River Wear 2020

WearFlyFisher

Reaction score
I was wondering if people had noticed their fish seem to be covered in green lice (freshwater - I think?) a lot more the last couple of seasons than say 4 or 5 years ago. I had one sea trout with over 35 on last July. Fresh silver fish that haven't been in the river very long even have them. See photo below of a fish from 2 nights ago, this has about 10 lice on it. When I've caught the odd chub by accident when sea trouting I've never seen any of these lice on them.

Attachments

Whenty1

Reaction score
Had this one last night 5 lb 10 oz on Bishop water there are lot of fish about now lost another and missed 3 vicious takes , for not a particularly big fish it sure did go for it , took me half way down to me backing on the second run !
Black and orange tube I get loads of fish on this pattern either black and orange or just all black !35B4A4F9-49A1-48B7-996A-5DFFDD35C36B.jpegDF57B037-5168-40C0-88EC-7EA87D8FD2AC.jpeg

Reaction score
Had this one last night 5 lb 10 oz on Bishop water there are lot of fish about now lost another and missed 3 vicious takes , for not a particularly big fish it sure did go for it , took me half way down to me backing on the second run !
Black and orange tube I get loads of fish on this pattern either black and orange or just all black !View attachment 46687View attachment 46688
What beat was this on mate cracking fish

MarkR

Reaction score
I was wondering if people had noticed their fish seem to be covered in green lice (freshwater - I think?) a lot more the last couple of seasons than say 4 or 5 years ago. I had one sea trout with over 35 on last July. Fresh silver fish that haven't been in the river very long even have them. See photo below of a fish from 2 nights ago, this has about 10 lice on it. When I've caught the odd chub by accident when sea trouting I've never seen any of these lice on them.
I've been lucky enough to land a few fish on the Tyne on this recent lift. All of them very fresh but absolutely covered in river lice. It prompted me to do a bit of reading, and I came across a paper which suggests that river lice can be an indicator of metal contamination (pollution) within the fish. Obviously this wont be being picked up at sea but I wondered if given both the Tynes' and the Wears' mining history, pollution might be being ingested during the parr/smolt years.. I've never come across river lice on fish on any of the Scottish rivers that I fish.

Coneheads

Reaction score
Black and orange tube I get loads of fish on this pattern either black and orange or just all black !View attachment 46687View attachment 46688
Nice fish, I was wondering what the 2 wire like rings are that are visible just below the head on the tube on the left ?

Whenty1

Reaction score
Nice fish, I was wondering what the 2 wire like rings are that are visible just below the head on the tube on the left ?
Ahh , it is a couple of strands of silver tinsel that have got caught round the head there are two either side that go full length of the tube

Sperlash

Reaction score
Two specimen sea trout caught at chester one 12lb one 14lb + Absolute fabulous last of the genetic breeders. Unfortunately both clonked on the head ,When will we learn??Take a 3lber for the table but clubs are going to have to step in and man up and put a stop to this killing lark

Reaction score
Two specimen sea trout caught at chester one 12lb one 14lb + Absolute fabulous last of the genetic breeders. Unfortunately both clonked on the head ,When will we learn??Take a 3lber for the table but clubs are going to have to step in and man up and put a stop to this killing lark
Bloody stupidity take a few little ens out for gods sake. Got absolutely nothing against people taking fish whatsoever but a bit of common sense should be used

WearFlyFisher

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure but I think in Wales lots of clubs won't let you kill sea trout over certain size. They realise the importance of these larger fish. The Wear has some clonking sized sea trout but no where near the numbers now according to people who've fished the river for years.

cgaines10

Reaction score
Jesus, what a waste

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenlaner2009

Reaction score
Are you trying to say a large seatrout is genetically different, It cant be as I remember you saying stocking is fine because the genetic argument made by the E.A is a spurious argument. Large Wear seatrout are also not necessarily multi spawners. So killing large fish or small fish its just the same.

Coneheads

Reaction score
. Large Wear seatrout are also not necessarily multi spawners. So killing large fish or small fish its just the same.

Never heard such trash on seatrout fishing ! So you say 12lb and 14lb seatrout are not necessarily multi spawners ? these large seatrout must of been baggots and rawners then ? for all their wasted migrations ? not spawning,
As for killing them , is just fish mongering,

Walleye

Reaction score
I used to think all big sea trout were multi spawners but apparently Wear fish and many other east coast fish aren't. It surprised me too but someone posted some research on it.

I think the west coast rivers are different which is why there tends to be many more smaller sea trout in them, and many fewer big sea trout. Think about it, multiple spawners run the gauntlet many times and mortality must be very high. 5-7lb sea trout are very common on the Wear, (some years, that's my average) there is a good chance of any individual angler catching a 7-10lber, 10lb plus are caught every year, mid teens every year. 2.5 - 3 lb is a small fish. I've caught more in the 10lb+ bracket than I have in the <2lb bracket.

reedwarbler

Reaction score
I used to think all big sea trout were multi spawners but apparently Wear fish and many other east coast fish aren't. It surprised me too but someone posted some research on it.

I think the west coast rivers are different which is why there tends to be many more smaller sea trout in them, and many fewer big sea trout. Think about it, multiple spawners run the gauntlet many times and mortality must be very high. 5-7lb sea trout are very common on the Wear, (some years, that's my average) there is a good chance of any individual angler catching a 7-10lber, 10lb plus are caught every year, mid teens every year. 2.5 - 3 lb is a small fish. I've caught more in the 10lb+ bracket than I have in the <2lb bracket.
West coast rivers like the Teifi and Towy that were once renowned for the size of their sea trout and now are a shadow of themselves
Breed off shite and you end up with shite

WearFlyFisher

Reaction score
The important fish to return are the hens. Large hens contain vast amounts of eggs... the life blood of our river. A small male sea trout can fertilise many hens. We need as many fish to spawn as possible as predation from birds is growing year on year. I'm amazed we have as many fish to try and catch as we have when you think about it. Predation at sea, nets, anglers, otters and birds. The birds particularly damaging the parr and smolts. Two seasons ago I counted 13 cormorants on one pool... how many fish are they killing? Think about these things everytime you have a sea trout in your net.

Sperlash

Reaction score
Are you trying to say a large seatrout is genetically different, It cant be as I remember you saying stocking is fine because the genetic argument made by the E.A is a spurious argument. Large Wear seatrout are also not necessarily multi spawners. So killing large fish or small fish its just the same.
What im saying is you cant breed a racehorse from a donkey!!!!!!!!!! Some fish are natural brutes wonderful creatures that we are blessed to be able to persue,,Persue with respect and wonder Dont Chap them,Take one for the table by all means but dont abuse

A few years ago an angler on a local wear club complained that 25 salmon per angler (club kill limit) wasnt enough so he also clonked another 23 as his son was a member who didnt fish but felt he was due his entitlement, If it was me I would have sat him down and force fed him salmon until he passed out This is what the minority do spoil it for everyone.The EA are a disaster in their own right do not quote them look at the tees and Wear now compared to 10 years ago Not even a shadow of their former selves

Last edited: