River Ure 2020....

ChristophStevo

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Hope to be fishing the Ure a bit next year as I have just move to Skelton on Ure. I caught my first Salmon up on Bolton Hall 3 years back. Will be fishing the RPA waters to see if I can coax anything out.

Also just purchased a fishing maps for the River Ure which is brilliant....... just awaiting lockdown to end so I can get a bloody frame!

D

Deleted by request

Hi guys,

Hope to be fishing the Ure a bit next year as I have just move to Skelton on Ure. I caught my first Salmon up on Bolton Hall 3 years back. Will be fishing the RPA waters to see if I can coax anything out.

Also just purchased a fishing maps for the River Ure which is brilliant....... just awaiting lockdown to end so I can get a bloody frame!
Fishing maps that's interesting I maps but are line drawn photo copies of various beat

ChristophStevo

Reaction score
Just looking at it, sadly it doesn't have all the riparian owners on it. its a print of a hand drawn beat map for most of the ure Dalesman.

Does anyone know which club hold the rights for the fishing in Hackfall Woods?

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Contact Phil Ellis, Yorkshire Salmon Guide, he'll know. Failing that call Brian Towers at Yorkshire Fly Casting.

Ged

Reaction score
Can't help with Jervaulx Flyfishers, but Thornaby AA have a decent stretch above Kilgram bridge. If you've a few £s spare the beat below the bridge is up for sale.

D

Deleted by request

Can't help with Jervaulx Flyfishers, but Thornaby AA have a decent stretch above Kilgram bridge. If you've a few £s spare the beat below the bridge is up for sale.
Looking down stream from Kilgram bridge is the right bank or the left hand bank up for sale?
The left bank was bought by a estate who tried setting up a syndicate about 10 years ago and yearly fees of £1600 and the right hand bank has been a club water for over 100 years.

I was a member of Thornaby for a couple of years

dave1959

Reaction score
Thanks Ged. I was in Thornaby some years back and saw a few salmon moving on their stretch, but Jervaulx offers their stretch for salmon. trout and grayling. plus still water trout fishing. Which would cover most fishing for me.

Overmiwaders

Reaction score
Thanks Ged. I was in Thornaby some years back and saw a few salmon moving on their stretch, but Jervaulx offers their stretch for salmon. trout and grayling. plus still water trout fishing. Which would cover most fishing for me.
It is about 250/300 a year but normal membership does not give you salmon fishing . The salmon permits on Jervaulx are extra and ltd and there is another waiting list

O M W

ashley

Reaction score
I've fished the Thornaby stretch many times but there is only limited fly water IMO. To be honest it's not a great place; only three runs that can be fished and only one of those that is of a length where you can have a nice fish through.

Richarde

Reaction score
I was thinking of heading out to Swinton Park (or indeed somewhere else on the river) in the next few weeks and was wondering if anyone had been out on the Use for salmon so far this season? I heard of one 18lber caught back in April, but there's not much catch info on Fishpal Any news or updates gratefully received. There certainly hasn't been much water in the last few weeks

MCXFisher

Reaction score
No water = no activity = no fish

Don’t bother going out until there has been a good 2 metre spate to flush out the river and bring fresh fish up from the sea. There was a very good spring run but all those fish are long since fast asleep in residential lies.

Richarde

Reaction score
Just looking at it, sadly it doesn't have all the riparian owners on it. its a print of a hand drawn beat map for most of the ure Dalesman.

Does anyone know which club hold the rights for the fishing in Hackfall Woods?

That’s held by Tanfield. It is well fished for trout by members but not much so for salmon.

Richarde

Reaction score
No water = no activity = no fish

Don’t bother going out until there has been a good 2 metre spate to flush out the river and bring fresh fish up from the sea. There was a very good spring run but all those fish are long since fast asleep in residential lies.
And no serious rain for the next few weeks. No water on the Yorkshire Esk either and that very much a spate river

Rennie

Reaction score
Many rivers are now down to their bare bones!, migratory fish unless the Angler is very lucky will be in very short supply indeed!. Spate rivers can be forgotten about untill we've had a good bank topper to flush the crap out and we get clean, clear, oxygenated water to draw the fish in!
Pedro.

Richarde

Reaction score
And no serious rain for the next few weeks. No water on the Yorkshire Esk either and that very much a spate river
As a postscript to this little exchange, much to my surprise I saw a fresh, but smallish salmon moving through the pools in Hackfall at the weekend. I was fishing for trout at the time, so my spiders didn't much interest it.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
The Ure is now so low that the EA gauge at Bainbridge has ceased to function owing to the water being below the zero point. The Kilgram reading of 24/25 is the lowest I've seen since the dire 2014 season: normal low MSL is 33 cm.

Unfortunately there is no significant rain in the forecast in the next 2 weeks, which looks awfully like the history of 2014 will repeat itself.

dave1959

Reaction score
The Ure is now so low that the EA gauge at Bainbridge has ceased to function owing to the water being below the zero point. The Kilgram reading of 24/25 is the lowest I've seen since the dire 2014 season: normal low MSL is 33 cm.

Unfortunately there is no significant rain in the forecast in the next 2 weeks, which looks awfully like the history of 2014 will repeat itself.
Its dreadful Mike. All rivers are really struggling at the moment. I was fishing for barbel at the Swale confluence on the Ure a fortnight back, and there were some big salmon showing, but id imagine reluctant to move much further.

CharlieM

Reaction score

I was trying to speak, without luck, to Brian Towers about prospects this forthcoming week but I think you have just answered my question. In your opinion, is it totally hopeless or is there a glimmer of a chance of a fish? I would rather know now and save myself and my guest alot of needless mileage and wasted time if the former. Hope you are well btw.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Charlie,
No realistic chance and not worth the journey.
There are fish in the upper Ure, but they’ve been there since May and are now totally potted and brown. The pools are tiny and sluggish. There’s no pleasure on offer.

It’s a repeat of 2014. We shall need a good solid 2 metre spate sustained over several days to flush out all the muck and decaying vegetation, refresh oxygen levels, and pull fish up the system. The one hope is that the autumn fish haven’t yet transitioned into fresh water, in which case there will be some decent back end salmon.

It’s hard to be optimistic, even for me, Mr Irrepressible. 2014 was a dire season and this looks like going the same way.

CharlieM

Reaction score
Charlie,
No realistic chance and not worth the journey.
There are fish in the upper Ure, but they’ve been there since May and are now totally potted and brown. The pools are tiny and sluggish. There’s no pleasure on offer.

It’s a repeat of 2014. We shall need a good solid 2 metre spate sustained over several days to flush out all the muck and decaying vegetation, refresh oxygen levels, and pull fish up the system. The one hope is that the autumn fish haven’t yet transitioned into fresh water, in which case there will be some decent back end salmon.

It’s hard to be optimistic, even for me, Mr Irrepressible. 2014 was a dire season and this looks like going the same way.
Thank you Michael, I knew I'd get accurate information from you.
It is desperately disappointing, I've been looking forward to this for months. I have another trip scheduled for early October so crossing fingers we'll have that flush before then.