River Ure 2020....

ashley

Reaction score
Seems like the rain's here. I'm fishing the Ure this week coming..... should be plenty of fish around now. Looks like a big, big flood for tomorrow so hoping it will be perfect level for tuesday.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
There are loads of fish all over the Ure. The problem is that they’re just not interested in a fly. I’ve been working hard on Thoresby but only averaging one per day. That said, the 15 pounder on Thursday was a real treat.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
What's the solution - shrimp flies only?
I wish it was that simple! The sample size is too small to draw conclusions but it seems to be the case that if you put the fly right on a salmon's nose when it's having a rare moment of wakefulness, you may get lucky. The pattern doesn't seem to matter, as people have been catching at random intervals with all sorts. The time of day hasn't been consistent; no pattern is observable; and despite the numbers present few if any fish are showing. The salmon are calm, settled and comfortable, and the testosterone level in the cock fish hasn't yet risen to the level at which they get really stupid and lively.

The 15 was in a well-known lie close in to the side which people who don't know the beat disturb by wading too deep. I was using a mini-MCX Dark tungsten conehead fished deep, which probably met the fish close to eye level, gave it a start and prompted an aggressive cock fish response.

The 9 on Saturday was a moving hen fish taking a breather in a short halt lie at the head of a stretch of fast water, which took an MCX Dark #8 on a plain fluorocarbon leader. The Swinnithwaite rods on the opposite bank had 3 in that run on the same day.

In my book the solution is to keep on doing something broadly sensible and wait for the odds to come good. One bit of the jigsaw I've not yet puzzled out is the fall in water temperature over the past 4 weeks: at the start it was 14.7C, unusually warm for the Ure in autumn; after 2 weeks came down to around 12C; and this week fell from 10C (autumn average) to 8.4C, which is distinctly cool for the time of year. However, if this weekend's rain generates a spate of 4 feet or more it might churn things up a bit for the benefit of those fishing next week (tight lines Ashley on Tuesday).

ashley

Reaction score
There are loads of fish all over the Ure. The problem is that they’re just not interested in a fly. I’ve been working hard on Thoresby but only averaging one per day. That said, the 15 pounder on Thursday was a real treat.
I only want one for this season!!! ha ha . Think I've fished the ure 9 times so far, and had a great time, though no silver tourists yet. I wanted to book a day on Thoresby but it seems it's more popular than ever!! However, I'm confident...

CharlieM

Reaction score
I wish it was that simple! The sample size is too small to draw conclusions but it seems to be the case that if you put the fly right on a salmon's nose when it's having a rare moment of wakefulness, you may get lucky. The pattern doesn't seem to matter, as people have been catching at random intervals with all sorts. The time of day hasn't been consistent; no pattern is observable; and despite the numbers present few if any fish are showing. The salmon are calm, settled and comfortable, and the testosterone level in the cock fish hasn't yet risen to the level at which they get really stupid and lively.

The 15 was in a well-known lie close in to the side which people who don't know the beat disturb by wading too deep. I was using a mini-MCX Dark tungsten conehead fished deep, which probably met the fish close to eye level, gave it a start and prompted an aggressive cock fish response.

The 9 on Saturday was a moving hen fish taking a breather in a short halt lie at the head of a stretch of fast water, which took an MCX Dark #8 on a plain fluorocarbon leader. The Swinnithwaite rods on the opposite bank had 3 in that run on the same day.

In my book the solution is to keep on doing something broadly sensible and wait for the odds to come good. One bit of the jigsaw I've not yet puzzled out is the fall in water temperature over the past 4 weeks: at the start it was 14.7C, unusually warm for the Ure in autumn; after 2 weeks came down to around 12C; and this week fell from 10C (autumn average) to 8.4C, which is distinctly cool for the time of year. However, if this weekend's rain generates a spate of 4 feet or more it might churn things up a bit for the benefit of those fishing next week (tight lines Ashley on Tuesday).

Michael, top marks for a full reply!!

You refer to MCX this and that. Are these your own patterns presumably?

There's just 1 day left available at Thoresby on Weds 21st ... I think I'm going to go for it!

MCXFisher

Reaction score

There's just 1 day left available at Thoresby on Weds 21st ... I think I'm going to go for it!

Go for it!

You will find the details of the MCX Family of flies here. Owing to disability I can't tie flies myself and so rely on Peter Nightingale of Classic Flies to produce them to my design, which he does beautifully.

Since 2016, with the exception of 2 trips to Norway when I used Frodin designs, I have fished the MCX in its various forms to the exclusion of all other patterns. I just change the size and type to suit the conditions. It appears that I don't catch any fewer fish than anyone else fishing the same water, and often, more. As a result I'm content and have confidence in the MCX pattern, which is a very important factor. To fish with conviction you've got to believe in what you've got on the far end.

CharlieM

Reaction score

Thank you for the link to your blog ... absolutely captivating, extremely well-written as well as being hugely informative.

The link to Classic Flies has broken unfortunately, as I like your simple approach to fly patterns. I had a big fly audit recently and realise I have far too many that never get wet! I'd like to replace many of them with some of your patterns to clarify my decision making apart from anything else!

I'd also love to read up more about your MCX Score system if you don't mind sharing? One of the things I am not good at is being logical about how to approach each days' fishing. For sure I have 25+ years of experience, but I am primarily a trout fisherman, and salmon, whilst a gathering passion of mine, has always been slightly peripheral. I need to change that and your system would seem to be a good place to start!

offshore

Reaction score
Fishpal provides bookings on the Wensley Beat on the Bolton Estate page, but doesn't provide any details about the beat.

I have had a quick google but cant find much about it. Its cheaper and less well booked than the others, so fundamentally it cant be as good.

Does anybody know it?

Thanks

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Fishpal provides bookings on the Wensley Beat on the Bolton Estate page, but doesn't provide any details about the beat.

I have had a quick google but cant find much about it. Its cheaper and less well booked than the others, so fundamentally it cant be as good.

Does anybody know it?

Thanks

The Wensley beat is the stretch below Bolton Hall, running from Wensley bridge down towards Middleham. There are a couple of useful holding pools, but they need water to be effective. Quite a lot of fish spawn in the gravelly stretches of the main stem in this area.

The Bolton Hall beat offers better fishing, especially if there's a reasonable water level. The 3 pools nearest the hut - Lord's, Upper Park and the Ash Tree all hold fish.

To see some pictures of the water have a look at the following:

Lower section - the Park pools

Upper section - West Wood to the top boundary

There's some really nice fly water on this beat, but beware, the wading in the Lord's Pool and Upper Park is well down to North Tyne standards!

It doesn't have as good a catch record as Thoresby because it's nowhere near as heavily fished and on a straight comparison doesn't hold as many fish. Nonetheless, Bolton Hall stands comparison with most other beats on the Ure.

offshore

Reaction score
The Wensley beat is the stretch below Bolton Hall, running from Wensley bridge down towards Middleham. There are a couple of useful holding pools, but they need water to be effective. Quite a lot of fish spawn in the gravelly stretches of the main stem in this area.

The Bolton Hall beat offers better fishing, especially if there's a reasonable water level. The 3 pools nearest the hut - Lord's, Upper Park and the Ash Tree all hold fish.

To see some pictures of the water have a look at the following:

Lower section - the Park pools

Upper section - West Wood to the top boundary

There's some really nice fly water on this beat, but beware, the wading in the Lord's Pool and Upper Park is well down to North Tyne standards!

It doesn't have as good a catch record as Thoresby because it's nowhere near as heavily fished and on a straight comparison doesn't hold as many fish. Nonetheless, Bolton Hall stands comparison with most other beats on the Ure.

Thanks for that information. Wensley looks good value for somebody fairly local who can go when conditions are right. I probably need a bit more to go at, to justify the journey and make a full day.

Had a good day at Bolton Hall last year (using the information posted here) but only covered a small proportion of the available water; didnt even walk below Lords Bridge or fish the water immediately above it for that matter. I will look on the beat map to check the I fished all the 3 pools you mentioned.

ashley

Reaction score
Had another day on Bolton Hall today. Lovely fly water, but only saw one fish. I missed a couple of pulls, one in the water right under the Bridge......River was perfect and I really enjoyed myself, despite only catching a suicidal troot..... This is my 13th day on the Ure this year, only seen four fish in all that time, but I've got a fortnight left so going to keep going and say a prayer or two ha ha ha .... I had hoped to get a day on Thoresby but it got fully booked up very quickly and promptly disappeared from the fishpal page.... Hoping to have another day on the ure and one on the tyne before the end of play...all being well and water levels being ok.....

ashley

Reaction score
Had my last day's fishing for a Yorkshire salmon yesterday. The river was simply full to the brim with leaves, i've never seen anything like it. Never caught a salmon, despite 14 trips to the Ure, but there's always next year.... there's not been many reports, I wonder if many have been caught?....

CharlieM

Reaction score
Had my last day's fishing for a Yorkshire salmon yesterday. The river was simply full to the brim with leaves, i've never seen anything like it. Never caught a salmon, despite 14 trips to the Ure, but there's always next year.... there's not been many reports, I wonder if many have been caught?....

Me too; went on Wednesday to find the river lower than expected and very leafy, which was rather aggravating to say the least! As you say, there were plenty of good-sized fish showing occasionally and despite the leaves that rendered every other cast useless, I had hopes of connecting with one. Alas, by lunchtime I noticed that the rain falling elsewhere was rising the level rapidly and by approx 2 pm it had gone up a foot and turning the colour of chocolate. Endex :(

MCXFisher

Reaction score
I fished Bolton Hall yesterday (Thursday) with the water at a perfect height (80cm at Kilgram) and falling nicely, but a mite muddy. The downstream windy was strong, cold and made fishing difficult on a beat noted for deep water close in and challenging wading underfoot.
There were plenty of fish in Lord’s, most active between 10 and 1pm. All but one of those that showed were large. I missed 2 in 3 takes: the odd numbers are explained by a large salmon pursuing and attacking my fly twice while stripping in to recast. Unfortunately I was unable to convert his aggression and persistence into a hooking. However, the swirl as he turned, the slosh of the hole he created thereby, and his bow-wave - all twice - were really exciting.
Things went off the boil when traces of the dreaded Snaizeholme clay started to appear in the water coincident with the angle of the sun trending downstream. It was my last day of an extraordinary season, but I’m not downhearted on account of the numbers of fish in the Ure, which give good grounds for option over the river’s continuing recovery.
I was also using the day to test the Sage Igniter 12’ 6” #7, which I will report on J1W when I’ve had time to write it up.

milemarker

Reaction score
Has anyone any knowledge of the Jervaulx Fly Fishers beat with regards to salmon pools/holding water please? I know where the beat starts and ends but wasn’t sure of what is in between. Many thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D

Deleted by request

Have a look at site.

The following is from the site.

Over 2 miles of south bank fishing on the River Ure located within the Jervaulx Abbey park for brown trout, grayling and a limited amount of salmon fishing. The club has access to the river from Harker Beck mouth close to Jervaulx Abbey all the way down stream to Kilgram Bridge. With easy access to most of the river through the Jervaulx Park

D

Deleted by request

Rumour has it more Salmon are running the Swale than ever this year ? (y)
There's keen photographer on face book called Edgar Maily spent a days last year at Topcliffe Mill photographing Salmon leaping the Weir

Attachments

• 120672919_2899664036934034_4386697517890682004_o.jpg
    120672919_2899664036934034_4386697517890682004_o.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 120639632_2899622860271485_8967627660336878314_o.jpg
    120639632_2899622860271485_8967627660336878314_o.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 78
  • 120840830_2902073296693108_6925410103899232013_o.jpg
    120840830_2902073296693108_6925410103899232013_o.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 120672919_2899664036934034_4386697517890682004_o.jpg
    120672919_2899664036934034_4386697517890682004_o.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 72

milemarker

Reaction score
Have a look at site.

The following is from the site.

Over 2 miles of south bank fishing on the River Ure located within the Jervaulx Abbey park for brown trout, grayling and a limited amount of salmon fishing. The club has access to the river from Harker Beck mouth close to Jervaulx Abbey all the way down stream to Kilgram Bridge. With easy access to most of the river through the Jervaulx Park

Thank you for this.

Another Club question I am afraid...

I recall seeing adverts in previous years Trout and Salmon magazine issues at this time of year for Masham Angling Club - as yet I haven’t seen one.

Can anyone advise of membership and the water they have access too please?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk