River Wear 2020

Chester

Reaction score
The other 4 also needing investment to be complete effectively, which in the recent age of austerity wasn’t going to happen.
We may need to get creative if we want any of this to happen going forward

Bruce Walker

Reaction score
I think the stocking of trout in a river is just asking for bad news imo. Especially if it’s only for anglers to catch. That’s what Stillwater are for. Rivers are meant to be challenging & diverse.

So Ok to continue stocking the Wear with invertebrate -munching, spawn and fry gobbling coarse fish then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mr wolf

Reaction score
What was the body of wear clubs called that came together to stop the snatching/fishing below durham.Not that i agreed that proper anglers should have ever been stopped for the crimes of a few poachers ,the group applied pressure and managed to get things done ..Are there any representatives on here who can throw some light
I seen a report in a paper about refrigerated vans once was blown out of proportion to draw attention to one or two fishing.The growing seal population see them regular taking salmon in the summer when we fishing .some do gooders even built a concrete structure years ago at witton park for otters. after storm Desmond the one at Stanhope was washed away. the otter I seen at croxdale was size of Labrador dog must eat a stone a day. waste land in Stanhope burn a hatchery should have been built years ago. while fishing in Scotland I seen hedgehogs steel concrete small structures dropped in the river for fish to hide in. birds will eat a few hundred fish a day they need to be controlled cull

Sperlash

Reaction score
Anyone on here fished witton le wear fly fishers water heard a lad had 39 salmo last season "his worst season yet"
Dont believe everything you hear I live on the river and a 15 rod syndicate struggled to get them numbers last year let alone one rod..25 years ago I was averaging 70 salmon/sea trout with best week of 32 but unfortunately long gone.These were mainly from tommies pool on WWFF water.The pool then was 7 ft deep with a bedrock tail but is now brimming with gravel and welly depth.

Last edited:

Sperlash

Reaction score
Never heard of Witton le Wear fly fishers. Do they have a web site?
Its basically lambtons old water and bishops old water on the nature reserve,Pools devastated/filled in by last years floods but they are good lads and im sure they will sort them out with a machine shortly

cgaines10

Reaction score
Please expand on what course fish are getting stocked & where?

Reaction score
Dont believe everything you hear I live on the river and a 15 rod syndicate struggled to get them numbers last year let alone one rod..25 years ago I was averaging 70 salmon/sea trout with best week of 32 but unfortunately long gone.These were mainly from tommies pool on WWFF water.The pool then was 7 ft deep with a bedrock tail but is now brimming with gravel and welly depth.
Thanks for the info mate much appreciated 👍

mr wolf

Reaction score
Absolutely anyone can contact the EA & they are obliged to answer your request. I’ve dealt with them many times now with regards to the Tees & they’ve always got back to me. The local guys from the EA are all good blokes tbf & all want the same as us, but it seems like the corporate structure just doesn’t work imo. As Walleye pointed out, the money just doesn’t stretch far enough. So nothing “major” really happens. An easy win is good for the EA, anything to do with the Tyne happens at the drop of hat, as it’s easily sold/backed.

I think the stocking of trout in a river is just asking for bad news imo. Especially if it’s only for anglers to catch. That’s what Stillwater are for. Rivers are meant to be challenging & diverse.

Similar to what we have done on the Tees in formulating our own group, to tackle certain points. Probably needs doing on the Wear. That way you can challenge certain things & look at who’s accountable & also try and improve things.

River Tyne runs through some large private estates lot more wealth Keilder hatchery
Anyone on here fished witton le wear fly fishers water heard a lad had 39 salmo last season "his worst season yet"
very few migratory fish were seen at all October onwards Wolsingham upward be a wind up

mr wolf

Reaction score
Please expand on what course fish are getting stocked & where?

Environment Agency
Fisheries experts have given a boost to stocks in North East waters as part of the Environment Agency’s ongoing plans to develop and restore rivers and lakes in the region.

Fish including dace, chub, roach, crucian carp, tench, rudd and bream have been stocked into rivers and stillwater fisheries this week.

At the River Skerne near Darlington, 4,000 chub, dace, roach and barbel have been stocked, and a further 3,000 dace, chub and barbell have been released into the River Wear near Durham.

Reaction score
River Tyne runs through some large private estates lot more wealth Keilder hatchery

very few migratory fish were seen at all October onwards Wolsingham upward be a wind up
Obviously take things with a pinch of salt but this was a close friend so definitely not a wind up mate herad the lad who it was can fish everyday all day due to circumstances so that might explain the numbers haha

mr wolf

Reaction score
Obviously take things with a pinch of salt but this was a close friend so definitely not a wind up mate herad the lad who it was can fish everyday all day due to circumstances so that might explain the numbers haha
no don't believe here say they recon down at Chester-le-street good numbers taken there some very nice pools but can't see fish hanging around Numbers at durham counter have declined over the years unless clubs unite nothing will ever improve.Younger folks won't remember how good the river was in the 60s 70s
Heres a couple of the pools CLS I was looking at

Attachments

Stewart4wd

Reaction score
saw my first 2 seatrout of the season yesterday at page bank on bishop water
I fished Page Bank last night, the water is very low. Was sitting watching the river and I saw my first bow wave of the season coming up the river almost underneath where I was sitting. I got all excited until a bloody great otter poked its head out! 🤣!

Sperlash

Reaction score
no don't believe here say they recon down at Chester-le-street good numbers taken there some very nice pools but can't see fish hanging around Numbers at durham counter have declined over the years unless clubs unite nothing will ever improve.Younger folks won't remember how good the river was in the 60s 70s
Heres a couple of the pools CLS I was looking at
There is /was a good angler on CDAC water who would catch upwards of 150 fish per season with best year over 200.To put things into context I dont think he reached double figures last season and if he did it was down to the wire .The fish simply werent there,The fish around BAAC water in october were the summer run /july august fish in all their spawning glory with a minute amount of backend fish (check the counters I would totally agree with there readings)The absolute hayday for salmon and sea trout was early to mid eighties although it was still good up till early 2000s.
The 2 pools you are looking at are the washing machine and bridge pool.Both hold fish with the chance every morning of a fresh run fish.Massive advantage when fishing at snappers rather than fish that have been hammered.

Holwell53

Reaction score
One salmon of about ten pound caught this afternoon in bright sun on the free stretch at durham, was caught on a copper mepp.
Well done that man , I had a look last night , and the river conditions looked looked hopeless for catching a salmon , but then what do I know lol

mr wolf

Reaction score
Well done that man , I had a look last night , and the river conditions looked looked hopeless for catching a salmon , but then what do I know lol
Im surprised the green slime hasn't made fishing impossible as little rain

Mark-ne

Reaction score
I was out on the river all day yesterday and saw a few fish splashing around. I didn't catch anything but had a big sea trout turn on the fly last second and another one 5 minutes later.Grrr
I would have fished on but was exhausted by 11pm!
I've just got back in from the estuary but didn't fish too long, didn't see anything either.

Stewart4wd

Reaction score
I was out on the river all day yesterday and saw a few fish splashing around. I didn't catch anything but had a big sea trout turn on the fly last second and another one 5 minutes later.Grrr
I would have fished on but was exhausted by 11pm!
I've just got back in from the estuary but didn't fish too long, didn't see anything either.
Good effort! Where were you fishing?