River Wear 2020

WearFlyFisher

Reaction score
Hearing there's plenty of fish around and below Durham. Think the shrimp guys will be giving the salmon a good knacking. For us fly boys there's still plenty of action on a night. Ventured out last night and again like Thursday night missed plenty of opportunities to put fish in the net. Had 6 takes. Caught 2, hooked and lost 2 and missed 2 pulls. Saw one pod of fish go past me around midnight.

Attachments

• 20200913_204606.jpg
    20200913_204606.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 70
  • 20200913_225229.jpg
    20200913_225229.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 68

GOD

Reaction score
Hearing there's plenty of fish around and below Durham. Think the shrimp guys will be giving the salmon a good knacking. For us fly boys there's still plenty of action on a night. Ventured out last night and again like Thursday night missed plenty of opportunities to put fish in the net. Had 6 takes. Caught 2, hooked and lost 2 and missed 2 pulls. Saw one pod of fish go past me around midnight.
nice, u fish above durham? might venture out

Sperlash

Reaction score
Midnight !! how much time are you spending !! you deserve what you catch A couple of hours does me in the dark nowadays:)

Sperlash

Reaction score
Effort = Reward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I fished for reward Id pack up tonight.!! Its the craik with the lads the outdoors and the stress relief for me anyway.I catch my fair share but leave the pools for other lads to enjoy as well.I tried to fish a couple of sea trout beats recently that were CONSTANTLY FLOGGED by the same group of anglers to be greeted on the water with as much welcome as a lepper with ebola coughing covid

C

cgaines10

If I fished for reward Id pack up tonight.!! Its the craik with the lads the outdoors and the stress relief for me anyway.I catch my fair share but leave the pools for other lads to enjoy as well.I tried to fish a couple of sea trout beats recently that were CONSTANTLY FLOGGED by the same group of anglers to be greeted on the water with as much welcome as a lepper with ebola coughing covid

Hahah very true! I love just being on the water surrounded by nature. That’s why I love the Tees so much it’s stunning

Lepper with Ebola that’s quality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sperlash

Reaction score
1826 threw the counters for August
With these reported figures looks like its another disastrous result.September and october will be the decider as the last few years the fish have not arrived.Still next to noting at chester apart from a few sea trout and its been perfect down there for a build up of fish if they were there to come..I honestly wouldnt be surprised if its still being netted to death on the lower reaches

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
With these reported figures looks like its another disastrous result.September and october will be the decider as the last few years the fish have not arrived.Still next to noting at chester apart from a few sea trout and its been perfect down there for a build up of fish if they were there to come..I honestly wouldnt be surprised if its still being netted to death on the lower reaches
Don't know how accurate them counters are I personally don't think they give us a good account but doubled from last season in August and the season before that too. Let's hope they keep coming like you say hopefully, September and October can see some good numbers. Not alot of rain in the forecasts either not enough for a good spate anyway. Seems to be swings and roundabouts on a few rivers lately ure,tyne and wear. But then the eden has fished unbelievably well with good water all season...all we can do is hope. As for the suspected netting yeah I think you're right wish something could be done about it 100's of thousands of eggs going to waste such a shame

Walleye

Reaction score
1826 threw the counters for August
I was at Durham quite a bit when they were running. I'd say the vast majority were summer salmon going over the passes.
I used to go down there in June/July with any small lift and see loads of seatrout running and few salmon. Not been able to do that for a while, not since a couple of years after the hydro was installed.

Walleye

Reaction score
It`s a discharge consent charge collection body now. They`re collecting charges for income to pay their salaries after goverment funding cuts. Open sewers again when Euro directives (as poor as they are) are gone.
Spot on.
The EA license polluters on every river so the EA are solely responsible for the vast majority of pollution in our rivers.

They've never been a body to look after or protect the environment. Their mission statement basically says they are there to sustainably develop the environment.
Which means to develop it to allow people to make money from abusing the environment.

Similarly, their only interest regarding fishing is in regulation. They don't want to work alongside fishermen and they only see further restriction of angling practises as a means to be seen to be "doing something" while completely ignoring the effectiveness of what they propose.

We are just like polluters to the EA - they issue a permit to allow us to do bad things(in their eyes). They spend most of their time trying to limit how bad those things are (in their eyes) while still issuing permits to continue doing those bad things.

WEB83

Reaction score
It`s a discharge consent charge collection body now. They`re collecting charges for income to pay their salaries after goverment funding cuts. Open sewers again when Euro directives (as poor as they are) are gone.
That’s absolutely right. Their income from regulating various operations is vast and I suspect, during these lean economic times, there will have been a major push to wave anything through as long as they can collect their monies. Like Natural England, their funding has been cut dramatically so the pressure to make ends meet through alternative means will have been significant.

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
Few hours on badac water tonight don't know what the fish wer doing saw at least 20 + and a few big bow waves but they weren't interested one bit in tubes or snake flies. Some real wackers jumping out left right and centre never had a single touch in the 3 hours

greenlaner2009

Reaction score
Few hours on badac water tonight don't know what the fish wer doing saw at least 20 + and a few big bow waves but they weren't interested one bit in tubes or snake flies. Some real wackers jumping out left right and centre never had a single touch in the 3 hours
The river is really low again Lewis, better suited to small single flies just like you were trout fishing little butchers and invicta,s and light leaders. Presentation is the key when its low.