River Wear 2020

cgaines10

Reaction score
Happy New Year to all my fellow Wear anglers! I wish you all the best for 2020 & plenty of fish :D

I honestly can't wait to get started again.

Tight lines,
Chris.

Reaction score
Same back at you mate πŸ‘

Good luck and tight line's for the new season and fingers crossed the counts are a lot better this year.

Walleye

Reaction score
Tight lines to everyone for the season ahead!

I predict a great year for salmon and sea trout this year as it will be the first season in a few not affected by either big floods at spawning time or drought during the season.

The fish will be so numerous and so large, the difficult thing will be deciding which fish you are going to catch next ;)

Holwell53

Reaction score
Looking to catch up with some of you guys in the coming season ,
Tight lines every one.

Reaction score
Who else is going to start fishing from the start of the new season?

In my defence, I haven't lost the plot completely, I'm going to be trying to improve my spey casting but I will tie a fly on... Just in case lol

cgaines10

Reaction score
Who else is going to start fishing from the start of the new season?

In my defence, I haven't lost the plot completely, I'm going to be trying to improve my spey casting but I will tie a fly on... Just in case lol
I'll certainly give it a bash! I've got a new rod I want to christen lol :D

cgaines10

Reaction score
What rod you got Chris? Come on spill the beans lad.
I've reserved a Loop Cross S1, getting it at the end of the month once I'm home from work. Can't wait :D Good price for them at them moment on the outlet store.

Bushwhacker

Reaction score
As usual i will be out on opening day, conditions permitting.
Be glad to dust the cobwebs off and do some fishing as i,v done nowt since last season apart from make lures and tie flies.
Lets see what this coming season brings,hopefully at least more water than the past five.

Reaction score
Earliest wear salmon?

Out of curiosity, what is the earliest date any member has had a fresh Wear springer or seatrout?

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what is the earliest date any member has had a fresh Wear springer or seatrout?
My earliest Salmon was the last week in Feb.
The Seatrout usually start around late April,early May.With some good ones early season.That big one i had a few years back was on the 13th of may.

Reaction score
Since I only started fishing the Wear in July last year I haven't got any early fish to report.
My earliest seatrout was the end of April from the river lune. This was a very early fish for the lune.

Earliest salmon was May day Bank Holiday from the South Tyne at Alston.

Bushwhacker

Reaction score
Since I only started fishing the Wear in July last year I haven't got any early fish to report.
My earliest seatrout was the end of April from the river lune. This was a very early fish for the lune.

Earliest salmon was May day Bank Holiday from the South Tyne at Alston.
Many anglers think there are no springers in the Wear.But very few try for them.If more anglers fished early season ,more would be caught.
Many anglers don,t bother fishing for salmon till the 16th of June when they can keep them.

Reaction score
It's the same where I live on the river eden.
The population truely believe that salmon don't reach us until October... Why do they think the entire run stops below us and wait for the calendar to reach a specific date?
The reality is that I personally know of salmon caught as early as May and as early as February anecdotally.
The real reason they aren't caught is because they are no longer fished for and all the old knowledge of the traditional lies died two generations ago.
A second reason they aren't caught is everyone is chasing trout with light tackle and if they happen to have a take they get smashed up and never even realise they had a salmon in the first place.

Walleye

Reaction score
There's a pool a couple hundred yards below the weir at CLS on their club water which I reckon is the best chance of a spring salmon. Talking with an angler there a few years ago it really surprised me how early and how many spring salmon are caught there.
Wear is a decent spring river in the lower beats. The weir at CLS holds many back as I think it is a thermal barrier in the early season then late April/May is often dry.
Probably the next best bet will be the free stretch.

As others have said, if more people fish the likely spots then more people will catch. As others have said, if the knowledge is lost and not passed on then it will be even harder to catch early fish.

Rrrr

Reaction score
There's a pool a couple hundred yards below the weir at CLS on their club water which I reckon is the best chance of a spring salmon. Talking with an angler there a few years ago it really surprised me how early and how many spring salmon are caught there.
Wear is a decent spring river in the lower beats. The weir at CLS holds many back as I think it is a thermal barrier in the early season then late April/May is often dry.
Probably the next best bet will be the free stretch.

As others have said, if more people fish the likely spots then more people will catch. As others have said, if the knowledge is lost and not passed on then it will be even harder to catch early fish.
Sounds similar to where the first fish is caught on the coquet most years but the weir on the wear is on alot smaller scale, the fish tend to come in on the front of the tide and hold up below the dam, if you are there at the same time as the fish they dont seem to be fussy when tide fresh.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

WearFlyFisher

Reaction score
Im not sure if many of you know about the Consultation that the EA are currently running - Extending the North East and Yorkshire Sea Trout Netting Season. It finishes Feb 21st. If you want to comment go to the EA site and search for North East and Yorkshire coastal sea trout fishery. You can also email jonathan.shelley@environment-agency.gov.uk who is leading the consultation.

WearFlyFisher

Reaction score
It is probably best to go to the EA site as this will be officially logged and they ask a few questions if you are an individual or representing an organisation. We need all the North East fishing Clubs to be all over this.