River Ure - Abbey Beat

Andrew B

Reaction score
...However, I have caught an accidental out-of- season salmon on the Wharfe whilst lure fishing for pike & perch so maybe I can carry that luck forward.
Wow on the Wharfe eh? Doesn’t surprise me as I don’t believe there’s any obstacles on the Wharfe. I know pike anglers catch some very early salmon on the Ure but don’t let your inexperience tell you, you’ve no chance as the fish don’t know that?
Good advice about fishing the tails and try and fish within your means and to cover the neck on a short line and always presume there is a fish following your fly is some good advice I recently read. If the beat is quiet you can always fish it through fast and go back later with something different.
Rain due to stop on Wednesday I think? So all being well you should could have a great days fishing.

kirk

Reaction score
I fished Abbey Beat today - it was pushing through at the beginning of the day and some parts were difficult to fish. However, by the end of the day it had dropped quite a bit and most of it was fishable.

It was surprisingly busy - I saw another 8 anglers at various times but I checked the catch reports in Jervaulx Fly Fishers box when I left and no-one had caught a salmon.

I will fish it again if I get the chance.

Last edited:

kirk

Reaction score
Wow on the Wharfe eh? Doesn’t surprise me as I don’t believe there’s any obstacles on the Wharfe. I know pike anglers catch some very early salmon on the Ure but don’t let your inexperience tell you, you’ve no chance as the fish don’t know that?
Good advice about fishing the tails and try and fish within your means and to cover the neck on a short line and always presume there is a fish following your fly is some good advice I recently read. If the beat is quiet you can always fish it through fast and go back later with something different.
Rain due to stop on Wednesday I think? So all being well you should could have a great days fishing.
There are a few difficult weirs on the Wharfe that potentially obstruct salmon but some get through and I have caught a few salmon parr and smolt on nymphs.

offshore

Reaction score
I fished Abbey Beat today - it was pushing through at the beginning of the day and some parts were difficult to fish. However, by the end of the day it had dropped quite a bit and most of it was fishable.

It was surprisingly busy - I saw another 8 anglers at various times but I checked the catch reports in Jervaux Fly Fishers box when I left and no-one had caught a salmon.

I will fish it again if I get the chance.
Thanks kirk, much appreciated.

The only other report I have been able to find, is somebody who fished Swinton yesterday in good water, but didn't catch - apparently.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Thanks kirk, much appreciated.

The only other report I have been able to find, is somebody who fished Swinton yesterday in good water, but didn't catch - apparently.
Maybe they have moved on to the spawning grounds or somewhere nearby?

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Not just a few. A couple of years ago there were so many salmon running up the face of Otley Weir that it became a spectator attraction.

Have a watch:

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Currently sheeting with rain. River at +4’ 6” and rising. Muddy and more coming. Should be good for Friday and the weekend.

willb

Reaction score
Got my first visit to Abbey beat on Thursday - hoping it drops enough to be fishable...

Andrew B

Reaction score
Got my first visit to Abbey beat on Thursday - hoping it drops enough to be fishable...
Going off forecast which is gonna be dry and sunny tomorrow and dry thereafter I’d of thought Thursday to be dropping and more importantly clear enough. Never easy judging this stuff but I’m hoping with the Ribble that a dry 24hrs tomorrow will see things fishable for the fly.

Overmiwaders

Reaction score
There will be a lot of extra Grayling anglers out over the weekend , it is the annual Yorkshire Grayling day. Last time that equated to about 40 or 50 extra rods..

O M W

willb

Reaction score
Had a nice time exploring Abbey beat on Thursday (and very useful to have MCX's beat guide). Sadly no salmon despite perfect river conditions - none seen, one swirl to my fly, several large out of season brownies. Will certainly go there again.

milemarker

Reaction score
Had a lovely day near Masham yesterday - river in very good order. No sign of any salmon moving but I thought I saw a sea trout. Amongst the brownies and grayling I had this which I thought looked quite finnock like. Any thoughts please?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Many congratulations, your smile says it all.

Catching was a considerable achievement with the water level so low. The day before I had no fewer than 6 salmon come to my fly, but none committed to take, so take that as proof the fishing wasn’t easy. Well done.

Overmiwaders

Reaction score
I fished the jervaulx Water on Sunday as a participant in the STA Yorkshire grayling day . Usually I ask to be placed in the draw so as not to get that section as i am a member but as I was with friends I didnt do that so of course as expected we drew the jervaulx beat , the river was in spanking form , there was a guy there fishing a single hander for sea trout but he didnt catch any , I did check the ice house gate book and did note that someone had caught a 12lb salmon I think on the 7th or 8th .Whilst fishing I didnt see any sign of salmon and not many grayling but the OOS trout were there ,

O M W

Last edited:

offshore

Reaction score
Anybody been out on this latest falling water ?

I am missing the Ure posts that used to be available on Facebook - the summer drought seems to have finished them off for good.