River Wear 2020

Bushwhacker

Reaction score
Well my gear is ready for a session the morn.The river is dropping after a small lift yesterday and i think the water temps should be higher than normal for this time of year with all of this mild weather and no snow melt going in.
Any fish that are in should be in more of a taking mood with these conditions.

C

cgaines10

Well my gear is ready for a session the morn.The river is dropping after a small lift yesterday and i think the water temps should be higher than normal for this time of year with all of this mild weather and no snow melt going in.
Any fish that are in should be in more of a taking mood with these conditions.

Good luck mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bushwhacker

Reaction score
Fished Durham for three hours this morning.Came away early as my mates new wading boots decided to shed one of the felt soles.
The water was a perfect height and the temp is just under 8c.Its normally around 4c this early in the season.
No fish ,but it was good to get out and cast a line.

Stoatstail1967

Reaction score
At least you tried Davey.
I'm off work now for a week so I'll hopefully get a couple of sessions of casting practice in.

clippert

Reaction score
Just touching on farm waste in the river again. I didn't want to bump the 2019 thread.

This is part of what accumulated on a short stretch of the Wear at Harperley. the vast majority of it farm waste, all dug out by hand.
IMG_20200204_125415.jpgIMG_20200204_125957.jpgIMG_20200204_132813.jpg

Stoatstail1967

Reaction score
Had a couple of hours down the Wear this morning, it was baltic.
The water was warmer than the air.
Saw a good sized fish splash, almost certainly a kelt and saw an otter but that was it.

Holwell53

Reaction score
Also had an hour down at Durham , never seen anything , but nice to have some casting practice and be on the bank again

Stoatstail1967

Reaction score
Hoping to have a couple of hours tomorrow.
This time I'll leave the new switch rod at home and use something that will handle a heavier tube and fast sink tip to get down in the water column better.
Anyone else a member of slightly deranged optomist club?? Three members just isn't enough ??

Last edited:

Holwell53

Reaction score
Bad wind forecast for the weekend , so perhaps you should take the spinning rod?

Stoatstail1967

Reaction score
Well, I had a look out...
On the negative side, I saw nothing, caught nothing and was casting like a clown ?
On the positive side... I found a rapala worth £15 ?

Spinning isn't really on the cards because I'm not really trying to catch a salmon as a priority. I only picked a double handed rod up for the first time last back end. The real aim is to try and get reasonable at the single and double spey before the season proper gets underway.

Also, the truth is, I'm not really focused on salmon, my real passion is seatrout fishing so my season proper will begin after the first spring tide in May.

Cheers, Steve

Last edited:

Holwell53

Reaction score
Well it’s a start , I will go once or twice a week , as only live ten minutes from Durham centre , my casting was a bit rusty for a start ,but was ok after half an hour, and I am trying to learn casting off my left shoulder , that needs a lot of work lol

C

cgaines10

Well, I had a look out...
On the negative side, I saw nothing, caught nothing and was casting like a clown
On the positive side... I found a rapala worth £15

Spinning isn't really on the cards because I'm not really trying to catch a salmon as a priority. I only picked a double handed rod up for the first time last back end. The real aim is to try and get reasonable at the single and double spey before the season proper gets underway.

Also, the truth is, I'm not really focused on salmon, my real passion is seatrout fishing so my season proper will begin after the first spring tide in May.

Cheers, Steve

Lol good find! I lost one last year and contemplated going in for it hahaha

Keep at it though it’s all good practise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stoatstail1967

Reaction score
Cheers Chris.

I'm really contemplating some lessons. I seem to be able to get each stage of the cast right but am struggling to put them all together ?

For example, the double spey... Get the lift right, fly lands in the right place with the rod ending straight upstream and nice low. Get the setup correct and have a nice d loop and then fail spectacularly on the forward cast ?

Seems to be any two of the three stages but not all three at once. Usually it's the forward cast that goes tits up.

Never mind, practice, practice and more practice I guess.

Cheers, Steve

C

cgaines10

Probably worth a couple of lessons with a qualified casting instructor, I know Neil Lobban is well thought of & obviously is pretty local. I'm going to book some myself.

Stoatstail1967

Reaction score
Have considered joining the NEFCC but the logistics don't work for doing a multi week course.

There are three instructors local to me but can't decide who to go with.

The main stumbling block is that they seem to offer fishing on the Eden as part of the package but I don't really want to pay for the chance to catch a fish. It's purely the tuition I require, I can fish the Eden or Wear for free whenever I want ?

Rennie

Reaction score
Stoatstail1967, with just about any form of Spey casting faults can be easily traced-usually backwards to the preceding stage where the fault occurs.£ to a p. it's because you're not forming your D or V loop correctly prior to the forward cast! and not the forward cast itself as you might well be thinking!.
All successful Spey casting centres round forming a loop of sorts correctly anchored under tension facing the direction you wish to cast in.Bear in mind, you've TWO points of anchor for such a loop, your leader and the tip of the rod.If in the case of a shooting head, you can form such anchor's where the line is held in a controlled/tensioned loop completely off the waters surface by the rod tip and the leader, it will go like Joe Stink with very little effort into the forward cast.
If you're thinking about each stage of your casting-as you clearly are!- then its all not that far from coming together neatly with just a little more practice and thought.
Best of luck with it and remember its not all about hoofing it!,
Pedro.

Bushwhacker

Reaction score
Cheers Chris.

I'm really contemplating some lessons. I seem to be able to get each stage of the cast right but am struggling to put them all together ?

For example, the double spey... Get the lift right, fly lands in the right place with the rod ending straight upstream and nice low. Get the setup correct and have a nice d loop and then fail spectacularly on the forward cast ?

Seems to be any two of the three stages but not all three at once. Usually it's the forward cast that goes tits up.

Never mind, practice, practice and more practice I guess.

Cheers, Steve

I,l sort you out with some lessons mate.No charge.
The thing is when the river is up to a nice level you will normally be wading right near the bank,so a Double Spey is nigh on impossible to do.I cast cack handed over my left shoulder when i fish Durham.I also use very short heads.
My two go to casts with these are a Snapt T or a Perry poke.
Looking at the forcast it looks like the fishing will be on hold for a few days.
As for seeing fish this time of year,the Springers on the Wear very rarely show themselves.The Kelts like to splash about though.

Stoatstail1967

Reaction score
Rennie/Pedro
Thanks for the input and advice. I suspect that you are correct with your diagnosis. I'm probably concentrating too hard on the "white mouse" and the d loop has started to collapse/lose tension before I begin the forward stroke.

Dave.
You kindly offered me lessons at the start of my adventure into double handed casting but I didn't want to pester you while you are convalescing.
I will happily take you up on the offer when it warms up a bit as long as I'm not intruding on your (fishing) time.

I'm not familiar with the Durham water, only fished it a couple of times during fmd crisis and I'm not even sure I was in the right place ? Certainly don't remember it looking like your videos lol. It was at night though!!

I'm just trying to learn a couple of casts to enable me to fish either bank. I'll sort you out with a brew and dinner in exchange mate ?
Cheers, Steve