River Wear 2020

Bushwhacker

Reaction score
Rennie/Pedro
Thanks for the input and advice. I suspect that you are correct with your diagnosis. I'm probably concentrating too hard on the "white mouse" and the d loop has started to collapse/lose tension before I begin the forward stroke.

Dave.
You kindly offered me lessons at the start of my adventure into double handed casting but I didn't want to pester you while you are convalescing.
I will happily take you up on the offer when it warms up a bit as long as I'm not intruding on your (fishing) time.

I'm not familiar with the Durham water, only fished it a couple of times during fmd crisis and I'm not even sure I was in the right place ? Certainly don't remember it looking like your videos lol. It was at night though!!

I'm just trying to learn a couple of casts to enable me to fish either bank. I'll sort you out with a brew and dinner in exchange mate ?
Cheers, Steve

No bother mate.We can sort a day out when the weather is Ok.

Stoatstail1967

Reaction score
I'm message you soon and we can sort something out ?
I'm back to home and work tomorrow.
Thanks again Dave, you're a star. ??
Cheers, Steve

russ1610

Reaction score
Thats about the biggest flush through for 3 years, seen a few 2.5 - 2.75 m flushes, but this one is now over 3, and still rising
, that will make a few changes to the river.

Bushwhacker

Reaction score
I,v been saying it for a few years now,these mild winters are just as bad for the fish stocks as netting and predatory birds.
At least in cold winters the water goes into the river slowly.
A flash flood like this can wipe out the redds or at least smother them in silt.

Walleye

Reaction score
My missus was at a spa day at the Radisson. She mentioned it was over the wall and on to the road.
Brother has been out taking photos. A few below.
IMG-20200209-WA0032.jpg
IMG-20200209-WA0039.jpg
IMG-20200209-WA0031.jpg
IMG-20200209-WA0043.jpg
IMG-20200209-WA0026.jpgIMG-20200209-WA0028.jpg
I know the first 3 and the last one. See if you can guess right.

greenlaner2009

Reaction score
My missus was at a spa day at the Radisson. She mentioned it was over the wall and on to the road.
Brother has been out taking photos. A few below.
View attachment 42335
View attachment 42337
View attachment 42336
View attachment 42338
View attachment 42339View attachment 42340
I know the first 3 and the last one. See if you can guess right.

Dennis Craigs stretch at Eastgate,2 Lambton estates looking to A68 road bridge 3 Stanhope just upstream of the butts pool, 4 Lambton estates witton bridge looking down stream to the big pool and Lyne burn foot, 5 A68 road bridge looking upstream to the wood pool, the one that Lambton leased out to the pilot. and number 6 Witton castle lakes, in years gone by the best trout fishery in the area now no longer used.

Walleye

Reaction score
Dennis Craigs stretch at Eastgate,2 Lambton estates looking to A68 road bridge 3 Stanhope just upstream of the butts pool, 4 Lambton estates witton bridge looking down stream to the big pool and Lyne burn foot, 5 A68 road bridge looking upstream to the wood pool, the one that Lambton leased out to the pilot. and number 6 Witton castle lakes, in years gone by the best trout fishery in the area now no longer used.

Pretty sure you are right on all, although on the first one I'd have described it differently. Just out of shot upstream (to the right) is a rickety old wooden footbridge perched on top of two unfeasibly narrow brick columns. Walking across it in summer low water conditions gives me the shivers and you couldn't pay me enough to cross it in that water. I'm always surprised the bridge is still there whenever I see it. Are we talking about the same place?

C

cgaines10

The aftermath so sad to see!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tony w

Reaction score
Hi,cgaines the pictures paint a bleak future for the salmon and sea trout which is bad enough to start with although the EA would have us believe things are ok

C

cgaines10

Hi,cgaines the pictures paint a bleak future for the salmon and sea trout which is bad enough to start with although the EA would have us believe things are ok

Tell me about, all while they’re pushing for big net consents

Beefly Dave

Reaction score
So 2023 and/or 2024 unfortunately could be bad years.:shocked:

Could be. Then again, worst flood I remember up the dale was at the end of Jan 1995 - took out the foot bridge at Brotherlee as mentioned earlier as well as the road bridge at Eastgate. The 98 count was respectable while the one from 99 was the best ever recorded by the Fram Dam counter. Quite how that works I'm not sure. The EA reckoned there were barely any fry after storm Desmond and (correctly) predicted this year's run would be poor and reckon next year's will be too as a consequence. No idea why the same thing didn't happen with the bigger flood in 95 but for whatever reason it didn't.

Last edited:
C

cgaines10

Always sad to see is that but what majority of the fish in the Pic's were actually migratory

I’m not sure as it was a friend who had sent me these. He did however say there was literally thousands all over on the floor, some 30yards away from the river bank.

C

cgaines10

Could be. Then again, worst flood I remember up the dale was at the end of Jan 1995 - took out the foot bridge at Brotherlee as mentioned earlier as well as the road bridge at Eastgate. The 98 count was respectable while the one from 99 was the best ever recorded by the Fram Dam counter. Quite how that works I'm not sure. The EA reckoned there were barely any fry after storm Desmond and (correctly) predicted this year's run would be poor and reckon next year's will be too as a consequence. No idea why the same thing didn't happen with the bigger flood in 95 but for whatever reason it didn't.

Possibly due to the large loss at sea nowadays?

teesfisher

Reaction score
I’m not sure as it was a friend who had sent me these. He did however say there was literally thousands all over on the floor, some 30yards away from the river bank.

vast majority of those in the photo look like Minnow and stickleback. Still sad to see, but part of nature - weaker swimming species don't cope well with floods generally.