River wear 2019

russ1610

Reaction score
Happy New Year all, My resolution is to get out fishing this year on a regular basis, 2018 was the first year of my adult life and Im 61, that for one reason or another I didn't go out fishing. Even then I had my Salmon licence but just didn't go. Target, 6-8 Salmon and 12-15 Sea trout.

lax0341

Reaction score
Happy New Year to all of you and tight lines for 2019 ! Keep the fingers crossed , that there is a bit more water about than last year !:thumb:

Last edited:

Mickyo

Reaction score
Happy New Year all, My resolution is to get out fishing this year on a regular basis, 2018 was the first year of my adult life and Im 61, that for one reason or another I didn't go out fishing. Even then I had my Salmon licence but just didn't go. Target, 6-8 Salmon and 12-15 Sea trout.

sounds like a plan:thumb:

Walleye

Reaction score
Fishing clubs on the Wear

This is just from memory so I'd really appreciate corrections and additions. I thought it would be useful for locals and visitors alike to list clubs on the Wear. It's great fishing when the water is right and the night time sea trout fishing is probably the best in England with good numbers and large average size (I rarely catch 1-2 lbers, my own average is over 4lb with the biggest 13.5lb and I'm no expert).
I've listed them from the tide upstream..

Chester le Street AC
Finchale Priory AC
Felling Fly Fishers
Tyneside Anglers Syndicate
Durham Rangers
Durham City Free Stretch
Durham City Angling Club
Ferryhill AC
Bishop Auckland and District AC
Willington and District AC
Witton le Wear AC
Various syndicates (I don't know their exact names) between Witton and Wolsingham
Wolsingham AC
Frosterley AC
Stanhope AC
Weardale Fly Fishers
Upper Weardale Angling Club

Probably the best salmon fishing is below the two main in-river barriers at Chester le Street just above the tidal limit and Durham Fram dam so Chester, free stretch, Durham Rangers around the Kepier area do very well. Given water, all clubs in the lower and middle river do well. By October, salmon are right through the system.
Sea trout will run over wet grass so the barriers aren't really a problem and their runs more predictable. They fill the river from May onwards, slightly later for the middle and upper reaches. I fish the middle reaches and start in early June.

As an aside, FFF, TAS and Ferryhill also have water on the Tyne system. I think WADAC may also have a limited rod share with FFF bit I am not sure on this.

tkd7

Reaction score
This is just from memory so I'd really appreciate corrections and additions. I thought it would be useful for locals and visitors alike to list clubs on the Wear. It's great fishing when the water is right and the night time sea trout fishing is probably the best in England with good numbers and large average size (I rarely catch 1-2 lbers, my own average is over 4lb with the biggest 13.5lb and I'm no expert).
I've listed them from the tide upstream..

Chester le Street AC
Finchale Priory AC
Felling Fly Fishers
Tyneside Anglers Syndicate
Durham Rangers
Durham City Free Stretch
Durham City Angling Club
Ferryhill AC
Bishop Auckland and District AC
Willington and District AC
Witton le Wear AC
Various syndicates (I don't know their exact names) between Witton and Wolsingham
Wolsingham AC
Frosterley AC
Stanhope AC
Weardale Fly Fishers
Upper Weardale Angling Club

Probably the best salmon fishing is below the two main in-river barriers at Chester le Street just above the tidal limit and Durham Fram dam so Chester, free stretch, Durham Rangers around the Kepier area do very well. Given water, all clubs in the lower and middle river do well. By October, salmon are right through the system.
Sea trout will run over wet grass so the barriers aren't really a problem and their runs more predictable. They fill the river from May onwards, slightly later for the middle and upper reaches. I fish the middle reaches and start in early June.

As an aside, FFF, TAS and Ferryhill also have water on the Tyne system. I think WADAC may also have a limited rod share with FFF bit I am not sure on this.
Is Durham Rangers still going? And if so is it a very hush hush you have to be in the know type of club?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Walleye

Reaction score
Is Durham Rangers still going? And if so is it a very hush hush you have to be in the know type of club?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

It is still going. I don't think it's hush hush, certainly not when I've asked members about it. It's not on the interweb because they have enough members and don't need to advertise, everyone knows they have several of the best holding pools on the river. FFF have opposite bank for much of it although access is not good for fly fishing.
Last time I enquired by chatting with someone fishing the stretch, it was £400 per year and anyone can join. The members catch a lot on shrimp.

When there's water in July / August the fishermen are out. Do what I did and have a walk down the river and a chat. In low water you might not meet any fishermen but sit by the river for 5 minutes and you'll see a few salmon moving. It's a lovely walk too, well worth it.

Walleye

Reaction score
If anyone has information how and where to get access to the tidal stretches downstream of Chester le Street club water, I'd really appreciate it. There's some canny looking pools down there and I'd like to fish them at least once. I'm trying to fish as much of the river as possible. I'm in no hurry to do it but it would be nice before age gets the better of me.
Some of the Weardale clubs are closed to people living outside the postcode but I think they are starting to open up. Willington opened up a few years back and got a big boost in membership which kept costs down for locals. They have some good pools. I think Frosterley is now open. Pretty sure Wolsingham and Stanhope are still locals only although both may be accepting memberships from outside or are close to doing so.

NEbody

Reaction score
If anyone has information how and where to get access to the tidal stretches downstream of Chester le Street club water, I'd really appreciate it. There's some canny looking pools down there and I'd like to fish them at least once. I'm trying to fish as much of the river as possible. I'm in no hurry to do it but it would be nice before age gets the better of me.
Some of the Weardale clubs are closed to people living outside the postcode but I think they are starting to open up. Willington opened up a few years back and got a big boost in membership which kept costs down for locals. They have some good pools. I think Frosterley is now open. Pretty sure Wolsingham and Stanhope are still locals only although both may be accepting memberships from outside or are close to doing so.

Washington & Harraton Angling Club

russ1610

Reaction score
Binchester Bend

DSCN0457.JPG Binchester Bend, Bishop Auckland, as it looks now the work has finished. Where I hooked and landed mt biggest Salmon, 17lb, is now 40' away from the river and a gravel beach.
DSCN0455.JPG

russ1610

Reaction score
I was talking to the lads that did it, last week before they finished, Me, good job lads, R we only did what we was told not sayin it will hold there's a hell of a lot of water that caused that in the first place and if you keep getting floods like that who can say what will happen. Must admit another two or three, 3m floods and anything could happen. Not that there were any of those last year.

20120628_200744.jpg

same place but looking up stream with one of those floods that caused the damage.

Isisalar

Reaction score
That Washington and Harraton A.C. looks to be remarkable value, presumably it's tidal down there. Does it produce?
Could someone say where the top of the tide is on the Wear please?

Rrrr

Reaction score
That Washington and Harraton A.C. looks to be remarkable value, presumably it's tidal down there. Does it produce?
Just below chester park as far as i know.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

tacfly

Reaction score
Binchester bend

Looks ok but think they should have continued the rock reinforcement further around the bend, rather than stopping it just off the apex. Fishing from that gravel bar on the Kynren side looks like it could be worth a cast!

Bushwhacker

Reaction score

I fish down there quite a lot.Its mainly Seatrout with an odd salmon.

russ1610

Reaction score
Looks ok but think they should have continued the rock reinforcement further around the bend, rather than stopping it just off the apex. Fishing from that gravel bar on the Kynren side looks like it could be worth a cast!

Where the gravel bar ends at the water was just about where the right bank was two years ago, and you fished under the tree which is where i hooked the 17lber. very different now. and I agree durhamfisher they could have taken it down a bit further coz the wooded bank protection wont last anywhere near as well.

Bushwhacker

Reaction score
Well i managed a few hours today before i couldn,t feel my legs or feet.The water is only 3c.
Nice height and quite clear but dropping quick and i a had a small ST Kelt.I think i,l wait till the weather warms a bit before i give it another go so i can put in a canny session...

lax0341

Reaction score
Free stretch mate.I got the Kelt just above the pipe.
I,m going back the morn as theres a bit more water gone in.I,l try and put up with the cauld water a bit longer..:D

Have they reopened a bit more of the free stretch this year ? It‘s been very short in the last one.

greenlaner2009

Reaction score
Have they reopened a bit more of the free stretch this year ? It‘s been very short in the last one.
It was never closed legally, you can fish from the sign on the wall below the weirs all the way down to the stakes just above Kepier pool on the south bank right hand side looking down stream, and on the left hand bank you can continue round to where the stream enters the river just below Kepier pool.

noeyedeer

Reaction score
Binchester Bend, Bishop Auckland, as it looks now the work has finished. Where I hooked and landed mt biggest Salmon, 17lb

Completely irrelevant , but that reminds me I helped survey and excavate the Roman Fort at Binchester back in the ‘70’s

Got me an ‘A’ for Archaeology too ....:D