said you hadnt done much night fishing,
I am just trying to give you a bit advice,

WEB83

Reaction score
Yeah there you go buddy,your in the zone there my man. Even on your own just to get out there amongst the river life is great ? in the pitch black. I had to laugh ? at some of the looks from anglers trying to start out early at 7am the next morning as we were on our way home,first question is ALWAYS the same, Catch anything?. But put the late night hours in the wee sma hours and it’s brilliant fun, lives with you in memories for ever ?,great post.

Thanks for your message. I absolutely love it, it feels, in some ways, similar to stalking or shooting. There’s a strong sense of the primal hunting instinct becoming resurrected.

GOD

Reaction score
fish everywhere last night down from page bank, was down durham last week and you should see the crap the new council headquarters site have been chucking in river. bricks, concrete, slabs n allsorts. shocking.

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
fish everywhere last night down from page bank, was down durham last week and you should see the crap the new council headquarters site have been chucking in river. bricks, concrete, slabs n allsorts. shocking.
Bloody idiots has it been reported mate?

Walleye

Reaction score
Scratch that ....

Go to

Report the stuff, preferably with a photo.

They report it to the council. Fixmystreet also follows up with the council's and publishes response times, successful conclusions etc so the council takes any report from fixmystreet far more seriously than a direct report to the council or referred from some other government body.

If the waste is less that 10 tonnes then the EA will just pass it onto the council to deal with.

The app is really good. You can upload a photo there and then and pin it on a map. Incidents can be reported in around a minute or so, with your mobile while at the river. Great for reporting flytipping like this.

GOD

Reaction score
next time im down will try and get some pics. anyone had out to do with david norwich rods? more so the evolution series?

Beefly Dave

Reaction score
Pulled this out tonight. Felt bloody cold after a fortnight in Devon, not helped by a major wader leak ? IMG_20200921_205025.jpg

big albert

Reaction score
Scratch that ....

Go to

Report the stuff, preferably with a photo.

They report it to the council. Fixmystreet also follows up with the council's and publishes response times, successful conclusions etc so the council takes any report from fixmystreet far more seriously than a direct report to the council or referred from some other government body.

If the waste is less that 10 tonnes then the EA will just pass it onto the council to deal with.

The app is really good. You can upload a photo there and then and pin it on a map. Incidents can be reported in around a minute or so, with your mobile while at the river. Great for reporting flytipping like this.
do it on line Durham County council. fly tipping /complaints.

Walleye

Reaction score
do it on line Durham County council. fly tipping /complaints.
Yes, you can but they don't respond anywhere near so quickly IME. Fixmystreet is more visible to the general public so they prioritise reports through them.
Fixmystreet started out as reporting potholes and the publishing of response times was apparently a great incentive to most councils.

WearFlyFisher

Reaction score
Yeah loads of sea trout about at the moment I was out Saturday night had two lost a couple and must of had 10-12 good solid takes !
Hopefully will get a half decent rise with this rain n get some more salmo’s up !
That's one hell of a good night... a dozen or so good solid takes. How far were you up the river? I've heard of plenty caught around the Hunwick area last few days.

Whenty1

Reaction score
Up around Whitton area , wasn’t gettin any action so changed to this low water fly 16DF8C5E-2626-4CDF-8769-3CA263EE6A04.jpegand was getting a take every few casts hitting real hard , but nothing hooking up, normally get one in 2/3 takes hooking up , So I cut off the single hook and attached a trebble and banked two fish , weather it was the fly or just the fish turning on I’m not sure but certainly a productive night , gin clear water aswell
Both fish probs 4-5 lbs ish

GOD

Reaction score
fish pass yesterday, obviously fish still getting up but would be nice if the EA did something to help them especially during low water

Attachments

• 20200922_190348.jpg
    20200922_190348.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 72