River Ure - Abbey Beat

Auldghillie

Reaction score
The Abbey Beat on the Ure at Jervaulx comprises 2 miles of single bank fishing upstream from Kilgram and downstream from the Blue Lion water. You will find a full beat guide with map and photos on Just One Week - Abbey Beat.
It must be really lovely country around there. Great shock when I passed by there years ago. Not too far from the best pub grub in Yorks at the Tiger.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
It really is beautiful: wholly different to Scotland as a result of more intensive hill and valley farming. Each of the Dales has its own character.

The Tiger has serious competition right across the county from pubs that deliver everything from Michelin starred posh to the most wonderful classic pub grub, to suit every taste. The Bolton Arms in Redmire and the Blue Lion in East Witton rate amongst the best fishing pubs there are.

Auldghillie

Reaction score
It really is beautiful: wholly different to Scotland as a result of more intensive hill and valley farming. Each of the Dales has its own character.

The Tiger has serious competition right across the county from pubs that deliver everything from Michelin starred posh to the most wonderful classic pub grub, to suit every taste. The Bolton Arms in Redmire and the Blue Lion in East Witton rate amongst the best fishing pubs there are.
You’re right, special kind of beauty. Can’t beat the tradionally-cured haddock at the Tiger.

Overmiwaders

Reaction score
I have been a member of Jervaulx for a few years. I have had Salmon membership since last year but what with everything going in in the world never got to fish for the salmon last year , but reading your blog has rekindled my enthusiasm , I am a keen sea trout angler but not much of a salmon angler must try harder..!!!...You are right though its a lovely place and easy wading...

O M W

milemarker

Reaction score
Thanks for another top quality review MCX.

I hadn’t even realised this was now listed on FishPal which is great news. Always been curious about this beat having fished Blue Lion several times and being a previous member of Thoresby Angling Club which allowed access to some of the opposite bank from Kilgram Bridge.

Have joined MAC this year which has some lovely runs and promising pools throughout although best avoided at peak times when the tourists are out and about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Thanks for another top quality review MCX.

I hadn’t even realised this was now listed on FishPal which is great news. Always been curious about this beat having fished Blue Lion several times and being a previous member of Thoresby Angling Club which allowed access to some of the opposite bank from Kilgram Bridge.

Have joined MAC this year which has some lovely runs and promising pools throughout although best avoided at peak times when the tourists are out and about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Many thanks for your kind words. In due course I intend to get onto the Blue Lion water to do the recce, photograph and write a review. Thereafter if I can take in some of the private beats around West Tanfield and the two club waters at Masham, then I will achieve full coverage from Aysgarth down to Sleningford.

ashley

Reaction score
I look forward to your writings on the Blue Lion water, it's somewhere I am going to fish this year, but cant even find a beat map anywhere lol......

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
yoyou ayq pop p plot lot
GK - translate?

Ha! I think the American term is ‘Ass-dial’

This thread was the last thing I was reading when called forward for my vaccine, I put the phone in my pocket and..... 😀.

Nice review as always BTW. I hope you are well and have a good season!

kirk

Reaction score
The Abbey Beat on the Ure at Jervaulx comprises 2 miles of single bank fishing upstream from Kilgram and downstream from the Blue Lion water. You will find a full beat guide with map and photos on Just One Week - Abbey Beat.
Your guide is excellent and I fully intend to have my first Yorkshire salmon trip on the Abbey Beat once we have had some rain.

Overmiwaders

Reaction score
I fished said beat yesterday for trout and grayling . The river is at its lowest I have ever seen it , Stagnant in places with silk weed coating the rocks. I certainly wont even try fishing for anything on it till it gets some rain. it is desperate for a flush through . There are some very large fish staying in the deep pools . Several jumped out while I was fishing . one frightened the bloody life out of me when it jumped just a few feet from me when i was stalking a trout.. It was interesting looking at the guide when I was there yesterday , You could see every big rock and depression in the runs , I did make a mental note of them. heres hoping..

O M W

kirk

Reaction score
I''m praying for some rain... but not until I get back from my week in Wales!

kirk

Reaction score
Well I may have gone too early because I am booked on for Sunday.

I'll do my best!

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Tight lines! You should have plenty of water. Concentrate on the tails of pools for arriving alert fish.

kirk

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice - I need it!

My total experience to date is 5 sessions on the Wye (over 2 year ago) for a 2lb chub and a couple of Shad.

kirk

Reaction score
...However, I have caught an accidental out-of- season salmon on the Wharfe whilst lure fishing for pike & perch so maybe I can carry that luck forward.

offshore

Reaction score
I didn't know Farsons had a camera at Wensley.

From the image, the river looks a good fishing height - maybe it's too dirty when you are stood next to it in real life.

The Yorkshire Game Fishing page on Facebook seems to have disappeared since I last looked in May. I hope he hasn't got fed up with it.

offshore

Reaction score
Well I may have gone too early because I am booked on for Sunday.

I'll do my best!
Any joy ? Struggling to find any recent reports, so keen to know if fish are being seen. Thanks.