River Ure 2020....

MCXFisher

Reaction score
The pool at the bottom of stretch 5 holds fish all season. Have a look at the J1W post on Swinton Park.
You may have been on the upper water above Masham, which I haven't fished.

ashley

Reaction score
The pool at the bottom of stretch 5 holds fish all season. Have a look at the J1W post on Swinton Park.
You may have been on the upper water above Masham, which I haven't fished.
Thanks for a great read....you're site is a superb collection of knowledge on the Ure..... My friend and I were going to go Sunday to the Swinton beat, but with winds of 40mp we decided to give it a miss!

andy345

Reaction score
Two fish at Swinton today (see Yorkshire Game Fishing FB pages), and one each reported at Bolton and Jervaulx Abbey.
I heard about those too, I shook hands with what felt a heavy fish yesterday and also saw 2 others move. It was great to get my 16 year old son out on the water in his brand new waders - his casting is coming along and 3 Bonny trout intercepted his monkey fly to give him some confidence.

Attachments

• 557B7B3E-B50C-479A-9A7F-A7C22428300A.jpeg
    557B7B3E-B50C-479A-9A7F-A7C22428300A.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 102
  • 5BC723C7-04C5-473E-B692-F448CCB4A79A.jpeg
    5BC723C7-04C5-473E-B692-F448CCB4A79A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 103

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
I fished Swinton today, I would have gone yesterday but had to be in the office. There's a reason Phillip Ellis is guiding, he definitely knows his stuff and hit the water just right. He told me last year that the second flood got the fish up to Swinton, I fished the first one to no effect, lo and behold on the second flood he nails a couple of cracking fish..... Well done to a top man. (y)

Today was a good height and it cleared throughout the day as the level dropped. There were 3 rods on the beat, one reported a Salmon-like pull and that was that for migratory fish. Nothing seen today either. I would never say never, but I think if there were lots of fish running through the middle river, then we'd have seen some evidence. If there were any taking fish present, surely they would have given one of us some action.

The bottom half of the beat has some lovely water, even if it is a little challenging to fish in some places. The wooded section is like a cross between the upper Dee and the Olympic Peninsula. If there were numbers of fish running, this would be a great place to intercept them in resting lies. There's a couple of deep pools, but they are pretty hard to fish. There's a long section where the bank is a sheer 40-80ft above the river, with no path down and overhanging trees. One of these pools looks like a great option - from the other bank:rolleyes:.

I wonder if the nature of the river system and, in particular, the barriers at Naburn, Linton, Boroughbridge and Newby Hall usually stop fish running the river in ways which would make this water a more attractive prospect. i.e. The fish can sit safely in deep, oxygenated water under a weir until the mood takes them and then they can run straight through to the upper reaches without any real pause. That would make it even more essential to be Johnny on the Spot and hit the middle river at just the right height and time. Just my 10p worth and I could be wrong as always.

Tight lines to all who get out.

ashley

Reaction score
I fished Swinton today, I would have gone yesterday but had to be in the office. There's a reason Phillip Ellis is guiding, he definitely knows his stuff and hit the water just right. He told me last year that the second flood got the fish up to Swinton, I fished the first one to no effect, lo and behold on the second flood he nails a couple of cracking fish..... Well done to a top man. (y)

Today was a good height and it cleared throughout the day as the level dropped. There were 3 rods on the beat, one reported a Salmon-like pull and that was that for migratory fish. Nothing seen today either. I would never say never, but I think if there were lots of fish running through the middle river, then we'd have seen some evidence. If there were any taking fish present, surely they would have given one of us some action.

The bottom half of the beat has some lovely water, even if it is a little challenging to fish in some places. The wooded section is like a cross between the upper Dee and the Olympic Peninsula. If there were numbers of fish running, this would be a great place to intercept them in resting lies. There's a couple of deep pools, but they are pretty hard to fish. There's a long section where the bank is a sheer 40-80ft above the river, with no path down and overhanging trees. One of these pools looks like a great option - from the other bank:rolleyes:.

I wonder if the nature of the river system and, in particular, the barriers at Naburn, Linton, Boroughbridge and Newby Hall usually stop fish running the river in ways which would make this water a more attractive prospect. i.e. The fish can sit safely in deep, oxygenated water under a weir until the mood takes them and then they can run straight through to the upper reaches without any real pause. That would make it even more essential to be Johnny on the Spot and hit the middle river at just the right height and time. Just my 10p worth and I could be wrong as always.

Tight lines to all who get out.
At least you had a go.... Swinton needs some serious bank work IMO, then there'd be a lot more fishing opened up. Also I think 4 rods is 2 rods too many.... If the lower pools had some time spent on them i think they'd be very good......

MCXFisher

Reaction score
I reckon that on the Ure, like so many other rivers, you can identify the conditions in which the salmon can run, but you can never be sure whether they will run. That is further complicated by its length and diversity, and by the ease of running most of its course.

What I mean by diversity is the huge extent of the running destinations and spawning areas. We know that some fish never bother to run much beyond Ripon, where they spawn either in tributaries like the Skell, or in the main stem between there and Tanfield. Others are heading for the far end of Bishopdale, 45 miles upstream as the river flows, or for any of the other tributaries along the way (and that's assuming that they're not going over Aysgarth Falls). This means that any initial rush is quite quickly dispersed.

The rate of dispersion is increased by the ease of running. Once a salmon has cleared the weir at Tanfield, if it so wishes it can easily sustain 3 mph all the way from there to Redmire Force. As a result, within 24 hours of a good run reaching Ripon, it may be spread out over a lot of miles of water. Moreover, as GK rightly pointed out, along the way there are lots of places where, if inclined, a salmon can drop anchor and lie doggo until the autumn. The deep sections around Tanfield have long been reputed to hold a lot of fish in dry years.

In the specific case of this week's run, it was making up for a long backlog brought about by exceptionally low water over the previous 4 months. With rainfall of only 6mm in March, 8mm in April, none in May, and little in June until the second week, a total of<20mm against an average aggregate of 200mm, the Ure was on MSL throughout the entire spring. Consequently there will have been several cohorts of salmon feeling a distinctly urgent need to make up lost ground. On that basis I don't think they would have been hanging about, and those fish are harder to catch by virtue of stopping less frequently. On the Ure at least they tend not to show much: I remember one day on Bolton Hall seeing nothing above the surface, but in one pool with the light behind me, there were plenty visible on their way past. I didn't touch a single one.

Given an unconstrained choice I should have liked to be at Sleningford last Thursday, but in the current circumstances you certainly don't give up an appointment with a good electrician! But if the water levels stay up reasonably well, you might just find me on Thoresby at some point next week, fishing the tails of the pools for new arrivals.

ashley

Reaction score
I fished Swinton this evening. The river was really fining off, visibility was gettign better and about 2 foot i'd say. it all seemed perfect but not a sniff. My mate broke his brand new rod on third cast..obviously a defect, so that meant we shared a rod for the afternoon and evening.... to be honest it was a lovely piece of water and we fished pools 2 and 3 and 4 very hard, no no cigar.... Who has the fishing rights at Redmire Force? does anyone know?

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Based on my knowledge as at last season, A private individual has the rights at Redmire Force and a short distance below down to the top boundary of the Bolton Hall beat. The fishing is not available.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Although the water levels are dropping off, there's still enough for salmon to run freely throughout the system. I shall be out on Friday when they will be even lower, not with any great expectation of catching, but rather for the joy of being out on the water for the first time this year, and better still, in the company of a very old friend (indeed, we're both rather old!).

ashley

Reaction score
Although the water levels are dropping off, there's still enough for salmon to run freely throughout the system. I shall be out on Friday when they will be even lower, not with any great expectation of catching, but rather for the joy of being out on the water for the first time this year, and better still, in the company of a very old friend (indeed, we're both rather old!).
I think i'll be out saturday afternoon....... just ordered some more material to tie a few mini tubes up....can't wait!!

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
I saw tha
I read that ten salmon came out of the Ure yesterday....

I’m working all this week, something which is a good thing really - except when fish are being caught!

Incidentally, I read Phil Ellis’s FB page and saw that there was at least one taking fish at Swinton last Friday and one of the other rods hooked it after I left, under the guidance of Phil!:ROFLMAO:

If you have the time you could do worse than give him a call. I booked him for my brother last year but my brother was working 7 days through Sep and Oct, so I took the day myself.
I’d never been keen on the idea before living in the US and I’d still prefer to fish alone and find things for myself.

However, I enjoyed the day more than I thought, lots of good information and good company too. I can’t justify the cost, given the money I’ve spent this year on fishing, but I think it is reasonable value considering the fish per trip and how hard he works for the rod.

Obviously this comes from a man whose first Yorkshire fish came courtesy of MCX Guiding Services Inc.

Glad to hear you are getting out MCX and I think you may have a decent chance on Friday. I nearly booked Thoresby as back up last Friday, but was concerned I may waste my money and wash out based on the forecast. In the event, the rain eased up and it would have been a lovely height to fish.

Tight lines

ashley

Reaction score
I saw tha

I’m working all this week, something which is a good thing really - except when fish are being caught!

Incidentally, I read Phil Ellis’s FB page and saw that there was at least one taking fish at Swinton last Friday and one of the other rods hooked it after I left, under the guidance of Phil!:ROFLMAO:

If you have the time you could do worse than give him a call. I booked him for my brother last year but my brother was working 7 days through Sep and Oct, so I took the day myself.
I’d never been keen on the idea before living in the US and I’d still prefer to fish alone and find things for myself.

However, I enjoyed the day more than I thought, lots of good information and good company too. I can’t justify the cost, given the money I’ve spent this year on fishing, but I think it is reasonable value considering the fish per trip and how hard he works for the rod.

Obviously this comes from a man whose first Yorkshire fish came courtesy of MCX Guiding Services Inc.

Glad to hear you are getting out MCX and I think you may have a decent chance on Friday. I nearly booked Thoresby as back up last Friday, but was concerned I may waste my money and wash out based on the forecast. In the event, the rain eased up and it would have been a lovely height to fish.

Tight lines
Hi, approx how much is Phil Ellis for the day?

ashley

Reaction score
Looks like the Ure is rising again!!! It might be bang on by the weekend.....

ashley

Reaction score
River seems to be running a bit of water, and might just do for the foreseable..... should be starting to get plenty of fish in the system...

ashley

Reaction score
I've had seven trips to the Ure so far this year, various stretches...no silvers yet, but had some clonking brownies... just waiting for the rains to come now.......i reckon the next good flood there'll be plenty of salmon in the upper reaches......there's some good fly water below kilgram bridge, owned by The Buck Inn fly fishing club....does anyone know anything about this club...looks superb water...

MCXFisher

Reaction score
We need a concerted Yorkshire rain dance: summon Simon Grace and his bagpipes, we're that desperate.

ashley

Reaction score
Does anyone have a beat map of the Blue Lion stetch please? I'd like to know if there's plenty of fly water..